Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    Ditto! Damn man, the pic under the caption, “...picking up speed” - phenomenal. Shots like that where you can see the track way off in the distance are fantastic.

Great set of pictures Joe. I need to ride :ricky :thumb
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    We’re climbing into the forest at this point. We’ll top out at about 10,500’.
    Day5e - 1.jpg

Once we reach the ridge, a whole different zone of madness is on display below us. Too hot to screw around down there right now but we'll be back.
    Day5e - 2.jpg

It’s about a perfect day to hit the high elevation terrain. Temperature was really nice.
    Day5e - 4.jpg

The Presiding High Council stops to deliberate on where camp will be for the night. We all agree we want to drop a little elevation before calling it quits.
    Day5e - 3.jpg

It takes a while to get into lower terrain. The plateau we are riding is quite broad. No trees in sight which means no wood for a fire.
    Day5e - 5.jpg

I suggest heading for terrain that I know of where there are aspen trees and most likely good camp spots. It’s late now and we’re pretty tired. There are still no trees in sight and the apostles are questioning my judgement.
    Day5e - 6.jpg

I have this Forest Service cabin marked on a map as a place to go during bad weather. Turns out it’ll make a fine camp with plenty of wood scattered about. Does it look like the Presiding High Council is wishing they’d packed along chairs? Don’t think so.
    Day5e - 7.jpg

Whiskey and fire and then Blurry Murray demonstrates his alternative chair set up. He states it also doubles as a cot. Why anyone would pack along a chair is beyond us.
    Day5e - 8.jpg

After enough alcohol is consumed, out come the Adjustaforks. Joe and Mo grabbed a couple of Cornish Game Hens which they split down the middle and stabbed with the forks. Blurry and Drey Dog went with brats.
    Day5e - 9.jpg

Talk about an awesome meal!! The corn roasted on the coals was freaking good! I let the chicken go for at least an hour. It was falling off the bones. Nice little side dish of fresh vegetable soup. There was quite a bit of nonsense coming out of our drunken mouths, then, lights out!
    Day5e - 10.jpg
    wilfred, scudo, benedikt.m and 23 others like this.
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That right there is the life!
  4. svo_jon

svo_jon n00b

Oddometer:
    Game hens.... brilliant! now im hungry
  5. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Game hens are just little chickens, but calling them "Cornish game hens" raises the prestige and price. I'm calling an ADV-F foul. Or fowl.
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Fantastic views once again @Joe Motocross :thumb

Great spot to camp too, especially finding that much wood for a fire. The grub over the fire looks killer. Dumb question about the corn on the coals, do you soak it first? And how long do you typically leave in on 'em? Heading out for a long weekend of trail riding (from a base camp) and will have my adjusta in use - think I'll bring some corn too.

And LOL to @Scribe's comment on calling fowl :lol3 :lol3

Looking forward to the next update :ricky
  7. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just one question...Where? Which trails/roads? Maybe just a hint now and then? I know, it's a secret.....
    derblauereiter likes this.
  8. borderxx

borderxx ifalldown

Oddometer:
    Sure, and tomorrow, Ewan McGregor will be out there. And the next day there will be 1.2 million R1200GS' out there with folding chairs all over the landscape.
    Zubb, Yinzer Moto, everready and 2 others like this.
  9. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the booze did it's job and peak campfire camaraderie was achieved.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Thank you for pointing this out. While I'm quite aware of what a Cornish Game Hen actually is, I mistakenly used that term so the common man understood what I'm talking about. I fully agree with your reasoning and I think this may be a necessary entry in the Minimalist Manifesto:

ADV-Fs will NEVER use the term "Cornish Game Hen" because is suggests a prestige that the ADV-F will never achieve. He will simply use the term "chicken" or perhaps "yard bird", "fowl", or something similar regardless of the size of the bird.

I'll need to get the Presiding High Council to review this at the next committee meeting and get a "yea" vote before it's officially entered.
    wilfred, BillUA, Ginger Beard and 3 others like this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I think you knew the answer before you were finished pecking your keyboard.
    Bingo.

If you're savvy and do some research, there are enough little hints in the photos to clue you into the zones we are in.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Day 6: Fast cruising in the high country

Holy crap man! This is what we freaking live for!!
    Day6a - 1.jpg

The ADV-Fundamentalist first choice is always to sleep out under the stars. No, they are not afraid of snakes or other “creepy crawlies”.
    Day6a - 2.jpg

A small fire in the morning is the preferred method for cooking. This obviously eliminates having to pack a stove. The ADV-Fundamentalist always attempts to streamline and leave anything unnecessary behind.
    Day6a - 3.jpg

