Adventure Riding in the 80s - Tamanrasset 1985

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Krummemusic, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    That was great!
    Thank you for sharing your story and photos.
    This is a place only in memory now, but it can still inspire people to get out and have their own adventure.
    Like all good stories, this one has a moral.
    Things change - better get out there and have your adventures while still possible.

I think about some of the remote areas that people have to ride to get some solitude and be able to see the Milky Way at night, the shooting stars and sunsets and sunrises over landscapes unblemished.

We are blessed in the west that there are accessible places within reach.
    I cringe every time I read a ride report about having to "endure" the hardships of riding through the boredom of the mid-west and prairies of Canada.

Krummemusic - have you explored anywhere in North America?
    Come visit. The adventures are here. They call to you with small powerful voices to leave the city, leave your toils and noise and civilization and come see the night skies and listen to the silence and pee in the bushes and move through the world on two wheels to the rhythm of your own desires.

2. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :bow:devildog:beer

Thanks for that!
  3. Krummemusic

Krummemusic Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Surely the Americas are on my list...all the pictures/reports I have seen on this site...stunning and lots to explore

At the moment, I am still looking for places to see and experience new cultures around Asia (where I live)
    Just returned from my next adventure 30 years after Algeria - Nagaland/NE India. At the Indian/Myanmar border. I had a tea with the "Angh of Longwa" (google it..an interesting man)
    [​IMG]

But... one day it will be the Americas as well....you guys are blessed to have access to such a big country and diverse cultures...all on one continent....no hassles of shipping and flying. Start in Alaska and stop in South Chile.
    advrockrider, bomose and steved57 like this.
  4. Redkrouge

Redkrouge Independent

Oddometer:
    I think we're lucky too. Living in Europe allows us to ride from Portugal to Magadan. A crossing in Gibraltar can take us to Cape town. The Alps in a few hours or a few days to find ourselves in the desert ... :1drink

Bravo :clap
    Throttlemeister likes this.
  5. Krummemusic

Oddometer:
    good point Redkrouge...actually...one can drive from Germany/Switzerland to Singapore..or, the other way around...hhhhmmm.....now I start thinking....China/Kazahstan.....lets meet half way.....I am the guy on a green F800GS with Singapore registration...
    steved57 likes this.
  6. Redkrouge

Redkrouge Independent

Oddometer:
    Pretty easy to find! I'm the one with the "Kalamata" :rofl

[​IMG]
  7. Krummemusic

Oddometer:
    what a surprise

[​IMG]

I will be on a Kalamanta too.
    That will be easy indeed
    steved57 likes this.
  8. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    The flood of memories this thread has brought back. Algeria remains to this day my favorite experience abroad ... the people were so friendly and generous to me. Truly makes me sad, the turn of things ...

I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd share some images of my trip hitchhiking alone across Algeria in 1979, when I was 25. I dug out my old slides and scanned them for this thread ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll never forget getting a ride in the back of a pickup truck and meandering along the Mediterranean coast ...

[​IMG]

Later, in the desert somewhere, I got a ride in another pickup. We went to a village and picked up these fellows. The man on the right was curious about my eyeglasses, and asked to try them on. Gentlemen, each of them, showing the true character of Islam.

[​IMG]
    Square1, MrBob, advrockrider and 4 others like this.
  9. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    This thread is so awesome. Thanks for sharing.
  10. RageAgainstTheFence

RageAgainstTheFence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread, amazing how you just get stuff done by working with whatever you can. Thanks so much for posting!
  11. Krummemusic

Oddometer:
    The whole idea of my report was, to make you guys go down into your basement and dig out old photos like this and share.
    Its so amazing how things have changed - unfortunately not for good IMHO.
    A fantastic photos of these three gentlemen......
    I thought this blog has disappeared deep into a cloud of 01010101011....happy to see it still triggers memories for some .....of old, long gone, days....before I get philosophical I leave it that way
    steved57 and LandsVW like this.
  12. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing brings back so many memories of my early days of adventure, I could not afford a camera so a lot of my 80's and 90's adventures are undocumented glad to see no matter where you are in the world all young guys want to venture out there doing all manner of adventures to prove themselves
  13. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reviving this thread, Gedrog! It was so fun to relive the days when one could vagabond in such places ...
  14. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Just bumped into this thread.
    Yeah, those were the days. I was down there in the 80´s too. When we were Young, unexpeirienced, without GPS, only maps and compass, and no clue, but full of Adventure Spirit.
    I still have the R80G/S I was on then. It Looks different (more like the BMW Dakar bikes then), but is still running. 260000 Km. Last trip was Iceland 2up. Big fun. I´ll never sell it. I would put up some pics from then, but I am in the USA and have no Access to them.
    Thanks for posting the rr. Brings back good memories.(I had short hair already, but still a moustach)
    Thomas
  15. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Many would enjoy seeing picks of that bike! I was a solo hitchhiker then, so no bike photos.
  16. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Just klick onto the Iceland Report in my signature.
  17. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I just read it! You made Iceland so appealing. And what a battle-hardened bike, the real thing.
  18. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's nearly the weekend. High time for some rumpy-bumpy ;-)

[​IMG]

In the early 1980s this (below) was the sum extent of desert biking knowledge in English:
    "... DT175, KTM240, and KDX175 are equally suitable...."

The Sahara Handbook was great for its time, but the Ozzie authors (who drove a VW Kombi) were a bit out of their depth with bikes.
    I learned loads more from wincing at the sarcastic jibes of Mr Know-it-All in Dirt Bike magazine.

[​IMG]
    bomose, steved57 and byways like this.
  19. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bumping this. Truly a great adventure. And I'd never heard about the Angh of Longwa. Headhunters.