Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Agree camp Seats are for sissy’s, get a bike without one too . :lol2.
  2. Geraldo Rivera

Geraldo Rivera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It appears that Profit Motocross has acquired another ADV-F member. This is exactly why he and the Presiding High Council travel like they do. I have here a rough draft of the "Minimalist Manifesto". It's a poorly organized document but it does get to the point.

Minimalist Manifesto:

Maximum roosting is the highest consideration. This dictates all else.

The ADV-F Minimalist maximizes his stamina/comfort with the least amount of gear possible.

The amount of gear must never impede the performance of the chosen motorcycle.

Chairs are strictly forbidden and are considered a sign of weakness.

Hotels are not to be used unless:
    1. a complete “melt-down” is experienced by a rider who needs to regroup in order for the ride to proceed
    2. really really really bad weather which can lead to item 1.

When faced with a choice whether to attempt an unknown route or to take the known route, the ADV-F will choose the unknown even if it leads to hours of fiddle-fucking around ultimately causing a “melt-down” of a Presiding High Council member. Exploration is paramount to the ADV-F movement regardless of the cost.

Fellow ADV-Fundamentalists shall not coddle one another.

When (not if) a brother ADV-V goes down from alcohol or any ingested or administered substance prior to air mattress inflation, comrades must inflate said pad for sleeping idiot. This is not necessarily done solely for the comfort of the substance abuser, i.e. coddling. It is done for the mission to continue with less delay.

The ADV-F Minimalist always attempts to not break more than one law at a time.
  3. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So it is written...
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

And so it came to pass that in the days hence forth, the Geraldo Decree was marked in the everlasting spans known as "The Net" (both ether and inter), and that any and all whom shall reside within the ADVF flock shall forgo comfort any convenience in the holy name of roost and the brotherhood of dirt. All hail the the knobby hurled earth as where it may land is now consecrated and yay, may it's flinging forever be exalted above the weakness driven desire for sitting thine tush upon any camp chair not provided by nature's own waiting room.
  5. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just make sure that you spring for the Acerbis 5l Paris-Dakar trials tank, you really can't travel far without a bigger tank.
    MATTY likes this.
  6. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Waiting for a trials bike to cool down uses no petrol, 30mph is not going to cut it in ADV F world, you could probably make faster progress on a moped :lol2 and it would have more fuel range. :lol2
    Carry on ye ! Minimalist types. Twas just a giggle video.
  7. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I got that, I was just poking fun at trials tanks and their small size.
    MATTY likes this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Holy shit, I love this. Funny because I know a few dudes who are doing "dual sport" rides on trials bikes. Why not take it to the next level and start camping? Makes sense. I think we could do some stupid routes.
    Ginger Beard, Foiler and MATTY like this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard, you've just been assigned "Ward Bishop Ginger Beard" of the ADV-Fundamentalists.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    DAY 19: ADV-F sister-wife joins the journey

This is how it works when we’re doing day rides from my truck. Hotstuff kicks me out of bed and bosses me around until she’s got a mug of croffee in her hands.
    Day19a - 1.jpg

I did some bike maintenance and we booted up. We had three more days of riding and camping. We would make them count. Hotstuff needed this.
    Day19a - 2.jpg

As true ADV-Fundamentalists, we just let the route unfold naturally. We followed some two tracks that lead us down this old dugway.
    Day19a1 - 1.jpg

Not much left of this road except where the cattle still walk on it.
    Day19a - 3.jpg

Hotstuff did a little practice getting her bike airborne. The old 520 is still doing the job but we gotta upgrade her soon.
    Day19a - 4.jpg

I did the same.
    Day19a - 5.jpg

We lost the route for a second. We couldn’t figure out where it dropped off these ledges.
    Day19a - 6.jpg

