Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to catch up on this again, been a long week and it's great to sit down and see the pics and read the story about getting to the last segment. Sweet action shots @Joe Motocross, especially like the rear wheel drift coming around the corner. So cool that your girl comes out and joins you for the rip, the last shot of pulling grub from the adjusta is perfect.

Looking forward to seeing where you hooligans went next :ricky :thumb
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha! You may have ingested too many hallucinogens in your time.......
    Bora and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Just the same as any ADV on a GS right?
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Perfect. We clearly have a lot more work to do on the scriptures.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Truly. Hard to find women like that.
    liv2day likes this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I believe they are referred to as Super Heavy Duty. They are 4mm thick. I run the thinnest, smallest for the spare.
    Ginger Beard and DCrider like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I finished up the flat situation by using our emergency tube. We only carry one 18” between the two of us. This now presents an issue. Do we “chance it” for 2 ½ more days with no spare or do we try to go buy a spare somewhere? “Chancing it” would have to do if there were no other options but I had an idea.
    Day19c - 1.jpg

Not far from the bottom of the wash lives our friend Forest. He owns and runs the Sleepy Hollow campground. I hadn’t seen him for a while so it was a good excuse to go say hello.
    Day19c - 2.jpg

He has what he refers to as “the store” at the campground. In “the store” he has some miscellaneous motorcycle parts including a number of tubes. Good work Forest!!
    Day19c - 3.jpg

I bought the tube and he threw a bag of Stanley plums from his orchard. Total bonus.
    Day19c - 4.jpg

We bullshitted a bit and then Hotstuff and I departed.
    Day19c - 5.jpg

Day19c - 6.jpg
    BillUA, crashkorolyk, mnTwin and 25 others like this.
  8. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's really cool that you take your daughter on these rides! :thumb
    RD
    Sharkdog, ChicoProf, td63 and 7 others like this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Common mistake. He's ugly, not old.
    td63, HarveyMushman, Foiler and 4 others like this.
  10. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably related to the use of chairs when available...
    Joe Motocross and Memnok like this.
  11. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did Hotstuff fab that camper shell? Looks ADV-F compliant.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Daughter. You guys kill me. Home fabbed shell = ADV-F basecamp.
    td63 and Blaise W like this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We were near the joint with the fancy goat cheese and I wanted Hotstuff to try it. They were closed. Win some, loose some.
    D0FCE3B1-39D1-4D1A-8F9A-9F7EEC003166.jpeg

While we scored no cheese, an awesome route presented itself and we had a direction for the rest of the day.
    70906B34-F37A-4749-A5AA-D830D3A8EA1C.jpeg

We found another abandoned well rig. This is a newer generation than the others I’ve cataloged.
    DF013B82-CC6C-49BA-8011-3B4E8B9CF1F0.jpeg
    BillUA, crashkorolyk, mnTwin and 14 others like this.
  14. TRIPPEEE

TRIPPEEE ugh

Oddometer:
    What is in the ADV-Fer's tool kit? Especially to take care of a flat tire? I swear it takes me an hour and a half and 5 beers to change a tire in my garage. When I'm done I'm surrounded by eleventy dozen tools and spatters of blood everywhere.
    CaseyB, mrmushman and Yeti2ride like this.
  15. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I f*ckin despise flats. Really glad it didn’t taco your rim @Joe Motocross. Had a 5th gear flat like that except it was the front, just about tank-slapped my arse into the weeds. Nice big split along opposite sides of the tube. And I pinch flatted the spare in my haste. Plenty of expletives.

You covered serious ground before coming to a stop, glad the tire didn’t shred itself. Enjoyed the video HS took, yep, that’s a class 5 :lol3

Still catching up...
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    BWAAAHAHAHA! I know the feeling.
    liv2day likes this.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I’m glad you brought this up @TRIPPEEE because it’s something that should be covered. There should probably be a passage in the Minimalist Manifesto about flat repair. ADV-Fundamentalists pride themselves on being self sufficient. Flat tire repair is definitely a learned skill and ADV-Fs take it to “art form” level. It is an absolutely critical skill for remote dirt travel. We won’t be discussing the pros and cons of Tubliss vs Tubes here. I’m sure it’s covered in agonizing depth somewhere else. My only comment is that if you think that Tubliss eliminates your flat tire issues, it doesn’t. You need to know how to efficiently remove and mount a tire and tube. Period.

The tools required are nothing special. It’s really all about technique. Keeping in line with basic ADV-F principals in not bringing more than is needed, most ADV-Fs only carry a single combination tire iron/axle nut wrench, a simple hand pump, and an innertube patch kit.

Here’s a couple of simple tips to use:
    • When mounting a tire, partially inflate the innertube so that it has shape inside the tire. This makes it more unlikely that the tire iron will grab the tube and pinch it. It will deflect off the partially inflated tube as you take bites at the bead.
    • Use water on the tire bead to keep it slippery when mounting the tire.
    • After getting the tire part way onto the rim, use both knees to hold the tire bead down into the drop-center part of the rim while you use your tire iron to continue to mount the bead. We learned this from Malcolm Smith back in the day. Great method and still have not found a better way.
    Most of the time, a repair in the field only requires one bead to be removed from the rim. In the case you need to remove the entire tire, we use the “monkey hump” technique:

BillUA, eaglescan, chudzikb and 12 others like this.
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I'll add, and it may have be something I read in one of JM's other RRs or someone else's posts last summer, don't assume you need to undo the stem nut and pull the entire tube out to patch it, you can just loosen the stem nut most of the way and pull out the tube, inflate it to find the leak and hopefully patch it and then stuff the tube back in. Some tires are a complete SOB to get the stem back in the hole (at least for me they are) and skipping that step if possible will save time and lessen the amount of sweating your balls off in the sun.
  19. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure what I just witnessed, but pretty sure Monkey Humping is what got Mr. Scopes in hot water. Gotta try that one.
  20. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT