Adventure riders in the greater Dayton area

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Boogey, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and gals! I'm looking for some people to ride and explore with from around the Dayton area. I'm new to the whole adventure riding thing.

I came from cruisers and because of this all my riding friends ride cruisers and don't want to do the type of exploring that I do.

I have a 2004 WeeStrom that I recently acquired and I'm looking for adventure.
    20180706_194724.jpg
    I live and work just south of Dayton and would live to meet some of you guys and go exploring.
  2. motojunky21

motojunky21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180512_151433.jpg Hi Boogey, I live in Beavercreek and also was wanting to meet some riders from the area to ride with. Just got home from long ride down through Pike state Forest ,Brush Creek state Forest then into Shawnee State Forest and back. Would like to meet up for a ride sometime.
  3. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! My dad and I took a ride down to serpent mound then up to Chillicothe for lunch then back home today. It's a great area out there. I actually live pretty close to Beavercreek in Kettering and I work down in centerville.
  4. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Yes the Pike State Forest area is about the closest area with any real gravel and dirt to Dayton. Sucks living in southwest Ohio. I hate riding around town due to all the distracted drivers. I usually run from Spring Valley to Paintersville,Port Williams,Sabina, then Greenfield. Once south of Greenfield I can finally get my tires in dirt and gravel.
  5. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on! I have next to no experience off pavement on a motorcycle. I have only taken the vstrom down one relatively short gravel road down near Caesars Creek lake that I know about. I would love to go exploring some dirt and gravel with someone more experienced that could give me pointers and such.
  6. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Boogey,I would advise you to set your bike up so you are comfortable standing. If I am not on pavement I am probably standing. Let's the bike move around under you and you move around to shift weight. Get comfortable using the front brake on loose stuff. Not many places to practice close. Anthony Rd. Just past Germantown reserve off Manning Rd. Last dirt road in Montgomery county is one place I can think of.
    you
  7. klxsqrl

klxsqrl klxSQUIRREL

Oddometer:
    Pike ATV trails were in "good" shape Sunday. Good being rutted by side by sides but still ridable. Standing up is valid advice if you plan on riding trails. There is a lot of good gravel down there but practically none here in the Dayton area. Dayton Dirt Riders have some trails over Sunwatch Village way.
  8. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice moto. I'm fairly comfortable riding standing up. I will stand up and ride a bit especially through neighborhoods. I think some bar risers are definently in the near future though.
    I'll definently have to check that area out. I don't think I have ever been out that way. I'll shot you a pm and see of we can get together and ride soon.
  9. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how much actual trail riding I'm going to be doing on the V-Strom. She's a big girl that I'm not sure I could pick up by my self if I went down in an awkward spot. I've been looking at getting a little 250 and doing a bit of trail riding. I have done a bit of offloading in my Jeep but never on 2 wheels. It is something I have always wanted to do though. I feel like this V-Strom might be a good stepping stone.
  10. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Will probably go for a ride Saturday. Most of my rides consists of a hour or so road drone to get as much dirt as I can find. Probably head to Tar Hollow then MacArthur area. I will try to let you know later in the week. Any body else is welcome to join in.
  11. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20180711_201551.jpg
    On moto's recommendation I took a short evening ride to find the only dirt in Montgomery county! Neat little road that meanders along twin creek.
  12. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Boogey, you still want to ride Saturday? Gonna be a hot one. Some riders from Central Ohio meeting in Laurelville early to ride some of the stuff I was planning on hitting. Not sure if I can get myself up early enough to meet them. Do you have a GPS? Pm me your email I can try to send you some gpx tracks.
    Boogey likes this.
  13. sosothree

sosothree IlikeTWINS

Oddometer:
    Hey Boogey, I'm also in the South-Dayton area. Riding a DL1000, usually just commuting. It's got Anakee 3s on it now, but I'm looking at the Mitas tires. How did they feel on the gravel?
    Boogey likes this.
  14. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately at this point it appears that my plans have changed and I have a wedding to go to on Saturday. I don't currently have a GPS. I was actually just looking at the Garmin inreach last night. Do you have any recommendations on GPS?
  15. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tires that are on it aren't too bad. I have very limited experience off pavement so I don't push it at all but from what I have experienced they are good. I might try the tkc80 when these need replaced. You didn't happen to have been riding down 725 about 30 minutes ago were you?
  16. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    I use a $30 smart phone from Kroger running a free app downloaded off the web. I use back country navigator but there are lots of apps out there. We will get out soon.
  17. sosothree

sosothree IlikeTWINS

Oddometer:
    Did you get the tires installed locally? I used to go to Sport Tour in Sharonville, but they closed down.

No, I wasn't out at lunch today...unless one of my co-workers took it out for a joy ride.
  18. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live on the north side of Cincinnati and am also interested in big bike adventure riding: gravel and light dirt. After attending March Moto Madness this spring it was a real eye-opener to just how unprepared I was on my first adventure ride of my life on a brand new to me V-Strom. Had plans to go to Alaska this summer but a heart attack right before I was scheduled to leave put the kabosh on that. As soon as I am able to ride this fall I'lll be looking to get out and join you guys!
    20180128_140423.jpg
  19. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Look forward to riding with you.
    slane6 likes this.
  20. Boogey

Boogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually just got this bike about 3 weeks ago so these were on it. Stuff like that I usually take to a friend of my dad's that works on bikes on the side out of his garage. However I have heard good things about Clinton County Motorsports service department. I've been in there once and their guys on the sales floor are super cool and knowledgeable and some of them are adventure guys too.
    The reason I asked was I was out on lunch and saw a guy ride by on 725 right when I was about to turn on to 725 as well riding what appeared to be a gray V-Strom.