Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Color just adds extra weight.
    danh600, Plebz and Joe Motocross like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    We drop one more rocky dugway carved into the hillside and hit the road into town.
    Day7d - 1.jpg

Within a few minutes we’re stocking up at the local market. We get dinner, breakfast, water and beer. Weather is threatening so Drey and I choose food accordingly. We get some stuff that we can either heat on the Adjustafork over the fire or eat cold if there's too much wind/rain. Buuurrrt already has a steak so he's hoping for the best.
    Day7d - 2.jpg

We go to get fuel but we’re out of luck. Under construction. This is going to force us to think a bit about our route. Buuurrrt’s got 100 mile range with his two stroke adventure bike and we've already done about half of that. Drey and I would have 250 mile range had we filled our tanks in the morning so we’re about even with Buuurrrt at this point. If we continue on our current trajectory, it’s going to be a bit tight on fuel. The other option is 10 miles of asphalt north to gas or 15 miles of asphalt south to gas.
    Day7d - 3.jpg

Fuck it. We keep going without fuel. We intend to beg a gallon off someone if the opportunity presents itself. This route beats the shit out of pavement. The unknown fuel situation adds to the excitement.
    Day7d - 4.jpg

We weave through a maze of two tracks and washes for about an hour. We are in our element!
    Day7d - 5.jpg

We ride by an old well rig. I snap a photo to add to my collection of abandoned well rigs. I think I’m up to 5 now scattered around this territory.
    Day7d - 6.jpg

We come onto another dugway that drops us down to a river. The dugway is in bad shape and the quaders have abandoned it as a regular usable route.
    Day7d - 7.jpg

With no ATV’s rolling through here anymore, the vegetation has taken over the trail. We work our way to the creek crossing.
    Day7d - 8.jpg
    scudo, wilfred, BillUA and 23 others like this.
  3. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuck it. We keep going without fuel. We intend to beg a gallon off someone if the opportunity presents itself. This route beats the shit out of pavement. The unknown fuel situation adds to the excitement.

I like your style, there have been many times I have been on reserve just to barely make it somewhere. But I have been known to carry a old oil quart bottle with some gas in it also.
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    A whole lot of "YES" happening in this RR. :lurk
    dano619 likes this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We get to the spot where the route crosses the river. Now, I’ve been accused in the past of making people do “unnecessary river crossings”. However, I argue that every crossing is necessary. If you don’t practice these, you may not fare so well when it comes time to actually needing to get across. This one is actually necessary on our route. The river flow is low right now which is typical for a stretch of dry weather in the fall. When things are flowing more and are questionable, we’ll walk the creek bottom first before just punching it. We’ve learned over the years. We like river crossings because there’s always a little excitement that comes with them. There’s always a chance something might go wrong and this thrills us a bit. No need to walk this one. I punch it first.
    Day7e - 1.jpg

@Buuurrrt hits it next and has a clean crossing.
    Day7e - 2.jpg

However, on the other side he decides that he’s going to give us a little "wheelie victory salute" to show us what a badass he is.
    Day7e - 3.jpg

Drey Dog and I are documenting this stunt from different angles as we see Buuurrrt’s foot come off the peg.
    Day7e - 4.jpg

Yep, he’s in trouble.
    Day7e - 5.jpg

It’s all going wrong. Nothing he can do at this point.
    Day7e - 6.jpg

This is EXACTLY the type of shit we are hoping that will happen at these crossings. We love it.
    Day7e - 7.jpg

Drey and I are pissing ourselves with laughter rejoicing that we’ve documented this "faux pas" so well.
    Day7e - 8.jpg

Drey and I collect ourselves from the hysterics and Buuurrrt determines his freshly broken rear fender isn’t detrimental. Drey comes across without incident although perhaps a little off balance because he's still chuckling a bit.
    Day7e - 9.jpg
    scudo, wilfred, BillUA and 32 others like this.
  6. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

Great captures by both of you, always a good time to see a fellow rider & friend eat $hit "gently". Did you tell him he should have run a different spring in his 2-smoker ADV bike...lol? Guess the hit from that power valve was a bit too much :rofl I keed, I keed Burrrt - love the 2-smokers and how awesome they are at trail riding, tight stuff, etc.

Enjoying the updates @Joe Motocross, though I'm starting to wonder if you mistakenly switched to black and white on your camera :lol2

Hope the weather holds for you man, enjoyed using my adjustas this past weekend.

[​IMG]
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Too much braaaap in Buuurrrt's wrist :lol3
    yakawars59 and Joe Motocross like this.
  8. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or to much whiskey in his throttle.
    yakawars59 and Joe Motocross like this.
  9. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What good is life if you can't laugh at your friends when they screw up? Screw all this coddling we have in society today, my friends and I are merciless to each other, and that is how it should be!
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Good to see those forks are getting some use! Solid!!

Thanks for this. I think this deserves an entry within the Minimalist Manifesto:
    Fellow ADV-Fundamentalists shall not coddle one another
    jays100, jonz, yakawars59 and 2 others like this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We continue on our eastward trajectory. The trail is still sparse from lack of quad traffic but it’s in enough still to be quite fun.
    Day7f - 1.jpg

Soon, the route becomes more traveled and our speed picks up. Good riding.
    Day7f - 2.jpg

We make it out to even more well traveled roads. Now we have to make some decisions which we seemed to struggle with. We probably stopped 4 to 6 times in spots like this and discussed our options about which way we could go and what we wanted to accomplish. I’m guessing we wasted an hour chatting about how we were going to deal with our fuel situation. Had we just made a move, we could’ve ridden into a town, fueled up and been back out at this spot in the same time we wasted trying to figure our shit out.
    Day7f - 3.jpg