Stoves are generally frowned upon by fundamentalists mainly because cooking over with fire is obviously the most pure way. It also requires the least amount of gear. Blurry Murray likes to be difficult and he carries one of those little butane stoves to heat up his little hipster coffee and some quick oats. The rest of the council try to overlook this flaw in him.
    Day6a - 4.jpg
    wilfred, scudo, benedikt.m and 15 others like this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Just throw them on the coals. Blurry likes to peel back a single layer of the husk each time he rotates them. You can let them go at least 10 minutes, maybe more to get a real nice roasted taste.
    yakawars59, liv2day and Yinzer Moto like this.
  14. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    On the outside chance I decide to wash the 1200 and relegate it to Klim Clad trips to the dealership and large group rides to the latest coffee roasterery, or vineyard . . . and build up a real dirty dirt bike. . .
    is 450cc to large to be considered ADV-F?

asking for a friend.
  15. LMSB

LMSB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    450cc... to small
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Haha! We prefer the 500s but I don't think there's any hard rule. @Buuurrrt will be joining the council on the next day and his current desert sled is a 300 two stroke.

This day started out warm at 9400’. Two members of the Presiding High Council need to be home at the end of the day and we have quite a bit of mileage to cover so we’ll be choosing high speed routes rather than the intricate dead end madness that we often search out.
    Day6b - 1.jpg

We are now drifting back north with good views of the mountains in the distance that we traveled through during the last few days.
    Day6b - 2.jpg

We get to a road we saw marked on a map. It’s quite a bit more sparse than we anticipated. Sometimes these go well, sometimes not so well. This isn’t exactly what we want to do on this day but we proceed rather than backtracking and finding a “work around”.
    Day6b - 3.jpg

The route pans out for us this day and becomes more well traveled.
    Day6b - 4.jpg

Next we are onto a historic route that used to be the main passage between two prominent valleys before the new paved highway went in.
    Day6b - 5.jpg

These types of routes are excellent to know about if you need to cover ground fast.
    Day6b - 6.jpg

Next we get back onto marked ATV trails. I liked the colors in the field.
    Day6b - 7.jpg

We start dropping down a lush canyon.
    Day6b - 9.jpg

The route crosses the stream numerous times.
    Day6b - 8.jpg

Soon, myself and The Jack Muslim are having a puddle splashing contest.
    Day6b - 10.jpg
    wilfred, scudo, benedikt.m and 20 others like this.
  17. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Man I've GOT to make it back out there next year!
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Cool shots @Joe Motocross, glad the dated track didn't turn into a dead end and you were able to get a couple of the council guys back to civilization before the warrants were issued (lol).

@Zubb - I'm going to respectfully disagree with @LMSB on the displacement take. I have a WR250 that's covered 2600+ miles in Baja, ~800 miles in Death Valley, and several thousand miles in SE Oregon and locally around home. While I seriously miss the grunt of my previous 690, the 250 is super reliable and has enough oomph to go just about anywhere. Having said that, had Honda released their 450L a year earlier, I'd be on that instead. Personally, I think that'd make the perfect platform for the type of rides Joe describes and the type of stuff I like to do most. Not a perfect bike as you'll likely despise it on any lengthy asphalt stretch, but for this type of riding I think it's ideal. Same can probably be said for the 500s or Huksy 501, have followed @Aaron.S' report for over a year now and he's taken it around the world. Two of my buddies have 500s for this type of riding and they both like them very much.

Anyway, sorry to go off trajectory on your thread Joe, simply wanted to add my perspective.

Looking forward to what's on the adjusta tonight, also looking forward to putting both of my to use this weekend - brats, carne asada, chix thighs, peppers, and likely some other veggies. And maybe corn on the coals if I can find some given the time of year.
    Joe Motocross and Zubb like this.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You can get a lot of shit done on a WR250. Great bike. They just come up a little bit short in the power department if you're doing any serious hill climbing. They're also a little under powered when your jamming long sections of deep sand. 250s will get the job done but if you want to get stupid, don't screw around and go for the 500. Not much weight difference, major gain on the throttle.

Hope your ride goes well @liv2day
    wilfred, BillUA, Bt10 and 4 others like this.
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Getting wet feels good in the warm temps.
    Day6c - 1.jpg

The canyon starts to open up and we’re heading for a fuel stop.
    Day6c - 2.jpg

At the fuel stop Blurry pulls out some leftovers from the night before. What you don’t do is cook bratwurst lengthwise on the Adjustafork because it looks like you’re eating a part of the male anatomy.
    Day6c - 3.jpg

Back up to the high terrain.
    Day6c - 4.jpg

The riding is easy but the views are intense!
    Day6c - 5.jpg

Big country up here in the mountains.
    Day6c - 6.jpg

This route runs right along the spine of this range. We hang between 10,000 and 11,000 feet in elevation.
    Day6c - 7.jpg

Every canyon that drops down has exquisite views.
    Day6c - 8.jpg

There are roads and trails crisscrossing all over up here.
    Day6c - 9.jpg
    wilfred, scudo, benedikt.m and 19 others like this.