Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotta love that 24hr Pay at the pump. Definitely makes wandering a bit easier since adventure never seems to work out on schedule with small town business hours. The rider can run on just about anything for fuel but the bike needs gasoline.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  2. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just hit that pump in October. Lucky it's there, not many options in that area.
  3. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Wow, I’m crushed that I’ll never get one of those high paying cubicle positions. How can a person go on? Simplify and spend less? Nah, that would never work…..

My girl Hotstuff and I tend to like our little house. It’s certainly not the most modern but it’s got character and it was cheap. Plus it’s nestled in a great location to ride from. Not too many jackasses around makes it nice also.
    Day10d - 1.jpg
    Day10d - 2.jpg
    Day10d - 3.jpg

And Geraldo is starting to see things a little more clearly by noticing that the terrain is so intense that it makes you get religion!!
    Day10e - 1.jpg
    Day10e - 2.jpg

I’m about out of my mind at this point. The surrounding terrain features, being deep into the desert, perfect weather and the 950 were all definitely doing things to my brain.
    Day10e - 3.jpg

Shadows were getting longer. That’s a hint to start thinking about a camp soon.
    Day10e - 4.jpg

I still had some riding to do until I got into a zone where there was some dead wood for a fire.
    Day10e - 5.jpg
  4. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Joe. I was jealous of where you live. So close to some great riding. Now I am jealous of where you live. Beautiful house with a large front and a huge rear yard!

Love reading your reports. Keep those wheels rolin'...
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool drone pic of the house and town! One of the pervasive issues with trying to figure out where I might one day move is the inability to find out how "regular people" live outside of a larger town/city. I've never had the slightest interest in living close to the mall [or whatever], but the web based real estate market leads me to believe that living in Utah requires two million dollars and is 99% within 100 miles of SLC or Provo. Arizona, NM, Nevada - same. All seem to be structured around Californians cashing out and moving East to ruin someplace new. Not that I'm biased or anything....:D
    Foiler, Bt10 and Bhart89 like this.
  6. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not too many jackasses around makes it nice also.

Now that, right there, is priceless! All should strive for that situation, and above all not be a jackass to others!
    Ginger Beard and karter18 like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Big terrain. It was heavy out here.
    Day10f - 1.jpg

Yeah, real heavy. Had I ingested some substance that was playing tricks on my mind or was it just the land? Both? This was about overload.
    Day10f - 2.jpg

I found a piece of rock to hang out on and try to regroup for the night. Beer and a few sips of whiskey would hopefully bring me around. I was in an intense state of mind. This is what it’s all about!!
    Day10f - 3.jpg

I got my wits back and started focusing on things at hand. Get a cup of rice and beans together before it’s dark.
    Day10f - 4.jpg

The alcohol was working. My head felt good while sitting against my front wheel overlooking the insanity that was laid out in front of me. The sun was down and I was soaking in all the riding I’d done.
    Day10f - 5.jpg

Warm weather and sandstone is a minimalists wet dream. Nothing better than kicking back barefoot all night with a good fire.
    Day10f - 6.jpg

Being careful as to not drink all my whiskey, I figured I better get some food on the Adjustafork. It was seasoned chicken thighs tonight.
    Day10f - 7.jpg

How much more simple can your mess kit get than a metal cup and an Adjustafork? This is how you keep your bike light for MAXIMUM ROOSTING!!!!
    Day10f - 8.jpg

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for ADV-F righteousness, for they will be filled with Adjustafork nourishment.
    Day10f - 9.jpg
  8. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lovin this!! Thanks!!
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Nice house; great lot. I like the garden. That front yard tree is the bomb.

Ok, to nitpick you need a much larger garage. :D
  10. andso77

andso77 n00b

Oddometer:
    How do you have your mirror set up on your 950? As always awesome report!
  11. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    You mean you slept out in the desert, at night, by yourself?

