Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks proper tight :lol3 :lol3 Expect something to come out of the bush and attack you too...lol. Reminds me of bush-wacking in eastern OR on a ride a couple years ago. The track we were following disappeared and we were on private property (with permission). Had to switch back down to a creek crossing and then finally found our way back out...was fun as hell.

Great set of pics @Joe Motocross, did you guys end up taking a dip in the river, or just sit by and enjoy the plums? Cool Ford rig too, imagine she has a shit ton of torque to be hauling house boats around.

Looking forward to the next one man :thumb
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    @liv2day Ya know, it was just cool enough that we didn't feel the need to get naked and fully submerge. We just splashed off. Plus, we hadn't covered that much distance as the "Old Crow" flies so we felt the need to keep moving. Those old Fords are interesting. Hard to find parts unless you know that the cab is actually the same as the old F100s!
    liv2day likes this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    For the next part of the day we were hauling ass on these straight ranching roads.
    Day20c - 1.jpg

We were covering some ground!
    Day20c - 2.jpg

The roads would get faint on some stretches. Ranchers are about the only ones who use these.
    Day20c - 3.jpg

These things are just carved straight as an arrow across the desert. Pretty surreal in their own right.
    Day20c - 4.jpg

It seemed like every time we made it over a horizon line, the next one looked just the same! Long stretches of two track leading into the distance.
    Day20c - 5.jpg

Soon we were cutting down to a river we needed to cross. We were pretty sure we could make it. If not, it would be a long backtrack and detour to get to a bridge.
    Day20c - 6.jpg

The crossing had a fairly deep section but nothing too alarming. We punched it without having to walk across to check it first.
    Day20c - 7.jpg

I make sure Hotstuff gets plenty of river crossing practice so that when we need to get the deal done, she’s ready. This is why EVERY river crossing is necessary. Practice.
    Day20c - 8.jpg

With the successful river crossing behind us, we could relax and cruise into town at a leisurely pace. We had plenty of time left to get gas and supplies and still ride more before finding a camp.
    Day20c - 9.jpg
    mnTwin, BillUA, rudy4pl and 25 others like this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We continued into town on a well graded road.
    Day20d - 1.jpg

I wanted to check out one of my Adjustafork caches to take inventory. I have a few of these scattered across the desert in case someone orders one while I’m out riding. I have these stashed under a rock. There were 3 left. One more than I had thought! I put them back for future shipping. If you can find them, they are yours but let me know so I don’t count on them being there!
    Day20d - 2.jpg

This would be the last stop for supplies. We had one night and one day left of the journey. This was a sad realization. There was a weather system moving through this evening so we chose food we could eat cold if we had to. We might be hunkered down this evening.
    Day20d - 3.jpg

Again, in ADV-F form, we started out of town with a general direction but no set plan. Our goal was to get somewhere that had some dead wood and perhaps a wind block.
    Day20d - 4.jpg

Weather was still gorgeous right now!!!
    Day20d - 5.jpg

Too fun.
    Day20d - 6.jpg
    mnTwin, BushPig6, enduro16 and 28 others like this.
  5. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Hell. Yes! Love this and Utah. I long for a return trip... on any bike; road, ADV or dirt.

In fact, Adjustafork ordered in preparation for summer moto adventures.
  6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    True but depending on where and when, Utah may tire you. Utah is not always grins and giggles but it is always entertaining. Confession, there's a chair in the orange bag, have a seat in the mud and lean back on that front tire for a little rest. :D DSC00068.JPG DSC00069.JPG
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    ^^^Oh man, shit can go wrong for sure. Been there. Good on you for coming clean about the chair @Sparrowhawk.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We crossed under some railroad tracks in a wash culvert. Someone else had been here creating a little desert art. Seems like a good sign when you stumble onto something like this.
    Day20e - 1.jpg

The riding continued to deliver.
    Day20e - 2.jpg

There was no doubt that the storm system was approaching. We were hoping for the best tonight. Nothing we could do though except keep on keeping on!
    Day20e - 3.jpg

We found a spot on some conglomerate rock. It had some shelves that would provide wind block from the anticipated northwest wind overnight. It also had dead juniper around. Perfect.
    Day20e - 4.jpg

