Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    No. The problem isn't cooking a burger with an Adjustafork. It's with drunk cooks.
    Bhart89, scudo, Ginger Beard and 2 others like this.
  2. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was just common sense in play right there! Cooking always declines with the level of alcohol, sadly.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Snakes. Lots of scary snakes. And scorpions. We actually see all sorts of wildlife. Rabbits, Utah prairie dogs, coyotes, fox, pronghorns (antelope), deer, elk, big horn sheep, cougar (kinda rare to actually see one), black bear (also don't actually see them often).
    yakawars59 likes this.
  4. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    and beavers!
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It makes it easy. It's almost guaranteed that we land in a comfortable spot at night.
    yakawars59 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Next, it’s up a route we often use. It’s one of only a handful that cut through this large reef.
    Day16c - 1.jpg

While we use it often it’s still stunning every time.
    Day16c - 2.jpg

It’s just plain, good riding.
    Day16c - 3.jpg

After cutting through the reef, the routes spiderweb into all sorts of canyons.
    Day16c - 4.jpg

The routes are easy with lots of 3rd and 4th gear action.
    Day16c - 5.jpg

We were making good time and it appeared The Jack Muslim would make it back to his truck and make it to work the next day.
    Day16c - 6.jpg

Gotta love riding through the mazes these big sandstone walls make!
    Day16c - 7.jpg

We still had a few more miles of riding through this canyon.
    Day16c - 8.jpg

We make it into a town. This is where we’d split up. Mo’s truck was in the next town to the north. I was headed into the mountains to go meet another crew. We slapped a high five and went our separate directions.
    Day16c - 9.jpg

It was late in the day and I had a destination planned. I hate having a set destination!! I would have to utilize fast graded roads to make it before dark. The cold weather snap really put a quick end to the fall color in the leaves.
    Day16c - 10.jpg
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somewhere around post 554 and 557 you switched off the big bike and back on the small bike and I just realized this. :fpalm
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty about the Superenduro. It really acts more like a dirt bike than a large 950cc "adventure bike". You might not even notice what it actually is by just glancing at it.
    Yinzer Moto, CrazyCooter and Cabrito like this.
  9. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    JM on a serious note, maybe I missed it in previous posts or your other threads, despite that you know the remote areas well where you ride, considering you often ride them solo and have no cell coverage do you carry any sort of SPOT or inReach device in case of an emergency?
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I haven't been and it's kind of stupid. I use one for work when doing winter mountain travel solo. I think I'll just throw it in my pack in the future. Many of us ADV-F enjoy solo outings. A few of us use a "check out, check in" text to alert someone of where we're headed. We also adjust our risk tolerance and choose appropriate routes when solo. However, I'd be pissed if I needed a hand and the damn SPOT was sitting at my house!!
    Jeff Sichoe, Bullseye, Foiler and 4 others like this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    While my route was kinda boring just going fast on smooth roads, it did provide some superb scenery.
    Day16d - 1.jpg

I topped out at just over 10,000’. Temperatures were seasonable which are cool at this elevation.
    Day16d - 2.jpg

After another hour or so of dropping down a canyon, I made it to Moto HQ where I’d spend the next two nights.
    Day16d - 3.jpg

It was good to see this crew!! I only see them once a year or so because they live out of state.
    Day16d - 4.jpg

Epic sunset.
    Day16d - 5.jpg

Good whiskey and epic sunset!!
    Day16d - 6.jpg

This was kind of an odd scene. It was if The Frenchman was making Santa and Frosty walk the plank.
    Day16d - 7.jpg

Just a little creepy.
    Day16d - 8.jpg
    crashkorolyk, mnTwin, td63 and 16 others like this.
  12. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bulleit Bourbon was my go to, then Bulleit Rye, Knob Creek Rye, and now High West, just about any variety. No, not an alchy, just enjoy the good stuff! Utah, it turns out, has amazing riding and amazing whisky too. Old Crow will do in a pinch though...… Keep it coming!
    Jeff Sichoe and Joe Motocross like this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Got a really funny story about my girl, High West and Old Crow. I'll see if it'll fit in here at some point.
    Blaise W likes this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Day 17: Reset and more riding.

