Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So perfect. You're onboard Hick. Here's a link for the et superius labrum radit translation. So freaking good.......
    yakawars59 likes this.
  2. azbrown

azbrown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another stellar chapter to Joe Motocross' Book of Revelicious. Than you Sir!
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Day 10: Joe goes solo

The plan was to have a fresh bunch of apostles join the Presiding High Council for the next stretch of riding but shit happens. Bad shit sometimes. My gal Hotstuff’s dad passed away suddenly. Her family needed her and she needed to leave the state. This kind of stuff really sucks but as many (all?) of you know, this is what gets thrown at us. Even more of a reason to value your time on the trail (or whatever else floats your boat) and to do it as much as you can while you still can. Don’t fuck around. Ride. You don’t know when your time is up.

Other members of the Presiding High Council scheduled for this stretch also had to bail. Wags and Delta Sierra had their own family obligations. I was bummed that the crew couldn’t come together however, I can manage fine on a solo mission. I embrace these just as much as having riding partners. So, I swapped to my beloved 950 Superenduro to mix things up even more. I felt terrible about the death of Hotstuff’s father and I would be doing a lot of reflecting about this during my solo journey. I really liked him and we had a good connection.
    Day10a - 1.jpg

My first stop was my buddies hunting camp high in the mountains. The dude sitting in the chair is one of my favorite lunatics to ride snowbikes with in the winter. He was born and bred in these hills and is not afraid of getting into some really intense shit. Freaking tough guy. His father and brother are in the photo. Good traditional family scene here. They were taking a mid morning break and we shot the shit for a bit before I moved on.
    Day10a - 2.jpg

I was in no hurry. I had nowhere to be. I took slower and funner routes to cross the mountains. It was odd. It was getting to be late September and there was really no color yet in the leaves even at elevation. Everything was green still.
    Day10a - 3.jpg

One thing I’ve been getting into is getting “selfie” action photos. I don’t know why but I really like trying to set these up and get a good shot. Maybe it’s because there’s some sort of unknown outcome with doing it. I set up the camera and hope for the best. This was a good one!
    Day10a - 4.jpg
    liv2day, mnTwin, yakawars59 and 23 others like this.
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks. Making lemonade out of the lemons one is dealt is a critical skill that some of the snowflakes lack. Rock on sir!
    yakawars59 and Joe Motocross like this.
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Great shot!
  6. zipweee

zipweee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how are you doing the selfies? Timer? Remote click? Motion activated?
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Geraldo Rivera is kneeling at the side of the trail (in a suit) taking the action shots.
    Foiler, chudzikb and dano619 like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha! Good guess RedDog. Combo of self timers and screen grabs from video.
    yakawars59 and zipweee like this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    My route continued along ATV trails. The riding was fairly easy but had sections that got a little exciting with steeper descents.
    Day10b - 1.jpg

These routes are fairly well maintained with some nice ATV width bridges.
    Day10b - 2.jpg

The trail spit out onto a wide graded road that would take me down the canyon and into the desert.
    Day10b - 3.jpg

At the bottom of the canyon is a large reservoir that the creek feeds into. Nice place to camp. Too bad it was only mid day. Definitely not time to make camp yet. Woulda been nice to swim. It was hot again.
    Day10b - 4.jpg

I came into town and did the usual. Meat, veggies, water, beer, snacks. No gas here. That would dictate my direction. I’d hop onto the highway for a short stretch. That’s the beauty about the big bike. The thing is comfortable on tight trails or buzzing 80mph for days. Love that bike. If I had to only own one bike, it’s hard to say if I’d keep the 500 or the 950.
    Day10b - 5.jpg
    Day10b - 6.jpg

Down the asphalt about 15 miles was a tiny gas station with a single pump. That’s all I needed! It's so nice that most of these little joints have 24hr pay at the pump. Not long ago, you had to time your stop to regular business hours. Filled up. 8.5 gallons of fuel on board. Now I was good to disappear for a bit.
    Day10b - 7.jpg
    mnTwin, yakawars59, bomose and 11 others like this.
  10. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Another Moment of Perfection.

Kudos for good form with big air on the 950!:thumb
  11. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    How’s that ADV-F front tire handle on Big Bertha at triple digits? And I assume it’s 21”?
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    That's an 18" rim with a Pirelli MT43 trials tire. It's great, I'm gonna buy a couple more.
    Zubb likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Because of the direction I had to go to get fuel, I was in a trajectory toward the Big Reservoir. There were some areas down there that I wanted to scout so that was now the direction I’d head for. Nothing is set. If I come across something else along the way that pulls me in a different direction then, that’s the way I’ll go. For now, I was headed south figuring I’d make it down there sometime late the next day. In the meantime, I had another short stretch of asphalt down a canyon that would get me into more remote desert. While I’m basically a dirt guy, I do have to admit that I enjoyed this short stretch of twisties. This is despite that the Motosteel Teraflex rear tire should really never be ridden on pavement. Scary. It’s ludicrous that it even has a DOT rating. You’re not going to get too leaned over with that thing.
    Day10c - 1.jpg

What do you know?!?! Pavement can be fun!!
    Day10c - 2.jpg

Oh yeah!!! Back to my natural environment.
    Day10c - 3.jpg

It’s not uncommon to come across wild horses out here. I swear this white one is the same horse that I’ve been meeting up with in random spots around this zone over the past few years. There was something a little mystical about this encounter. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it so I just said “until next time buddy, I’ll be seeing you again”.
    Day10c - 4.jpg
    liv2day, Shaggie, mnTwin and 19 others like this.
  14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    All this riding around in the desert is all well and good but it's nothing like the joy of manicuring a beautiful lawn to make it look like the infield at Fenway Park, putting a fresh coat of paint on the picket fence, or getting some good work done in the cubicle. I'll guess that if Joe has a lawn at all it looks like shit because he thinks that playing around on motorcycles is more important.
    azbrown, 605Zee, dano619 and 10 others like this.
  15. Geraldo Rivera

Geraldo Rivera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Profit Motocross lives in a 1000 square foot run down house. His “lawn” consists of, and you guessed it, weeds that turn brown once summer hits because he foolishly thinks watering lawns is a waste of water. Painting fences is laughable and no firm would stoop so low to let him grace their desirable cubicle floors.
    azbrown and yakawars59 like this.
  16. Geraldo Rivera

Geraldo Rivera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can see how powerful of an influencer Profit Motocross is though. He has @RedDogAlberta duped into writing scripture trying to downplay my investigative journalism. Silver-tongued indeed. You should only be so lucky to realize through my reporting what a sham this ADV-Fundamentalism is.

And that bit about having some sort of connection to a random horse? Come on folks….

One thing that I have noticed is how powerful the landscape is that Profit Motocross travels through. Oddly enough I can almost see and understand how he considers these spires and towers his temples.
    towers.jpg
  17. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given this is Utah, I can almost hear the tubercular choir singing from those rocks.
    yakawars59 and TheAdmiral like this.
  18. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    950SE and not in a hurry. :hmmmmm I was never in a hurry on my 950SE but I always arrived sooner than expected. Damn, I miss that bike
  19. Pa.Hangard

Pa.Hangard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for these RR I've been out west a few times but we stayed on established marked trails and roads.
    I tell people my yard looks like I ride motorcycles :-)
  20. svo_jon

svo_jon n00b

Oddometer:
    If Joe has grass its tall and bushy with a sharp smell...!!!!:imaposer