1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure riding trials bike?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Simonhantler, May 10, 2020.

1. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    We are getting trials bikes to get into bush tracks that other bikes can’t go ( unless he’s birch) but want ones with a seat and bigger fuel capacity. Anyone know which bike is best for this purpose?
  2. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Beta (2T or 4T) is your best choice for that as you can get the largest of the seat fuel tank options. (Edit: forgot about the TRS X-Track)

I will warn you that you will not want to sit much on it unless your willing to modify the seat though. Been on both bikes that are easy to find seats for (Beta & Montesa) and really other than sitting when taking a brake they really are not much for riding on when sitting.

You can find a seat tank for the Montesa as well but it only doubles your capacity where the beta’s extra tank is larger.

there are some other options for adding capacity but none of them are perfect. Fork mounted tank, fuel bottles on frame down tubs, fuel bladders, etc.

Edited: corrected for context.
    Norman Foley and y4m4 like this.
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    KTM Freeride
    Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trials bikes can be tough to adapt for this use. Trials brake rotor diameters is small, and will not dissipate heat well. Same with the rear shock. The wheel bearings and shock linkages are not sealed as well as dirt bikes. The trials shifter is more difficult to shift on the fly. The air filters are tiny and clog quickly. The suspension valving does not like speed and it can take a lot of effort to ride quickly. The peg position on a trials bike is very far rearward and puts the rider in an odd position for trail riding.

I would suggest looking at a light enduro bike instead, that addresses a lot of these issues. I had a KTM Freeride and it was a good compromise bike. I ran into issues with the Freeride and trying to ride it faster, boiling brake fluid and the suspension valving being too light. I got a KTM150XCW and it was almost the same weight as a Freeride, the 150 got good suspension and brakes. Both bikes are right around 200 pounds. I lowered the 150 by 3/4” and it was even closer to the Freeride. There is nowhere I can’t go on a dirtbike that I could go on my trials bike. In fact the dirtbike is better at long steep climbs that need to be hit quickly at the bottom. The only thing the trials bike excels at would be huge boulder fields.

I am now considering a KTM 300 that is lowered by 2”, one of the hard enduro head pipes for more clearance and a more trials power curve. Small diameter carb for similar reasons. A regular dirtbike could have the suspension lowered by 4” and sill have more travel and better quality suspension for trail use than a trials bike.
  5. Cascao

Cascao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM freeride can't go where trials bikes goes easly. (trials bikes can't be fast as freeride are easly)
    If you ride trials bikes like it should. Brakes, shock and everything is perfect.
    Seat, big gas tank and other bulky stuff only add weight and mess with proper body language.
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have done some stealth exploration riding on more technically difficult terrain on trials bikes, daylight and at night. As long as you don't have far to go away from base (I'd keep it under 4 miles) they are fine and fun.

The biggest adventure I had on a trials bike was doing Taos Cone from my NM cabin (8,700 feet) in 1992 on the Fantic which, thank goodness carried a little more fuel than the latest trials bikes. It was about 10 miles there and back and about 2,500 feet altitude change. No problem, until I lost an ancient indian trail going back down at about 10,00 feet and wandered stupidly off into an increasingly steep V-shaped canyon where NO ONE goes. I was riding alone.

I lived - barely, as popping over big logs on the side-slope of that canyon was at the absolute limit of my skill. It became so steep there was only one way to ride... down.

It was sundown as I ran out of fuel and coasted into our driveway. I had no water, warm clothing... nothing.

The things you do when young!

Most exploration riding is better on something bigger, unless the terrain is super nasty and it's safer on a trials bike. Most injuries I've had have been falling sideways down hill after a bigger bike suddenly stalls.

I did enjoy riding a Sherco 290-based X-Ride once. That's a great compromise bike. There are so few of those type bikes (bigger bike made from a trials core), however.

Because the majority of injury falls in the last two years have been from stalls on the big bikes, I'm doing some deep tech exploration on Rekluse clutches on my two bigger bikes, a KLR 685 and a Beta 390 RR-S. Yes, I have gone weenie dark side there, but so far it's proving out.

In a couple of weeks the KLR will have a very simple controls scheme... only hand brakes, throttle as clutch, and a shifter. No clutch lever, no foot brake.