That's what people would ask me when I used to backpack out west. They thought I was crazy. I think they're missing out.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just realized Joe's commando under the jump suit. :rofl
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Well, we have an old 3 sided stable that's been converted to a shop. It's out of view. I think it's got more square footage than the house!
    Ginger Beard and yakawars59 like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Scary.
    yakawars59 likes this.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    That's how I roll especially in hot weather.
    Deadguyale and yakawars59 like this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    That's a stock mirror with a custom attachment to the hand guard. It pivots out of the way. Not sure why I didn't have it tucked away at this point.
    yakawars59 likes this.
  17. andso77

andso77 n00b

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool. I have been looking for a way to free up space on my handlebars and never thought about attaching it to my hand guard.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Day 11: Hot. Must go swimming.

There is a fairly regular routine in the mornings. First thing after crawling out of the bag is to build a fire. While the fire is burning down, I get the croffee and food cups ready to go.
    Day11a - 1.jpg

Those go onto the hot coals.
    Day11a - 2.jpg

While breakfast is heating I work on packing up the sleeping bag and pad as well as the bivy and tarp if they were needed. No need for shelter right now. It was warm, dry and calm.
    Day11a - 3.jpg

These all get “Voile strapped” together then wrapped up with the ground cloth.
    Day11a - 4.jpg

The Adjustafork goes on the rear fender first.
    Day11a - 5.jpg

Then the bedding/shelter gets strapped on. After that, a hot breakfast is ready to enjoy.
    Day11a - 6.jpg

I took off like a bat out of hell a little “overly amped up”. I hit the first corner a little heavy on the throttle and instead of a nice controlled slide through it, the bike gets away and comes out from underneath me! I dust myself off, pick up the bike and get back on the throttle like nothing ever happened.
    Day11a - 7.jpg

Holy shit!! Looks like I’m the first one into this wash since the last rain!! This is going to be sick!!
    Day11a - 8.jpg

I proceed to start sliding the back end through the corners.
    Day11a - 9.jpg

The wash is virgin and in perfect condition! Ultimate control for drifting through the corners. I'm not gonna lie. This was good riding!!
    Day11a - 10.jpg
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I like this wash because it’s got a “quad block” (impassable to quads) which keeps the traffic down to only motorcycles. It chokes up pretty tight down a little farther also. Too tight to get a quad through.
    Day11b - 1.jpg

The day was starting out pretty intense. This wash runs for about 5 miles with no escape except running it all the way through.
    Day11b - 2.jpg

I was feeling a little mini-meltdown coming on. This is where you can have visions.
    And he said, “Hear my words: If there is a profit among you, I the ROOST LORD make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a wheelie dream.
    Day11b - 3.jpg

I got to the choke. There’s a little seep here. It’s always wet and a bit soft. It gets softer the more bikes go through. I figured I’d squeak through without issue.
    Day11b - 4.jpg

Holy shit! The freaking back wheel sank. This is how it starts with quicksand. I’m lucky the front wheel wasn’t the one to sink. You gotta think it through because you generally only have about one chance to get out. Otherwise, the more you f*ck with it, the deeper it goes. Quicksand is real. We’ve sank bikes to the handlebars. The only way out is a come-along. Been there a few times. I had a different vision at this point. It involved hiking out to get a come-along. I studied the scene. Started the bike, stood beside it so I could push, revved the throttle and dumped the clutch. She lurched forward freeing herself. If this isn’t an obvious sign that the ROOST LORD was looking out for me I don’t know what is!!
    Day11b - 5.jpg

I continued down the giant corridor. The day was playing out just how I’d hoped it would. The thing is, you really deal your own destiny and ultimately you are the one who makes it happen. Having some faith in the ROOST LORD certainly doesn’t hurt.
    Day11b - 6.jpg

The corridor opens up and I do a little “victory launch” for fun.
    Day11b - 7.jpg
    td63, yakawars59, liv2day and 29 others like this.
  20. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    My question is has the Roost Lord proclaimed thall shall provide those seeking the righteous path to ADV-F a Black Friday deal on an adjusta-fork?