I utilized a different style of heat for my morning grub.
    Day17a - 1.jpg

This place was “state of the art” in the 70s with a built in tape deck piped through the house.
    Day17a - 2.jpg

The crew had a “dump run” to make so we decided to split up and meet after lunch for a PM mountain ride. I headed into the local terrain for a little fun and then headed for town to get some supplies.
    Day17a - 3.jpg

My minimalist shoes were on their last stretch. I was hoping to score some new ones at the dollar store but it was the wrong time of the season for water shoes.
    Day17a - 4.jpg

After grabbing some food, I did another little fun route back to Moto HQ. I had no gear on my bike and was thoroughly enjoying the freedom.
    Day17a - 5.jpg

Hard to pass up a few hillclimbs when they’re right in front of you.
    Day17a - 6.jpg

This zone has some intense stuff.
    And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the ADV-Fs of the Roost God ascending and descending on it.
    Day17a - 7.jpg

Plenty of little hits to have some fun with and see if I could get any cool photos.
    Day17a - 8.jpg

I continued working through this little zone of madness.
    Day17a - 9.jpg
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nailed it on the pics!
    Joe Motocross and cprbusa like this.
  16. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very, very disappointing if the next series of pics don't have you wearing fuzzy slippers next to a campfire.
  17. mbogage

mbogage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just put my order for 10 voile straps in. Adv-f believer!
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of updates @Joe Motocross. Damn man, the riding pics through the canyons and sandstone walls...wow. And great job capturing the action shots too, effin' envious.

The shot of the snowman and santa marching into the fire :lol3 :lol3 :lol3. I'd show my boys, but don't think the long term damage is worth the laugh I'd have :rofl

Completely agree with NoelJ on the slippers, you should rock some of 'em just for the hell of it. And just think about how great they'd look strapped to the 500.

Killer capture of the bottle of Bulleit with the sunset in the background; something cool about seeing the sky through the glass of a whisky bottle.

Good on you for using your gear to cook at the motocamp, though I'm slightly disappointed that you didn't stoke the coals from the previous night's fire :D

I really need to get out for a ride, thanks for helping keep the sanity relatively close :thumb
    Lanis, Joe Motocross and Ginger Beard like this.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile at the dump. The crew unloaded their trailer and did a little “picking”. Can you spot their target?
    Day17b - 1.jpg

Here was one little score. Can’t ever have too many toolboxes.
    Day17b - 2.jpg

Here was their real prize. Nice Brembo caliper and an intact rear 18” wheel with a decent tire. What a great day!!
    Day17b - 3.jpg

Sir Crash-A-Lot is the owner of Moto HQ. He’s originally from Utah and knows this terrain well so he took us on a little tour.
    Day17b - 4.jpg

The Frenchman is a work related buddy of Sir Crash-A-Lot. A number of years ago, The Frenchman thought dirt biking looked fun so he bought one and started joining the crew for their annual or bi-annual rides. Gotta love a guy who just decides to start off road riding out of nowhere. This often doesn’t work out for many guys but The Frenchman seems to have pulled it off.
    Day17b - 5.jpg

The Gravedigger is a motorcycle addicted lunatic from the northwest. He’s made desert pilgrimages for years. He has a hard time keeping the front tire on the ground.
    Day17b - 6.jpg

We continued following Sir Crash-A-Lot around the high elevation trails.
    Day17b - 7.jpg

There were a couple of sections where things got a little loose. Feet flying and bikes going down!!
    Day17b - 8.jpg
    crashkorolyk, Andreja, Dr.Z and 22 others like this.
  20. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frickin' sweet!!