We commenced doing what Adventure Rider Fundamentalists do; have a cocktail, build a fire and get the Adjustaforks out. We had Kielbasa that we could have eaten cold but things worked out in our favor and the wind hadn’t kicked up too much yet.
    Day20e - 5.jpg

It was going to be fairly cold this night and we had a HOT fire going. We wrapped the Kielbasa and I made quesadillas with the leftover supplies.
    Day20e - 6.jpg

So freaking good after a hard day of riding!!
    Day20e - 7.jpg
    Day20e - 8.jpg

There was a chance for rain overnight so we stretched out the tarp, crawled under and called it a night. I was coming to terms that this adventure would end tomorrow.
    Day20e - 9.jpg
    mnTwin, BillUA, rudy4pl and 20 others like this.
  9. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Joe Motocross Did you shame Hotstuff for her blatant camp shoe use?! Preach on brotha!
    td63 likes this.
  10. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    looks like i'm headed to Utah to look for caches:D:D
  11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's some relevance to what is being preached here. So I've confessed to the sin of carrying a chair.

But, the question is, is sin absolute or does the ADV-F brotherhood allow for the environment that person is in? Are sins absolute or relative? Can the sin of carrying frivolous accoutrements be balanced against choosing a lighter motorcycle? Consider this poor soul who spent several hours traversing a few hundred yards on the slipperiest shit one might imagine after a July rain storm. Is that the happy face of an adventurer enjoying a Utah vacation? Notice the lack of a front fender which was packing up with mud and locking the front wheel within a couple of rotations. After several falls in this slippery shit, the stress on his knee was too much, requiring a U-Haul to get the bike back home and surgery to repair the damage.
    DSC00067.JPG

So, the lesson here is that excess weight can not only put a crimp on your roost, it can actually be dangerous and ruin your day.

12. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh wise one, what sort of oil change interval does the small bike end up with on trips like this?
  13. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Potential crummy weather aside, looks like a great way to spend the last night of this adventure @Joe Motocross. Good grub, a fire, some drinks, and your girl.

Always bittersweet for me to hit the last night and day of a trip; look forward to getting home; but the desire to keep riding, exploring, and camping in the wild is just a strong.

Look forward to seeing how you wrap this one man :thumb
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You know, I had to let that one slide for a number of reasons. I'm already impressed that this female makes due with WAY less than most males. Usually she brings a smaller pair of shoes. Not sure why she chose those for this trip. She got a new minimalist pair for X-mas.
    td63, bbanker and liv2day like this.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You should be able to find them, no problem.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    That's right! If you look past all the silliness and nonsense, there is actually a method for the madness. You have just demonstrated a great example of why Fundamentalists do things like they do. Chair sin is absolute though and you'll most likely never wash your soul clean.
    Ginger Beard and bbanker like this.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I think the 500 got 3 oil changes during this journey. While out on the trail, usually we just drain the oil and put in fresh. No filter maintenance. We like the metal filters. Air filters are maintained by using filter skins that get swapped every few days.
    Foiler and DCrider like this.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Well said. I'd had more than my fair share of adventure but I definitely could've kept going.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    DAY 21: Final day of roosting

It was cold when we crawled out of our bed. Not ridiculously but enough to bundle up pretty good.
    Day21a - 1.jpg

The northwest wind was still a bit breezy so we had to use one of the shelves to block our fire. Standard ADV-Fundamentalist stuff here. Croffee and noodles. Sure, it's easier to break out a gas stove to cook but there's really no need most of the time where we ride. There is no question that fire is the most simple and least gear intensive method for cooking.
    Day21a - 2.jpg

It was quite a pleasant morning despite a little wind and cool temperatures. We took time to enjoy it just like any morning out here.
    Day21a - 3.jpg

Next it was time to ROOST!! We had lots of great sections ahead of us to get back to our truck. It was going to be a great way to finish the journey.
    Day21a - 4.jpg
    mnTwin, CaseyB, scudo and 20 others like this.
  20. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3 :imaposer :imaposer
    Foiler likes this.