Ah, there it is. Back on track.
    Day19a - 7.jpg

The pace picked up and we were into some stunning territory. Perfect. This is what we seek.
    Day19a - 8.jpg
    BillUA, crashkorolyk, mnTwin and 23 others like this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    And here my teachers said I'd never amount to nothin' ! Take that Mrs O'Malley !
    bike, Lanis, windplay and 6 others like this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We continued traveling through the desert. We had enough gas, food and water for the day but we’d need to roll through a town to obtain supplies for the evening and the next morning. No problem, there were options depending on which way we drifted.
    Day19b - 1.jpg

We just kept drifting. We figured a direction to a town would present itself at some point.
    Day19b - 2.jpg

Lunchtime. We sat down on the rock and enjoyed some food and reveled at where we were. Check out how little gear Hotstuff has on her bike. With two of us, we can go even more minimal since we can share a sleeping bag and any shelter needed. I carry the sleeping bag. She carries the sleeping pads & tarp.
    Day19b - 3.jpg

Incredible. Finding stuff like this is why we choose smaller bikes and packing light. Full ADV-F. Nothing holding you back.
    Day19b - 4.jpg

Quicksand. I sent Hotstuff first. She knows to “gas it” and keep moving. The more bikes that come through, the looser this stuff gets. You wouldn't want to be the 6th bike through here. It’s just one of those spots.
    ADV-F Scripture: Deliver me from the mire and do not let me sink; May I be delivered from my foes and from the deep quicksand to roost another day.
    Day19b - 5.jpg

The wash opened up and Hotstuff and I were thoroughly enjoying the ride.
    Day19b - 6.jpg

I started chasing her down a big wide smooth section.
    Day19b - 7.jpg

This is where shit went wrong for me.
    Day19b - 8.jpg

In the euphoria of the high speed wash, the perfect conditions, the incredible weather, being on a journey with my girl, I let my guard down and clobbered a rock which instantaneously flattened my rear tire. 5th gear perhaps. I saw it coming at the last second, got the front wheel over it but I hit it SOOOOO hard with the rear tire there was no hope. Completely flat within a rotation or two of the wheel. While I did the repair, Hotstuff walked back to do the investigation and pieced it together.
    Day19b - 10.jpg

This one was one of the worst Class 5 flats I’ve ever experienced. The rimlock played a role here. It was so bad I wasn’t quite sure how to classify it. It's definitely one for the “Coffee table book of flats”. Best I came up with was “Class 5, rimlock pinch”. Keep in mind that Class 5s are beyond repairable. The only option is a fresh tube.
    Day19b - 9.jpg
    Lanis, BillUA, crashkorolyk and 15 others like this.
  13. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the rock not know you were a prophet? Has the rock no sense of decency? Damn...
  14. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 3rd gear version of that with my DRZ a few years ago. Flat, plus a good bend in the rim. Front lifted, didn’t un-weight the rear quickly enough. Luckily, I found a cheap replacement, which is why my DRZ now has a gold rear rim laced up to the stock hub and spokes.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  15. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    Were you running 6 psi here? I like letting my pressure way down, but that is the type of thing I always seem to get.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, perhaps less than 6psi. I hadn't checked it for a while. Super hard hit. I knew it when I hit it. No rim damage though. Probably would've flatted regardless of tire pressure. It was a sharp hit.
  17. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahaha! When the video started I thought you had the ticking of a clock going on there like some old Floyd... then there you are pumping! F__k I laughed hard! Good going and cheers! Awesome stuff!
    td63 likes this.
  18. Memnok

Memnok Fly high, go far.

Oddometer:
    Changing tires in the desert is always penance for some bad deed. Obviously in this photo I was grossly overloaded.

Attached Files:

19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    HD or Super HD tube?
  20. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    … and thus learneth the prophet humility, for the Lord had provided such an abundance that day, beseeching the prophet to apply the Holy Throttle with grace and restraint so that his eyes and heart be full with the creation. But the prophet did not see, and was smoten.
    Book of Throttles, 17:2
    Lanis, Tha Rick, td63 and 8 others like this.