Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. North ride

North ride Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap Mint.
  2. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    The rear tire mounted on the front is integral to the central meaning of the movement, and I think you meant "false profit".
  3. Geraldo Rivera

Geraldo Rivera n00b

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what we are trying to get to the bottom of. Is Joe Moto a false prophet or do his beliefs hold as much water as any other religious movement? I have to say that his ideas are at least as believable as Joseph Smith finding golden plates from which he transcribed the Book of Mormon and then the plates somehow mysteriously disappeared.

The 18” front wheel is certainly deeply rooted in the movement. I have not found any documentation (although I am attempting to get a copy of the Minimalist Manifesto which Joe created and the 18 may be referenced in) that dictates members strictly use the 18, but it is highly encouraged and more and more members are choosing it. Similar to the Mormon Fundamentalists (FLDS) which are easy to spot because of their clothing style, ADV-Fundamentalists are easy to spot because of the 18” front.
    SisterWife.jpg

The extra fat front tire is not a new concept that the ADV-Fs dreamed up. As the term “fundamentalism” suggests, it means getting back to or keeping with the roots of the original movement and the ADV-Fs try to uphold belief in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture. The best historical example may be the Triumph T120C 650 “Desert Sled” (built by Bud Elkins) that Steve McQueen used for “Cow Trailing” in the California deserts. Elvis (who apparently also performed “unnecessary river crossings” -more on that later) was another who popularized this style machine as well as John Wayne.
    DesertSled.jpg

There were many others from the era and you will even note the similar photo style which Joe Motocross uses often.
    DesertSleds.jpg

I think it is obvious that the ADV-Fs are sticking close to the literal interpretation of this “Desert Sled” scripture. The reader should be aware of the term “Desert Sled” (see article here) which refers to 500cc or larger machines modified for desert prowling. From the article: "Early desert sleds were built by a rider concerned with only himself". From this it seems very obvious that the ADV-Fs are closely following scripture.
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    If Moto-Joe offers me a drink of the Kool-aid I'm gonna pass.....
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Scoundrel? WTF @Geraldo Rivera?! I knew you were going to throw me under the bus when I agreed to speak with you. Guess I did draw first blood by calling your reporting “fluff”. But you might want to ease up or we’ll have to get the moderators involved here.

I will, on the other hand, tip my hat to you for digging into the “Desert Sled” stuff. Can’t say I’ve ever heard that term but I LOVE IT!! It is true that I decided to try the 18 after seeing some photos of some vintage desert bikes similar to what you posted. Appears that there’s more to it than I even suspected. Cool stuff, you scored some points there.
    Shaggie, cprbusa, snglfin and 5 others like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    @joenuclear you know better than to think we drink kool aid on these trips. We might offer some croffee though. Maybe you’d have a different answer to that? Eternal endless wheelies could be a good ending.
    cprbusa and Ginger Beard like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Day 3: The Presiding High Council is now 4 riders strong

Blurry Murray and Mo the Jack Muslim show up in the morning and add to the Presiding High Council for the next four days. They are always good for more than just a few words of wisdom around the campfire.
    Day3 - 1 of 71.jpg

Blurry Murray is trying out the 18” front rim on his “Desert Sled” for the first time on this trip. I’m curious about what he’ll think of it. He’s running a Giant Loop which basically is too big for ADV-F standards but he gets the job done with it.
    Day3 - 2 of 71.jpg

Drey decides he needs some more air flow through his visor at higher speeds so his head isn’t getting whipped around as much. He marks some openings.
    Day3 - 3 of 71.jpg

And cuts them out.
    Day3 - 4 of 71.jpg

Drey Dog snaps a shot of the four members of the current Presiding High Council with only him in focus and we start riding.
    Day3 - 5 of 71.jpg

We get onto the trails not far from my place at about 6000’ in elevation. The dirt is a bit moist from the recent storm. Freaking really good stuff!!
    Day3 - 6 of 71.jpg

