1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joe what is the riding season out there?

The only good thing about living in FL is I can ride year round. I just get up earlier and shorten the rides sometimes in the heat of the summer. Winter is wonderful.

What months can you ride? I would imagine you have a few spring and fall months that are damn near magical.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Joe Motocross - when you going riding again man :lol3 :lol3? Need something to help me make it through the next few weeks whilst waiting to head out on my own 2-wheeled fun (chair included :patch).

As others have stated, appreciate your story and you taking the time to get pictures, post pictures, and craft an excellent report.

Keep the knobby side down man :thumb
    Yeti2ride and dano619 like this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Uh, thanks (I think) @Geraldo Rivera for your conclusions about our roost religion. Seems kind of like a backhanded compliment but we'll take it.

Spring and fall are when I do the most of my riding. I generally don't ride December or January. Depending on the year, you could. It's not uncommon to get a ride in during February. Summers are hot so you need to go for altitude then.

I've had fun running my mouth about this ride. I dragged this on WAAAAAAYYY too long. Had no intentions of doing that. Just didn't get things buttoned up before my winter season kicked in. Avalanches, skis and snowbikes consume me in the winter. I forecast avalanches on the National Forest in the winter. Here's a peek at what winters look like:

I'll get a photo of my tool kit. A few folks have asked me about it. It's nothing special but rarely do we need something that's not in it. I think I could trim some weight by getting some different tools but I haven't bothered with that yet.
  4. NoSpam

NoSpam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only made it through two episodes and as much as I love to support anything "motorcycle" on TV, "Phantom Lake" (Amazon Prime, 2020) is a total shit-show and a black-eye for our sport. I can't believe the egomaniacal pastor convinced an insurance company to underwrite such an ill-advised, ill-conceived venture. Unbelievable...if streaming services are THIS hard-up for content, I have some videos of my dog playing fetch I could sell them.
    xcsks, Scribe, Alohadmac and 2 others like this.
  5. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Wow JM, you've got it rough............................ I'm so jealous................
  6. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heh, right?

I gotta admit after turning it off half a dozen times I actually wound up watching it all. Something about having to look at a car wreck, I guess, and then for all the joking around in this thread about cult leaders, that dude's the real deal, f----g with those riders' heads at every turn, making each one feel like they, not he, are to blame for that shit show. Crazy stuff.

Meanwhile, over here: looks like Joe Motocross has as much fun in the winter mountains as out in desert. Figures, ye bastid.
  7. v4play

v4play Throttlephile

Oddometer:
    Adjustacondom... practice safe forking.
    chilejack and liv2day like this.
  8. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Apo Is all the stuff where the airbox used to be just crammed in there or did you make a little tray? Asking for a friend...
  9. JakeBob

JakeBob Austrian In-Law

Oddometer:
    I've enjoyed lurking on this thread. To answer the immediate Rade Garage (look online) makes this for the KTM 690, or alternatively a 1.5 gal fuel tank.

You guys drank more Booz over the period of this trip than I have my whole life, and I'm in my 60s. I HATE whiskey - long story - but do enjoy a beer once in a while at the end of the day. No judgement just not my style. I do agree completely with the religion of roost, the spiritual enlightenment of the natural world, fantastic thanks for sharing! I will definitely use your minimalist approach, but on long adventures through territory you don't know this may not be so easy. Still, point taken. One question, how do you know what property you are on, I grew up in the country side of Colorado and you could get shot for trespassing, even today. Is this all national park or BLM land? Thanks again, and happy roosting!
  10. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’m aware of the Rade tray, but just can’t see myself spending that much cash for something I think I could solve for a few bucks. Granted, I’m a big talker....we’ll see if I actually do.

I was really wondering if a tray is necessary at all, or whether anyone just puts a dry bag in there right on top of the breather hose / valve cover maybe with some thin layer of insulation?
  11. v4play

v4play Throttlephile

Oddometer:
    Kind of like Dorothy and Toto in Kansas before the twister...
  12. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have the Rade Garage airbox replacement and storage kit. You can make your own of course (find what is needed to replace te airbox - filter and frame etc. - and then cut the oem airbox into a box). You probably won’t have as much space, but it would be a bit cheaper.
    If you use just a drybag, it won’t last long because of vibrations (even in Rade’ storage it gets damaged a bit).
    MattF44 likes this.
  13. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in having spent a lot of time in that area. Joe is mostly riding on BLM land. There is a mixture of National Forest sprinkled in when he is up in the trees. Regardless, there is very little private land to worry about.
    Foiler likes this.
  14. v4play

v4play Throttlephile

Oddometer:
    Just curious Joe...are you wearing armor betwixt your birthday suit and your mechanics suit?
    bike likes this.
  15. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that is forking funny.
  16. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    With all the amazing roosting and air shots probably something hard like armor under there :lol3
  17. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Tool kit. With the next roost season fast approaching it was a good excuse for me to take inventory of my tool kit. I try to keep things minimal and light weight but yet not skimp on tools. Let's go through everything in the photo below from left to right.

Custom tire lever with axle wrench welded on and a 3/8" socket drive welded on also. (missing 3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter)

$5 bicycle pump purchased at Target circa 2000. I just replaced the o-ring last fall, it should be good for another 20 years. :lol3

Bag of misc nuts and bolts.

JB Putty (need to get some new fresh stuff here)

Rear wheel bearing. Yeah, they get used out on the trail occasionally. This is something that everyone who puts serious miles on a thumper needs to be aware of. CHECK YOUR REAR WHEEL BEARINGS FOR PLAY - OFTEN! Pop the seals off with a pick and pack with grease. Replace your wheel bearings regularly. The sprocket side is prone to wearing out rapidly. The torque from the drive chain is hard on them. I can't tell you how many of these I've seen fail over the years. Many times it results in a blown up hub. This will end a ride quick. I blew out a bearing on the last ride of the fall season. I stopped before the hub exploded. However, I've about had it with this wheel bearing issue on these small bikes. I had Warp 9 here in Utah build me up a hub with a "cush drive". This style hub has an extra bearing on the sprocket side that the sprocket rides on. We'll see how this works but I've had incredible luck with my Super Enduro with the "cush drive" hub which now has over 40,000 miles on the original bearings.

Tire patch kit with a spare valve core and piece of belt from a belt sander.

Chain lube - 50/50 diesel and baby oil which is basically kerosene and mineral oil which is basically WD-40. Baby oil makes it smell fresh.

1/4" drive sockets, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14mm.

1/4" drive extension.

Flat head and phillips head screw driver bits.

Allen key bits and 1/4" drive socket.

Open end metric wrench with 1/4" drive welded to it.

Spark plug socket.

Half of a hack saw blade.

GOOD pair of plyers.

Box end AND open end metric wrenches. 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14mm.

Misc hose clamps.

Zip ties.

Various pieces of wire in various thickness. Wire gets used a lot.

IMG_9596.jpg

All this stuff gets "Voile strapped" to the bike. Spare tube wrapped in cardboard. This stuff is always on my bike. I never take it off even for day rides. Lots of guys frown on drilling holes through their precious plastic and fancy graphics. I could care less. My bikes get used and it's futile to try and keep them looking "showroom" new.
    IMG_9597.jpg
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We love it.
    Yeah, just some inexpensive chinese mesh body armor thingys that Hotstuff found for us. They have forearm pads, elbow pads and shoulder pads along with some chest protection and back protection.
  20. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice tool set. May I suggest wrapping some duct tape and electrical tape around the handles of a couple of the tools. I see you already have bailing wire.

If it can't be fixed with duct tape and bailing wire, it isn't really broken.