1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    JM, who makes that rear tire in the caliper/tire picture. I like unusual patterns.

Ken
  2. Scharcon

Scharcon Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Emgo likes this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    I’m having a little trouble keeping up with finishing this ride report. I had no intentions of still rambling on about this in January. So let’s see if I can “get er done”.

Sir Crash-A-Lot kept the lead for the afternoon tour bringing us through some great terrain.
    Day17c - 1.jpg

The Gravedigger kept showing off his 18” front rim.
    Day17c - 2.jpg

The route had enough challenging sections to keep the action level high.
    Day17c - 3.jpg

Break time.
    Day17c - 5.jpg

This cabin can be rented from the local municipality. Good to know where some of these shelters are just in case weather really sneaks up on you.
    Day17c - 4.jpg

Our route continued on mainly mountain ATV trails.
    Day17c - 6.jpg

Sir Crash-A-Lot looped us back around and we dropped back into Moto HQ.
    Day17c - 7.jpg
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    This was a bit different style of camp compared to what I’d been using but I kinda enjoyed the change. Just roll with what's presented to you.
    Day17d - 1.jpg
    Day17d - 2.jpg

Then things deteriorated quickly.
    Day17d - 3.jpg

The Grave Digger tried to put himself in the grave. It’s usually smart to start up motorcycles after consuming alcohol.
    Day17d - 4.jpg

We can dissect what happened here through the rubber marks. First he locked up the back brake sliding into the first corner.
    Day17d - 5.jpg

1st gear, 2nd gear through the next corner.
    Day17d - 6.jpg

3rd gear, 4th gear through the strait away then the wreck.
    Day17d - 7.jpg

Things continued to get uglier.
    Day17d - 8.jpg
    Day17d - 9.jpg

Out there. Way out there.
    Day17d - 10.jpg
    crashkorolyk, Andreja, td63 and 21 others like this.
  5. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was in the area and happened across the stand, no melons this time of year.
    IMG_4267.JPG
  6. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    JM can you tell us what front/rear tire set up the other members of the ADV-F crew are using? In particular those who still use a 21" front. UT riding is all new to me and the Husky TE510 will need new shoes when I get out there this spring, looking at the Goldentyre "fatty" for the front and not sure yet on the rear.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they wrap up about the end of October.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I've heard about that "fatty". I think it would be good. I don't pay any attention to 21" tires any more really. If I was going to run something else than the Terra-Flex in the rear it would be the Shinko "Holeshot cheater" just because I like the name. Kidding! I do like the name but Presiding High Council member Drey Dog has had really good luck with it. I actually think it's called the "Hybrid cheater" now. I liked "Holeshot cheater" better. Too funny. Either way, I think it's the 505 model.
    Ginger Beard, DCrider and Foiler like this.
  9. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be doing my due diligence as a smartass @Joe Motocross if I didn't give you shit about the chair. Although its pretty minimalist to use somebody else's chair in there garage compound.
    DCrider likes this.
  10. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So, Grave Digger + alcohol = ATGATT - All The GEARS All The Time?:lol3
    Lanis, husky350 and Joe Motocross like this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Good to keep an eye on that shit. It's not that ADV-Fs are "chair haters". I think everyone on the Presiding High Council enjoys a good chair under the proper circumstances. This definitely does NOT include overnight remote dirt bike riding. Using a chair provided by someone else? You bet!! As long as we're not carrying it.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    DAY 18: Profit Motocross goes solo again.

The current crew I was with had a different agenda than me so it was time for me to move on. I had plans to meet my girl Hotstuff somewhere this evening. Plans were loose, as usual. So I started drifting wherever the good riding was.
    Day18a - 1.jpg

I kept practicing my photography. What a great start to the morning!!
    ADV-F scripture: I said, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.
    Day18a - 2.jpg

I decided I would go check out some canyons that I’ve been meaning to because this is what ADV-Fs do. First it would be up a fun route that I’ve done in the past starting with this creek crossing which was quite easy this time. No so easy all the time.
    Day18a - 3.jpg

This route is a narrow atv route up through the scrub oak. I spooked a few cattle who raised a cloud of dust in front of me.
    Day18a - 4.jpg

Soon I was onto the section of trail I wanted to investigate. Super nice ridge route with views toward the mountain where Sir Crash-A-Lot toured us around the day before.
    Day18a - 5.jpg

I was in my element again. Seeking out good riding, having fun taking photos, no real planned destination, etc.
    Day18a - 6.jpg

Soon I came to another canyon that I was interested in and started dropping. Something didn’t feel right. The route was less used than I anticipated. I felt like a dead end was ahead.
    Day18a - 7.jpg

After descending for a while, the route opened up more and things finally clicked and I realized what was ahead of me. I was fearing I would have to double back and climb out but for other reasons than a dead end.
    Day18a - 8.jpg