You can read about all the fun starting page 1 here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/rekluse-clutches-technical-thread-all-applications.1439172/
  7. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imo trials bikes are pretty bad for anything other than trials. Note I love trials, trials bikes, and have and ride one regularly. For exploring, trail riding, etc., a dirt bike is generally better. Trials bikes handle really weird at any speed above a walking pace, tiny brakes, fuel range of about 8 miles, transmission has 3 gears that go more or less a walking/jogging pace, then two gears that are super tall for transfers between sections (usually dirt roads more or less). The gap between 3rd and 4th is huge. The suspension is also super flimsy and meant for very slow speed. At 20mph my mountain bike has much better suspension. The motors also make about 20hp, or less than a KX80 for reference.

I bet that if you get a trials bike, you'll love it, ride some trials comps, and become so much better at technical riding that you'll take your KTM 250 for the trail rides :)
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can get about 25 miles on my Beta 250 two stroke.
    So ten miles out would be as far as you would want to go. At the Ute cup the last two years I have always made the loop, except when my float stuck.
  9. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes weird is good!

I used to have fun with fast guys on my TY350 in tight woods. I'd wait until a group would enter a woods section, then chase them down and pass them. Tall gear and slip the clutch to slingshot out of corners. Speedway with turns! When the woods section opened up into deep whoops I'd stop and smile and let them by. Didn't want to push my luck and explode into pieces in the deep whoops! It was enough to wig them out and that's all I was after. All in good fun.
  10. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Max I have ever been able to get on my 07 Montesa 4RT 250 is 25 miles on a single tank, that was a fun ride and a lot easier on the trials bike. I had an extra 3.5 liters of fuel on the bike as I didn't know how much I needed but ended up only put in 1 Liter to finish the last 2 miles of the 27 total.

I always pick harder trails where possible so almost always go slow so no trail bike for me. I might get a bigger bike at some point but not sure, happy with just the trials bike as this point.
  11. volrider

volrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you’re dead set on a trials bike just get a 1 gallon giant loop gas bag and throw it in your pack. Half full and you’ll have WAY more range than you want to actually trail ride a trails bike. I did it once. A week later I owned a 200 beta enduro bike and I couldn’t be happier. And I have a once used gas bag hanging in the garage! Short range super gnarly trails a trials bike would be fun, anything more than that a small, light enduro bike is the ticket. There’s a reason you don’t tee off with a putter or put with a driver!
  12. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    Thanks jonnyc21. Lots of good advice.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  13. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    that new TRS bike. Xtrack

Keep in mind they (even what jonny was talking about) are trials bikes with seat/tank combo's Novice type dirbikers will find fork angle makes the bike slightly less stable trying to race down paths at speeds. But the bikes are light and agile for getting places you wont without some xpert skills on a dirtbike
    DyrWolf and Norman Foley like this.
  14. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. DyrWolf

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-5-13_18-48-57.jpeg
  16. DyrWolf

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-5-13_18-51-36.jpeg Tenaci wong Here comes the rock throwing
  17. CDMAN

CDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you see as adventure - long distance in rough terrain or short distance in very difficult terrain. Don't underestimate trials bikes for distance as 80 miles in the SSDT is average for all 6 days and the bikes do fine with basic maintenance. The issue is gas supply - either have fill stations along the way or carry with you. Beta, Montesa, TRS all make seat options or have "long range" models. Nothing will go where a trials bike can go if that is your idea of adventure. Just remember to have a safety/recovery strategy if the bike breaks or you get injured. Enjoy your bike and adventure.
  18. Fallacy

Fallacy FFE inc. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have this collection, the only seat that’s actually useable is the Sherco X Ride, even with that I’m standing the majority of the time. The GasGas and the Beta seats are mainly just a good place to rest when stopped.

3A5EBE1B-CDC6-4019-8C15-364D8B839B32.png

B4CBEB4B-BCFD-472D-B8C6-2837210B2042.png

BC2A05AB-50BC-4274-858F-0B024C08E9B2.png
    FrankenWompus, Bucho, Nobade and 2 others like this.
  19. sprinter27

sprinter27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s all about gas storage from my experience . We have done a bunch of “adventures “rides and exploring. No way we could have done it on an enduro bike with the terrain we traversed .
    That said I’d start off with a 4 stroke Beta or Honda / Montesa to build a trials adventure specific bike because of fuel mileage , sittings not an issue as I’m talking hard terrain , not travelling down forest service roads
    North ride likes this.
  20. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Glad you mentioned the TRS... in my original post I didn't mention the TRS XTrack because I forgot about it.

I also agree that one persons deffinition of adventure riding a trials bike could be quite different than someone else. To me a 20-30 mile advanced trail ride is a great adventure ride on a trials bike.