Adventure Rider Fundamentalism: Utah minimalist style

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand us folks from Washington State are particularly unwelcome since the whole Covid shit started here. Anybody have a black market Utah or Wyoming plate they want to sell?
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  2. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ironically I want to ride down into the canyon and out of Asotin today but figure my Idaho plates might get me ticketed over on your side. So I'm staying over here.
  3. Aptos

Aptos n00b

Oddometer:
    Old Crow 1.5l $10 and change on clearance?! I’m going to drink a lot of Crofee in the coming days.

Attached Files:

4. bike

bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man. The East coast sucks. My heart is ADV-F, but my location is not. I guess the solution is obvious...
    Jedi2Rider, TinMan207 and Foiler like this.
  5. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think somebody once said, "Go West young man!"
  6. Bdballestero

Bdballestero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up some straps from GL. I didn’t know which size until I read it in a thread...after my purchase. 2x15”, 12x 25” and 2x 32” will have to do. Where do I send my tithe to the ADV-F non-profit? If the caribinieri weren’t so strict (up to €3,000 fine), I’d probably chance an overnight in the local area to test them out.
    Where’s my drill?

Attached Files:

mbogage likes this.
  7. Foiler

Foiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weather is pretty warm out here in the west
  8. katoomon

katoomon Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer:
    Spring and fall are when I do the most of my riding. I generally don't ride December or January. Depending on the year, you could. It's not uncommon to get a ride in during February. Summers are hot so you need to go for altitude then.

I've had fun running my mouth about this ride. I dragged this on WAAAAAAYYY too long. Had no intentions of doing that. Just didn't get things buttoned up before my winter season kicked in. Avalanches, skis and snowbikes consume me in the winter. I forecast avalanches on the National Forest in the winter. Here's a peek at what winters look like:

I'll get a photo of my tool kit. A few folks have asked me about it. It's nothing special but rarely do we need something that's not in it. I think I could trim some weight by getting some different tools but I haven't bothered with that yet.[/QUOTE]

ECPT3 in the vid! Very cool to see but no eff'n thanks, down day for sure. I have gained a new travel perspective, great write up, photos. and places to explore.
    Skidyflidy, Gerst, 'Bob' and 3 others like this.
  9. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Special picture for Joe Motocross!

Only benefit of lockdown: you look at your old pictures! I did ride the « Champs Elysée » with this minimalist set up...

Attached Files:

10. NicKel78

NicKel78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So too small for ADV-F but if all you have is an air cooled 250 then one could say you are even more minimalist. Nothing like being so minimal as to leave half the cc's AND the coolant behind. Ditch the extra teeth on the counter shaft sprocket for extra weight savings and a little power boost.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    This is not only completely acceptable but encouraged. Fall riding season commences. See you out there.
  12. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like restrictions have eased a bit, and it may be time to get a few days of Utah riding in. Now to find a good camping spot, close to a reasonable store for supplies. The tourist laden locations are out! No Moab, etc. Anyone have a good suggestion for setting up camp out of a van for a few days, hopefully in a reasonably safe area? Riding a CRF450L but riding alone, and I'm old! So none of Joe's crazy sh..!
  13. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    3 step hideaway is always chilll. And Scott has tracks of area from their place. O tourists or riff raff. Sure you already know
  14. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, know it well, but I was aiming for something more to the west, in areas I haven't covered before, at least not in detail.
  15. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Muley point--------Mexican Hat just a bit down the Moki for supplies.

I got a few hundred more---but would be typing for hours:lol3

BD

Best campsite ever[​IMG] -------but I bet you've been there.
  16. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Indeed, but haven't camped there. A good idea! Not sure about leaving the van alone all day though. May need to reconsider 3-Step, but I never ruled it out. The above is just a day away from me, as is 3-Step. Hmmmmmm. One of the reasons I want to get up there is to kill most of a week while I wait on my new Africa Twin Adventure Sports to have the fuel tank issue cured. I put less than 60 miles on it before the problem turned it into a lump of steel and aluminum that was good to look at, but useless for anything else. I think I set the record on how fast it happened. Usually you get a few thousand miles before that problem rears it's ugly head. They are set to install the new pump this coming Friday, so between now and then......

Oh, the Alpine Rendezvous! Not quite Fundamentalism though....
  17. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to be just south of mt hiller doing some camping stop in and see us. Leaving in the morning be there for a few days.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    F6C4AE46-C4BF-41BC-9CA3-205EBD71EDC4.jpeg

You never know when one will need a desk at the campsite to catch up on paper work. I note you DID observe the no chair rule though.
  19. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    JM likes 'em wide front and rear...:wink:
    benedikt.m likes this.
  20. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great visual on the final diameter "difference"! Trials profile looks comfortingly more rounded than I expected.