Adventure ride of the Odd Couple or "I wish I had gone alone!"(to Tuk & Deadhorse)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gone_Ridin, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Gone_Ridin

Gone_Ridin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well you had me intrigued so I pulled the trigger, also went for the recommended second book; figure I could use this advice as well upload_2019-3-6_16-9-36.png

Thanks for the info!
    KHVol, BruceT and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  2. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Yes, its happened to me a few times now, figure I'd know better.
  3. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    'Bob' and Kiwi Canuck like this.
  4. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Day 15: Aug 27th So from here on out the ride picks up the pace, a lot less pictures taken and will definitely be a much less interesting and entertaining read.

I filled my bike up and had a toast and coffee before leaving Toad River. It was about 8am when I finally twisted the throttle on another beautiful, crisp morning. The smoke wasn’t quite as bad as it had been arriving on the previous evening and the road was just twisty enough to keep your attention at speed; I was having a blast. After a long construction stop, then a slow pilot vehicle follow, I finally arrived in Fort Nelson at about 10am. After filling up at the same station I had on the way up, I lifted the kickstand and pushed the bike to the convenience store for another coffee; not dropping it twice in the same parking lot! Another long, uneventful ride, other than several long construction stops, to Fort St John. After filling in Fort St John I continued on to Dawson Creek and now being in need of a front tire decided I would stop for a late lunch.

While waiting for my meal, I was going through the notebook/diary my daughter had given before leaving on the ride. She is always after me to document my rides, she thinks my having to keep track of things will get me to slow down and maybe enjoy it more. She had given me a nice, blank one for my last ride in Eastern Europe and this one she had made. It had pre-separated sections for each province and headings for details on mileage, times, memorable sights and events. Even map cut outs of each province and state I would be going through to separate each section. As I looked through it I could see how my recording changed by how the day was going with buddy or if I was riding by myself until Coldfoot/Deadhorse/Coldfoot day; I hadn’t written in it since. I have been riding motorcycles since I was 5 and then, because of business and family, I stopped in my late 20s. Got back into it about 13 years ago and it has been by go to activity when business pressure’s or depressing events need to be washed from my mind. Nothing like a 500k blast to clear my head. At that point I kind of realized I was in such a hurry to put distance between buddy and I that I wasn’t having any fun, even riding fast. I wasn’t taking pictures, I wasn’t stopping to just talk to people with interesting vehicles or at small roadside novelty shops as I generally do. Those had been the most interesting and memorable parts of my trips in other parts of the world and in my rush to escape buddy I was not taking the time to enjoy that now. It actually made me sad and I decided I needed to salvage what remained of this ride.

I left Dawson Creek and headed for Prince George, surely I could find a new front tire there and the riding, twisty lines on the map, should be good. Google was right and it was just what I needed to clear my head and enjoy the rest of this day’s ride, so much so that I still didn’t stop for pictures. Arriving in Prince George I first found a string of motels that were surely home to Meth labs, continuing further into the city I found mostly no vacancy signs. Finally, at a stop light I motioned to a city bus driver. He opened his window and told me it would be tough with all the fire evacuees in town but to try up ahead at Grama’s Inn; “It’s not fancy but it’s clean and they make some of the best breakfasts in town”. Away I go and get one of the last rooms they have. Place is full of people uncertain as to what’s happening at home and some seem to have been there a while. I ask the guy manning the desk where a good place to eat nearby would be and he suggests the Oakroom Grill, sounds promising. So I take a walk over and wouldn’t you know it; they’re closed Mondays. Oh well walk over to Triple O’s and grab a gut bomb meal deal, then to the 10th street Liquor store for a couple tallboy, microbrew, pilsners and back to the room to feast and crash.

How can you not have a smile on your face when you've got 125hp between your legs and this twisty strip of pavement staring at you first thing in the morning!
    IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1038.JPG

Another day done.
  5. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, SOME of the aggravation was supplanted by ecstasy...
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  6. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Or just a Rub & Tug...
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  7. DGSKC

DGSKC n00b

Oddometer:
    +This half of the father\son team notes (1) note the former "sled racing" comment, you do move at an "above average" pace - we liked it (nothing like blowing through a arctic minefield at 115kph+), but does suck the gas and would be well above the pace that most riders would even think about on that surface, (2) very much enjoyed toss'n a brew at Coldfoot and would do so again if our paths cross, and (3) we're thinking Tuk this summer. Hope all is well
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  8. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Wow, nice to hear from you! How was your ride home? When next year do you think you might be hitting the Dempster?
    Would be nice to cross paths and tip a few again!
  9. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Day 16: Aug 28th I was up fairly early and at the bike shop when they opened. The only tire they had on hand that was the right size and not a full on dirt knobby was a Heidenau Scout K60. The service guy did not like the idea of me changing the tire in their parking lot so I rode it into the shop. I should have known that it was going to be a slow process when the “Mechanic” changing the tire said “Oh, you don’t have a centre stand, hmmm. I’ll have to figure something out to get it off.” Then went looking for help. It was a quarter after 10 when I finally left the dealership….

