Adventure Sidecar Build - 2012 BMW R1200GS Adventure TwinCam + Ural Sidecar

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by mikepa, May 24, 2020.

1. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    As one or more inmates have pointed out to me, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting a different outcome. I'm OK with being crazy. Over the years, I've either commissioned, rebuilt, or built four BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural rigs:

The first, a DMC built 2005 R1150GSA/Ural rig, "WarBird", now owned by GlobeRider David O. in CA:

2018_01_31_gsa18_day09_09.jpg

The second, a 2004 R1150GSA/Ural rig, also built by DMC, since heavily modified and upgraded to include (not shown) an awesome leading link from end by Ad Donkers of LBS Sidecars (Holland). This is my favorite rig, I still own it, stored in Europe:

advhack03.jpg

The third, a "barn find" rebuild I did for a close friend who could no longer ride. She gifted it to me, and I rebuilt it, sold it to a cool guy also in CA, and sent her the proceeds. It was a 2003 R1150GSA, rigged to an Ural tub, also by DMC. It had been sitting in a barn in Eastern WA for five years before I took delivery:

You can see the build thread at:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-r1150gsa-ural-adventure-sidecar-build-refit.1384508/

advhack08.jpg

And finally, again for a friend and fellow GlobeRider, Andy U., a poorly "upgraded" Frankenbike, a single spark R1150GSA, mated to a DMC chassis kit, mounted with an Ural sidecar, by Max BMW in CT. Apparentlyu, the PO blew the motor, so they shoe-horned in a TwinSpark to replace it. It now looks like this, and as soon as he is comfortable making the trip from FL, it's in my "Garage Mahal", waiting for Andy to take delivery. Note the leading link front end by LBS Sidecars:

You can see the build thread at:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/here-we-go-again-yet-another-bmw-r1150gs-adventure-ural-sidecar-renovation.1428469/

advhack09.jpg

Also note, three of the rigs have @Stroker 's bullet-proof rotary-forged modular Advantage wheels, and in fact, though it doesn't show in the photo, the rig with Cross-Spoke BMW wheels has also has an Advantage wheel for a pusher.

Insanity indeed!

Since then, I just completed the build of a prototype Stepler Sidecar, mated to my new favorite tug, a 2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure TwinCam:

You can see the build thread here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/adventure-sidecar-build-stepler-2011-bmw-r1200gs-adventure.1384699/

20200408_145349.jpg

I love the bike! With an HP2 motor, many of the good qualities of the R1150GSA, and none of the fussiness of the WasserBoxers, I'm relapsing into a new round of insanity, building adventure sidecars with a TwinCam tug, and the tried and true Ural tub (which I still consider to be the toughest and most reliable tub for an adventure hack).

So, a new build thread commences here. I just took delivery of a fine 2012 TwinCam with an astonishing 4,900 miles on the odo:

20200524_143623.jpg

20200524_143423.jpg

The build sheet for this one includes:

- Another set of insanely great Advantage wheels by @Stroker.

- A new custom chassis and trailing arm, rigging, engine cradle, and twin-shock leading link front end by Ad Donkers of LBS Sidecars.

- Touratech shock on the sidecar, rear of the bike, and twin shocks on the leading link. Also, Touratech panniers, saddle, Desierto fairing.

- Rigid Industries auxiliary LED driving lights for the bike, and LED lightbar for the sidecar.

- HEX ezCAN to marry the electricals to the CANbus network.

Have already procured a Ural sidecar. First order of business is to take-off and list the following parts for sale: panniers and mounts, top case (trunk) and mounts, wheels, engine and tank guards with BMW lights, cylinder head protectors, windshield. Anyone need a centerstand :jack?

Having gone waaaay overboard on the Stepler's paint job, I think this one will be a single-color repaint, with Raptor chip guard where needed. I recently saw a new Ural Gear-Up Special Edition called "Red Sparrow" at the Ural/IMWA headquarters near my house. It was painted a color I liked called, appropriately enough, "Northwest Grey". I'll see if I can get a color code:

Capture.JPG

Stay tuned . . . .
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seem there is something to be said for ''if the shoe fits'' & it seems to be very comfortable.
    rg sw wa., Bobmws and mikepa like this.
  3. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Hah, like this?

shoe2.jpg

Or, perhaps a "two-fer"?

shoe1.jpg
    pops, zookster and RidgeRunner56 like this.
  4. mikepa

Oddometer:
    You've seen my rants about the electrical accessory install wiring mess(es) that I've seen on every bike or hack that I've worked on, right? The TwinCam I just bought, sight unseen, has had two only, who between them, only put 4.9K in the bike. The seller was a the type of rider you hope for, bike was super clean, and rather than stripping it of everything he could eBay to recoup some of his cost, I received a great package, all the Touratech goodies, even a newer OWM BMW LED headlight which he never installed (retail cost over $1K!). As he builds and sell custom tandem bicycles, he must have skills, so I assume the electrical stuff was installed by the original owner, and since he only had the bike for a short time, I could be wrong, but I'll bet the accessories were installed by the dealer.

I'm not surprised, so I expected the usual take all shortcuts mess. It's not that bad, in fact, perhaps one of the better installs I've seen, but here it is - five wires off the positive terminal, four off the negative, four fuses, two relays. What I have yet to discover is, why? The GPS mount is wired to the BMW connector up front. There are no other bolt-on electrical accessories. There is a single SAE-style lead for en electric jacket liner perhaps. Other than LED turn signals, I don't see anything else that would require all this. At least it's well cable-tied.

20200524_174101.jpg

Remember this from a previous build?:

Capture02.jpg

. . . and one of my favorite finds from a FB sidecar group, from "Slow Phil":

Capture01.jpg

Attached Files:

5. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk I'm in for the long haul, er "build" I mean.
    rg sw wa., BJMoose and mikepa like this.
  6. PoorPete

PoorPete n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this build. How I wish I had your wiring skills .. I always thought I was pretty good with electrics, but my wiring looks more like “Slow Phil’s” than yours. You are a true electrical artist !!!!
    mikepa likes this.
  7. mikepa

Oddometer:
    (Blushing) Thanks! I've had the advantage of nine months of military training in the maintenance, trouble-shooting and repair of radar and missile systems, 30 years of designing medical and consumer electronics, and owning, maintaining and upgrading a couple of large twin-diesel boats. I also have the time, to take as much time as it takes to do it my way . . . .
    pops, steam powered, brstar and 2 others like this.
  8. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's been a while, have been distracted with accessorizing a 2020 Ural Gear-Up that I've added to my small stable of adventure hacks:

20200614_205554.jpg

20200614_205037.jpg

Found a good used Ural sidecar body for the new project:

20200609_142741.jpg

. . . and of course, already have the tug:

2012_R12GSA_01.jpg

Ad Donkers of LBS Sidecar Technologies in the Netherlands is fabricating my leading link front fork kit, this one with twin Touratech Adventure shocks (the GS in the photo is a different model than mine, virtually all components of the OEM front ends are interchangeable, so it's a viable test mule). That's the rig I store in Europe in the background, had Ad install his leading link of it also:

IMG-20200619-WA0003.jpg

The final pieces of this puzzle are a set of Advantage Wheels from @Stroker. His awesome rotary-forged wheels for BMW GSes are based on a Centerline modular wheel. Centerline stopped producing them a few years ago. He's been able to find used wheels, but the supply of those is drying up as they are apparently super popular due to their size and strength with racers (I'm going to assume something like Baja-style cars), and he recently informed me I may receive the last set of wheels he'll every produce.
    zookster, Miggins1, Bobmws and 7 others like this.