We work through a single track moto complex for the next 20 minutes.
    Day3 - 7 of 71.jpg

Excellent way to start the morning.
    Day3 - 8 of 71.jpg
    Shaggie, cprbusa, Foiler and 10 others like this.
  9. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I for one would like to thank Geraldo for his trenchant analysis of this blossoming cult. It's never easy being an embed, but his reporting to date seems detailed and objective. You lost me years ago with that whole Al Capone's safe thing, Geraldo, but you are slowly winning me back.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  10. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    If he does, it will probably be Croolaid, for daytime hydration.
    ExplorerFrog likes this.
  11. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm shocked that I'm the first to say something about this, but I'm not fully assured in the "profit's" faithfulness to ADV-F ideals. While one could understand the need for an auxiliary petcock, saving the weight needed for carrying a proper accelerant, the presence of worm clamps astounds me! While a spring clamp or safety wire would suffice, he dares to laud the fundamentals of carrying lightweight straps, and leaving the chair behind, while carrying the added egregious weight of an unnecessary fastener! Listen to Geraldo, he is nothing but a false profit!
  12. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    :nod
  13. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frickin' awesome, love hero dirt when dust isn't an issue and traction rocks. :D

Hard laughs with the commentary by @Geraldo Rivera, and kick arse finds on the old desert sled pics with some seriously cool shots to boot. :thumb

Enjoying this report, can't wait to read what comes next :nod

Knobby side down fellas :ricky
    Ginger Beard and Joe Motocross like this.
  14. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Or ghost riders of desert sleds past
    Piggdekk and Joe Motocross like this.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Man, there's something to keeping it real like that. There's a chance we know them. Got a few members still getting it done on some dated machines.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The storm has passed and things have cooled off a bit. Temps are perfect and we’re all enjoying the trails. Good action right from the get go!!
    Day3 - 10 of 71.jpg

Due to the recent storm, we decide that it’d be best not to climb too high into the mountains for a day or so. We opt for a series of mid elevation routes although even these are a bit greasy.
    Day3 - 11 of 71.jpg

The route is medium difficulty and the crew is all over the place in the mud and wet rocks.
    Day3 - 12 of 71.jpg

“Hey Joe Moto! Why is your bike facing the wrong direction and off the road?”
    Day3 - 13 of 71.jpg

Out of focus shot but you get the picture.
    Day3 - 14 of 71.jpg

We climb to about 9100’ up a north facing draw which should be as wet as we should see this day.
    Day3 - 15 of 71.jpg

We make it over the pass.
    Day3 - 16 of 71.jpg

Blurry is not impressed with the trials tire in the mud. It’s slippery and is getting caked up to the point where the tire is starting to jam between the forks.
    Day3 - 17 of 71.jpg

We’re seeing signs of things being a bit dryer on the southerly facing slope we start to descend.
    Day3 - 18 of 71.jpg

The mud is a minor annoyance. I am just totally ecstatic to be starting a good long ride.
    Day3 - 19 of 71.jpg
  17. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride JM, those ADV-F guys on the old machines might have bugged them out to the desert this way

IMG_0464.JPG
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Freaking excellent. A literal example of “bug-out”. Great shot, love it. This is ADV-F.
    cprbusa and yakawars59 like this.
  19. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That capture if effin' fantastic @Joe Motocross, I seriously dig seeing a track wind off like that with a rider making their way in the sunshine. Brilliant photo man.

Hell yeah. Wish the mud had been a minor annoyance on my latest outing. Hope you don't mind me posting a pic, but the shot below was a MAJOR annoyance...lol. F*ckin' gumbo mud is hell.

[​IMG]

So glad you guys didn't get caught in this type of crap, especially with trials fronts - would have been like iceskating.

Keep on fellas, want to see some roasted flesh cooked over a fire on the adjusta :ricky
    yakawars59 likes this.
  20. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to another awesome adventure in the high country!