I headed East along the Fraser river to Jasper, the closer I got the more I was reminded why I hate tourist areas. The back ups, traffic jams and stupid places people will park for pictures drives me nuts. I began pretending I was in Europe and started lane splitting and pulling to the front of line ups which made for interesting reactions from many of the tourists. It was 1 o’clock local time when I finally arrived in Jasper and I was seriously considering skipping riding the ice fields parkway south. I took a coffee break after gassing up and looked the map over, trying to make my mind up. At the park entrance I had told them I was just going through to Hinton so I hadn’t paid the gate entry so I though; well I’m in for free, if the traffic gets too stupid I can always cut out at hwy 11 or 93A.

Once I had decided to give it a shot I finished my coffee and Snickers bar lunch and headed south, what the hell, another park gate? No problem I’ll just tell the I’m not staying in, cutting off on 11. No deal, Ranger Rick ain’t buying it and I’m this far in so I pay the gate and take off. Once a little ways down the traffic thins and there are just pockets here and there where site seers have congregated and are leaving from scenic pull offs. But what friggin “Scenics” am I looking at? It seems as if I no sooner paid entry and began riding in the park everything has been covered in smoke. The only thing to take a picture of is the sign telling you what you would have seen if the smoke wasn’t hiding it! I got to see the bottoms of several glaciers and the lower sides of some, I’m assuming, beautiful mountains. I’m kinda pissed and as I get close to lake Louise, I’m looking for the park entrance gate. I figure they owe me a refund or at least a discount! You know what, I must have missed it somehow or the highway exiting isn’t near the entrance so I don’t get a chance to express my disappointment with them. Guess when I get home I’ll get the name of the tree huggers group that’s responsible for blocking proper forest management in BC and send them a request for reimbursement! Ya that’ll work!

Now I’m sitting at the junction of Hwy 1 and 93 trying to figure out where to next, the twists on google would indicate following 93 south is the correct choice and I head off again. The riding from here to Radium springs is great and with little traffic. Hmmm wonder if it’s because of all the smouldering forests I riding through. When I arrive in Radium and stop to gas up I only have to observe the class of cars running around and parked at the motels to deduce that I probably won’t be getting a room here and continue on along the Columbia river south. The change of landscape as I head towards Cranbrook is beautiful and while taking everything in, I somehow make the turn to Kimberly. It’s knocking on 7pm when it get to the centre of town and I decide to take a room here and call it a day. After checking in and unpacking my gear I give the wife a call to see what’s happening at home. When I tell her where I’ve stopped for the night she tells me some friends of ours live in Kimberly, hmm no shit, that’s nice, well I’m heading over to the Sullivan pub for a bite and a beer. G’night.

So I’m sitting in the pub, having a beer and waiting for my dinner when in walks our friend; I guess a few keystrokes on facebook and the wife had let her know I was here. She checked at the motel and they told her I had headed over here for dinner. So a late evening of catching up and I call it a night without a clue what I’ll be doing tomorrow and no pictures(I had been only using my good camera to try and zoom through the smoke and appear to have lost the memory card) from today. Great!
    nk14zp likes this.
  10. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Day 17: Aug 29th I get a bit later start this morning; about 8:30 when I pull out of Hotel Kimberly. I had considered continuing South to Boise but after talking with the wife last night it sounds like she’s got some things that need doing. I wasn’t there for her birthday and I have a half bake plan for a fall ride in Europe so I could use the brownie points that I’m eligible for if I arrive home early from this ride. And hey, this way I’ll cross Crow’s Nest pass; buddy was always telling me what a treacherous stretch of road it is, comparable to passes in the Alps I’m sure he’s said. Spoiler Alert: this pass is way over rated! After stopping to take pictures at the sign letting you know you were entering the pass, it is just an occasionally twisty road or I should say highway. The rockslide area is impressive to see but really I was actually disappointed. And then, once on the other side; fack, that is the definition of prairies!! Looking for a tree to piss behind, you better have a strong fackin bladder cause it’s going to be a while! And then it happened, like John Belushi realizing his mission from God in the Blues Brothers, I saw it! The sign said “Brocket 16km” !! For those of you that have never heard of Brocket that would mean you’ve never heard of the infamous “Brocket 99 Radio” recordings. It’s awesome!! Before you call me racist, know that I am Metis and not just 1:2,500 like that lady politician in the states, like a half on my Dad’s side so calm down. I couldn’t wait to pull over in front of the Brockett sign in 16km and get a picture, maybe ride into town and get a picture in front of the “Big TeePee” FUCK Ya, “Up and At Em” boys!! But as my luck would have it, when I got there the sign does not say Brockett, it has been changed to the Native name Piikani,,… something or other. I rode around trying to find a Brockett sign but no luck was so heartbroken I didn’t even bother taking the picture I had been looking forward to, in front of the big Teepee.