There was this final drop to the bottom. Hard to tell from this photo but it would be a challenging climb back up this if I had to do it. Steep and VERY loose. I was so close to getting out of the canyon that I had to drop it and find out if I could exit.
    Day18a - 9.jpg

This is where I came out. Just as I had figured. Super sketchy bridge and a locked gate. I’ve passed by here before but it didn’t register to me up top that this was where the canyon came out. I was able to weasel by both obstacles. I’m not sure how I missed the private property boundary up high but I obviously did. Oh well, note to self, this canyon is not ideal for future routes.
    Day18a - 10.jpg
  13. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see you've embraced the 'profit' side @Joe Motocross :lol3 :lol3

Great job on the action shots and again, killer scenery man. Doesn't look like the track continues beyond that gate, were you able to bush wack your way through? Reminds me of a similar predicament I found myself and my buds in a couple years back after we'd received permission to ride a section of private property in the hopes of continuing our journey. Everything was going along swimmingly (lol) until we found ourselves locked in with no way around. It took some creativity, but we were able to keep going. Took a shot from the other side.

damn gates.jpg
  14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how it would work with the overalls but there's good reasons to carry your SPOT on your person instead of on the bike. I'd be pissed if I needed a hand and the damn SPOT was on my bike two ledges down in the canyon instead of in my pocket.
    Ginger Beard and dano619 like this.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah Liv, you know the drill. I was able to sneak over the bridge and around. I snapped that shot after I got out.

Yep, by pack I mean backpack. Just like avalanche safety, you want your rescue gear on your person.
    liv2day, Ginger Beard and Sparrowhawk like this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I continued drifting through the mountains checking out different drainages that I haven’t been through. It was easy riding for the most part.
    Day18b - 1.jpg

No shortage of fun hits to boost off.
    Day18b - 2.jpg

As I’ve stated before, true ADV-Fs accept that they are going to run into dead ends, locked gates, impassable routes and have to double back. Perhaps numerous times a day. These unknowns feed the ADV-F which differs greatly from plugging in a known GPS track to your garmin and just following it. The true ADV-F seeks out his own routes and this is where the magic is often found. No magic found here though. I had to turn around.
    Day18b - 3.jpg

After a number of locked gates, I got back to a route where I was covering ground again. I had food along but it would be better with a little heat. No problem. I built a quick fire by the creek so I could easily douse it out after lunch.
    Day18b - 4.jpg

Mid day Adjustafork lunch!!
    Day18b - 5.jpg

I got the kielbasa on the fork and threw the tamales on the coals.
    Day18b - 6.jpg

I’m a big fan of using tortillas for wrapping sausages, brats, hot dogs, etc. I loaded these up with some cheese and condiments.
    Day18b - 7.jpg

Money.
    Day18b - 8.jpg

I doused the fire and wheelied over the creek.
    Day18b - 9.jpg

I was all pumped up after lunch and was getting LOOSE around any corner that I could!
    Day18b - 10.jpg
    Lanis, BillUA, crashkorolyk and 28 others like this.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I use tortilla shells at home even for sandwiches now. I haven't bought bread in over a year. :thumb
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Then I’d straighten up and cruise mellow. Nothing to see here, go about your business.
    Day18c - 1.jpg

I’d covered some good ground by this time. To the west I could still see the mountain that I was riding around with the boys the day before.
    Day18c - 2.jpg

To the east was the desert where Hotstuff and I would spend the next few days.
    Day18c - 3.jpg

Things were about to get intense again!!
    Day18c - 4.jpg

The buttes were calling us. I could see mountains over 150 miles away from me.
    Day18c - 5.jpg

I continued my descent out of the mountains down into the desert. Just good clean riding.
    Day18c - 6.jpg

I arrived at a location where Hotstuff and I agreed to meet. She was going to drive my truck over with her bike and we’d drift off into the desert for a few more days. I roughed it until she showed up with the chairs.
    Day18c - 7.jpg

Meanwhile, I’d been in touch with Buuurrrt who was out on his Superenduro with another buddy on a Superenduro. Buuurrrt was planning on meeting up at my location but his buddy was overloaded and was having a “melt down”. Two things here:
    1. Shit is not as easy with an overloaded bike
    2. This is why EVERY river crossing is necessary. Practice.
    Day18c - 8.jpg

Buuurrrt never made it. He was doing damage control for the sake of keeping his ride together. Meanwhile, Hotstuff showed up with some Adjustafork supplies and we feasted.
    Day18c - 9.jpg

We were set for the last leg of the journey.
    Day18c - 10.jpg
    BillUA, crashkorolyk, mnTwin and 28 others like this.
  19. mamacone

mamacone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    That last post touched on why I now ride carrying so little and why I'm still finding ways to pair down. I don't want to ever be in a position where I have to avoid a sweet section of trail goodness all because I packed for campsite comfort rather than for actually riding my bike.

:ricky
    Lanis, Kyron, Rickcaccia and 2 others like this.