Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    In the future can we refer to the end of a trip as the beginning of a "roosting fast" ?

The "final day of roosting" seems as though the gods of roost are beginning the bikepocalypse and casting judgement in the final days of the Book of Revolutions. I just can't see them doing that to such a deeply pious prophet or his apostles.
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    but 30 lashes with a voile strap might help :lol3
  3. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are the tops to your cups made from license plates?

[​IMG]
    Zubb and Ginger Beard like this.
  4. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ... clearly made from prison contraband during that little stint our pastor did before he was called into the ministry.
    HarveyMushman, td63, tlrmark and 3 others like this.
  5. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Yep, here he is in action

20200205210038.jpg

Attached Files:

advrockrider, CaseyB, GrrrlX and 6 others like this.
  6. Cavguy

Cavguy Ride it like you stole it!

Oddometer:
    How did I miss this trip? I was in Green River from March to mid October! Guess I need to spend more time here on ADVrider! I might be back at GR some of March, April and some of May 2020. Making my way up into Idaho this season, May till hard freezings start. I’ll be in Challis then back to Tucson for the winter!!!
    Would love to tag along on the next one!

You guys done good!

Cavguy
  7. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camped in a public turnaround. Golf carters stopped and glassed, then left. Joe didn't seem too upset about sharing the space. Which, when you think about it, is what happens on public land all the time until someone decides they're better, or they can damage it, or others don't share the same freedoms they do.
    Zubb, Blurred and ExplorerFrog like this.
  8. Blurred

Blurred Mo-Tarded

Oddometer:
    Suggesting attempted Violence towards others is bad. When those others happen to be a hunting party with rifles.. it is also quite stupid.
    Zubb likes this.
  9. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heh, yeah, interesting how we can all interpret this situation and pic differently. I gotta teach some classes in "intercultural communication" soon and think I'll bring this in as a case study: are these guys being dicks, or are these guys just being dudes?

I suppose the answer is in the question: did they offer y'all beers and ask about your bikes?

In my experience:

a) half of all campers go into the sticks to get away from it all, seeking peace and quiet

b) the other half goes out there to party.

Neither is in the wrong but it's easy for both to trip over each other.
    bike, Buckee, BobcatSig and 9 others like this.
  10. Geraldo Rivera

Geraldo Rivera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Profit Motocross is busy with work right now but will wrap up this trip report next week.

The recent posts bring up some things that should be noted about the Adventure Rider Fundamentalists.
    • Unlike many other religions, the Fundamentalists are quite accepting of different people even if they do drive off road golf carts
    • ADV-Fs are in no way perfect and do have prejudices and will poke fun of people who ride off road golf carts or overloaded beemers
    • Often, when the Fundamentalists get past their prejudices and strike up a conversation, interesting things are learned
    • Motocross and his crew needed to find a camp quickly that night and it wasn't their idea of a perfect location. Visitors weren't totally unexpected.
    BobcatSig, svtride, chudzikb and 5 others like this.
  11. td63

Oddometer:
    Clearly the time has come: recruit a dozen wealthy but entirely ill-prepared strangers, take them on all out into the desert on expensive bikes they've never ridden, nearly kill a few, and then let Profit Motocross Save Them...film the whole thing and sell it to Amazon Prime.
    bike, Scribe, CrazyCooter and 2 others like this.
  12. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been done. Did you see Phantom Lake?

Or was that your point?
    CrazyCooter and scarysharkface like this.
  13. td63

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'm gonna get past the first episode, so, yeah, that was the point. :)
    BobcatSig and CrazyCooter like this.
  14. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually, it’s entertaining, in a reality tv kind of way.
    td63 likes this.
  15. Slowthump

Slowthump n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome post which caused this long time lurker to go legit and sign up! I hope to someday cruise Moab in your minimalist style. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Lanis, CaseyB, CrazyCooter and 2 others like this.
  16. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Welcome!!
  17. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Wow. A lot going on here since I last posted.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. That title didn't come out just as I had meant it. "The final day of roosting" does seem like a more appropriate title for a bigger event.

Yes or any other thin aluminum we can find. @Zubb and @DCrider, you are funny fu*k3rs.

@Geraldo Rivera, thanks for clarifying that. Ok, I'll admit, we have some prejudices to work on. We are really trying to get past the "chair packing" overloaded beemer one. That's a tough one. While we could've done without the "offroad golf cart" guys, they scoped their elk and left, not a huge annoyance. What do you expect when you camp in a turnaround?

Very doubtful I'd agree to such a thing but they say every man has his price!!

Inspiration is a big part of ADV Fundamentalism.

I twisted my ankle pretty bad today out on the snowbike and I'm laying down with it elevated and iced. Guess I have a little time to finish this up.
    CaseyB, Foiler, cprbusa and 2 others like this.
  18. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    There wouldn’t be much adventure in finding our route this day. We knew all the routes we intended to ride back to the truck. The adventure would be just good solid riding and making it back to the truck.
    Day21b - 1.jpg

The route followed some old rugged roads up through a rocky section. Nothing too difficult, just fun stuff. Great start to the day.
    Day21b - 2.jpg

Next onto some good singletrack.
    Day21b - 3.jpg

We’d depleted all of our supplies except for some snacks and enough water for the day. The bikes were light. Perfect for some good unencumbered roosting!
    Day21b - 4.jpg

This section was definitely a highlight.
    Day21b - 5.jpg

Enough little moves to keep you on your toes.
    Day21b - 6.jpg

ADV-F Scripture: Be happy and give the ROOST GOD thanks daily because He created you for a purpose. Laugh, have fun, smile, and roost. Learn to cherish the small things.
    Day21b - 7.jpg

We had a river that would need to be crossed in order to get to the truck. A necessary river crossing. We headed down to take a look at it.
    Day21b - 8.jpg

No problem.
    Day21b - 10.jpg

Easy one.
    Day21b - 9.jpg
    Old Smokey, mnTwin, enduro16 and 16 others like this.
  19. Geraldo Rivera

Geraldo Rivera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
    ktmsnake, Ginger Beard, td63 and 2 others like this.
  20. cprbusa

cprbusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're gonna need a "Crowfee" splint for that ankle.

Public Service Announcement: I am not a doctor, but I did sleep through a first aid course once.
    Joe Motocross and td63 like this.