I would then cut South at Ft MacLeod and pick up the Red Coat trail south of Kimball and head East. I think it was just after Milk River that the Red Coat turns to gravel and would stay that way until Consul in Saskatchewan. I seemed to have also chosen maintenance day to ride it and it seemed like I was riding on freshly graded, loose gravel and having to cross windrows much of the time on the gravel. I would finish my day’s ride in Assinaboia Sk about 6:30. With all the oilrig work in the area there were not a lot of motel options to choose from but I managed to find a decent place on the East side of town that was connected to a pizza place and bar so I wouldn’t have to walk too far to find my bed after a few beers.

Figured I'd better take one before going over, bit of a disappointment
    PHOTO_20180829_102731.jpg
    PHOTO_20180829_102752.jpg

If you're looking for a tree to take a leak behind in Southern Alberta you'd better have a strong bladder!! PHOTO_20180829_124707.jpg

I'm not a carpenter but I think the guy who hung this door only played one on TV, or maybe not. Yes it is actually closed and that is the gap left around it, notice the piece of angle steel to get it to latch.
    Glad it was too cool out for mosquitoes!
    PHOTO_20180830_065337.jpg
    BruceT, wilfred, Ozarks Rider and 8 others like this.
  11. MrBob

MrBob Rabbitbrush Ranger Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Here he's shown on the ride to California with his son on the back. The book caused quite a stir when published in 1974. I already had one sizable tour under my belt at that time, on another 305cc Superhawk, and his book helped inspire another 40 years of touring.
  12. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shame you didn't get to see the Icefields Parkway in all its glory. As many have said...it was one of the best parts of my ride to Alaska.
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  13. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the bizarre crash bars on your buddy's AT should have given a hint.
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  14. davesride

davesride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a patience testing partner a while back while on a trip similar to yours, we parted company in Whitehorse on the way home, wife was gonna kill him...lol
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great memories with the Crowsnest Pass sign. The quiet Alberta gem few pay notice to. Thanks.
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  16. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    15 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    Now this has been a very entertaining ride report.....
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  17. Gone_Ridin

Oddometer:
    Day 18: August 30th Another early morning, on the road by 7am. It’s Saskatchewan and not a whole lot of scenery to take in, although I do enjoy stopping and looking around old, abandoned farms. Really gets you thinking about the people who homesteaded these areas in the early years. Had to be some tough, determined SOBs.

I would stick to the red coat trail all the way into Manitoba. So often I would look down and find myself cruising 120, 140, 150… thankfully the area’s law enforcement was otherwise occupied! It was just after 2pm when I made it to Winnipeg, would have stayed south but needed to make a pit stop there to check on a piece of equipment for a business opportunity. It had to have been one of the windiest days of the summer and I swear, at times on the perimeter, I had the bike leaned at a 45 degree angle, expecting the wheels to blow out from under me . Then another vehicle would break the wind, from the side, and I would just about shoot across both lanes.

It was nice to finally make the Richer area, where there are actually some trees, and have somewhat of a wind break. Another stop at the Ranger Station, East of Hadashville, for gas and it would be a straight shot home. Pulled up to my garage at 6:04pm; 18 days, 14,765km since staring out and according to the KTM Trip calculator an average speed of 110kph.

Buddy showed up 8 days later; he had stopped in Fort St John for a day to have his fork seals replace and some other warranty work done. He then visited a friend for a weekend somewhere in BC before making a hard push across to my place. He spent the night before heading for home across the great lakes. Called a couple days later when he had completed the last 1500km of his ride. Haven’t heard from him since.

So that’s it for my break in ride on the 1090, other than I still have to go back that way to ride the West coasts of BC and Alaska. But that may be a while as the next ride will be Morrocco in May and South America next fall.

See ya.

PHOTO_20180830_072934.jpg

Oh Saskatchewan and I finally ended up using the gas I put in that can in Whitehorse,... in my lawnmower! PHOTO_20180830_074704.jpg
    And the readout at my garage door
    PHOTO_20180830_180643.jpg

The sunset walking my dogs, with my daughter, the evening I got home
    PHOTO_20180830_192704.jpg
  18. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man what a great report!! Been following along and enjoyed every installment of your awesome story.You defiantely lay down some kilometers! Take care until next time! Cheers!
    Gone_Ridin likes this.
  19. chudzikb

chudzikb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, what happened to your buddy, can't leave us hanging on that one, can you?
  20. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    Great RR!!
    Gone_Ridin likes this.