We finally made a decision on what to do and we started implementing our plan. We decided we would attempt to find a route that I had ridden a number of times years ago. Like 20 years ago. This would prove to not be very productive. We start up a marked route which seemed like it could’ve been the one I was thinking of.
    Day7f - 4.jpg

We hit dead end after dead end.
    Day7f - 5.jpg

After a while all of our options were exhausted. None of these routes went through like I remember the route did years ago. We were obviously not able to find the correct route.
    Day7f - 6.jpg

It was late and definitely quitting time. We found a broad flat spot on the conglomerate rock to call home for the night. Weather was definitely threatening. Drey and I deployed our tarps by tying them to the bikes and securing the corners with rocks. Buuurrrt was not impressed. He didn’t bring a tarp.
    Day7f - 7.jpg

After Drey was satisfied that he could comfortably drink beer in his shelter, we started working on a fire.
    Day7f - 8.jpg

There were numerous “cells” moving through pouring impressive amounts of water down.
    Day7f - 9.jpg

These weren’t all that far away. We were miraculously capturing photos of the lightning by being quick with the camera shutter button. I think that’s what’s known as “lightning fast reflexes”!
    Day7f - 10.jpg
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    These cells were spotty and we were getting views of clear skies between them.
    CAC94FF1-C51E-4FB4-89FB-9BFB1BE44591.jpeg

We had a steady wind but not enough to shut our fire down. We continued to capture shots of the lightning and watched the downpour skirt our camp.
    7CBF10C3-3D87-4EB5-9E90-3C54517CB0D4.jpeg

We tied a pretty good one on as we stoked the fire and watched the thunder cells move by. I can’t remember what we were blah blah blahing about. Probably same shit as the night before. After a while, Buuurrrt decides it’s time to load the Adjustafork.
    FFED5B26-3A1D-4E20-AA4E-1A017FAB84D4.jpeg

The wind was providing a HOT fire with lots of coals. We had to use a rock on top of the lids so they didn’t blow off.
    50047211-BDC1-4796-8DBB-F38B35F6B7B2.jpeg

Drey and I load our Adjustaforks and start heating the sausages.
    6ED69DE1-3C53-4B28-9DEA-2FC1F680FF6D.jpeg

The good thing about these Kielbasa is they are pre-cooked and you can eat them cold if bad weather won’t allow a fire. My side dish this night consisted of a can of Spaghettios with mushrooms, onion and pepper added to it. Kind of a makeshift pasta. This could also be eaten cold if need be. We made it through dinner without rain and enjoyed a fairly standard ADV-F evening despite the threatening weather.
    46910F6B-7525-4DF7-A0BA-E86F85CA1D9A.jpeg

When the time came, I crawled under my tarp which provides a pretty decent shelter. We did end up having a light rain that night but nothing serious. I think Buuurrrt didn’t even realize it rained a bit. He either had enough Crow on board or he deployed a “lightweight shelter” (ambien). Probably both.
    64BF92A7-C9B5-4759-AE7F-60BB8E56234B.jpeg
    scudo, wilfred, BillUA and 20 others like this.
  13. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living the dream! You bastard!
    Ginger Beard, dano619 and everready like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Day 8: Real riding continues

Weather was improving but we were still dealing with a little wind this morning as noted by the rocks on the cup lids. The breeze produced some hot coals quickly.
    Day8a - 1.jpg

The morning ritual is crucial for me. Nothing better than sitting against the front tire of the bike and enjoying a cup of noodles and a cup of croffee. This is the time when we ponder which direction we’ll go and what we want to check out during the day. My noodle breakfast generally includes a pack of ramen, a can of spinach or green beans or peas, green chile, fresh onion and jalapeno, various spices. Croffee includes 2 spoonfuls of coffee and water brought to a boil on the fire then stirred and set aside for a few minutes to let the grounds settle to the bottom. Leave room for a splash of Old Crow. This is the best. Blurry Murray can take that sissy Starbucks stuff and shove it up his scooter cubby hole.
    Day8a - 2.jpg
    scudo, wilfred, BillUA and 21 others like this.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    The fire, the lightening, the shelter ‘light’....
    Looks like you boys have got it figured out.
    Phrase of the day : scooter cubby hole. :imaposer
    Ginger Beard and yakawars59 like this.
  16. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a killer capture @Joe Motocross, damn man - getting the fire and lightening in the background, so frickin' cool.

Enjoyed the update and pictures; even with the wind and storms rolling by, I'm envious of where you camped and where you're riding :thumb
    jays100 likes this.
  17. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    still enjoying the reports!!!

that ramen reminds me,,,, ya know whats surprisingly good? ramen and refried beans. just mix'em together and go for it.
  18. sages

sages Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's that subtle balance between diet and qty of toilet paper when packing that makes for a true minimalist adventurer
    azbrown, 2 SPOT, jays100 and 6 others like this.
  19. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Stunning photography and narrative as always Joe Moto, riding open country minimal,, I love this stuff.
    NOW,, about this side commentary from @ Renaldo Got-drama is pure drivel,, same as found in a tire store waiting room, with shitty coffee and bad TV talk show. Hell he could not even produce Al Capone's hidden loot after all the build up.
    OK,,, rant over,, Carry on with the excellent RR.
    shasta650 likes this.
  20. Geraldo Rivera

Geraldo Rivera n00b

Oddometer:
    It wasn’t my fault there was no loot in there. Could’ve gone the other way just as easy. I presented the story to get the highest ratings as I, err, I mean, as accurately as my research allowed.

As for @Joe Motocross, he hasn’t been updating because he’s currently working on another scam. This time, he’s figured out how to get paid to ride the White Rim on a mountain bike plus drink free beer. He’s going to start hitting you inmates up for tithings soon. Don’t buy into his scam. You should only pay real churches if you want to get into heaven.
    jonz likes this.