Adventure Sidecar Build - Stepler/2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by mikepa, May 21, 2019.

1. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seattle, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Technically, I currently own four BMW sidecars:

#1 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural (Russian - at home in Seattle)
    #2 2005 BMW R1200GS/EZS Rally "L" (Dutch - at home in Seattle)
    #3 2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural (Russian - stored in Heidelberg, Germany))
    #4 2008 BMW R1200GS/ABEZ Adventure (Japanese - stored in Yokohama, Japan)​

I have buyers for #1 and #2.

I've signed up for Helge Pedersen's final GlobeRiders World Tour 2020 next year: 15,000 miles/24,000 kilometers, 90 days, starting in Japan, then through Japan, Russia. Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Albania, then on my own through Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland, to Germany.

So, I'm building #5!

For my soon-to-be-only rig at home, and for next year's World Tour, I'm building a new rig, based on a 2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure, and a prototype SBW/Stepler sidecar. As far as I know, there is currently only one English-SBW sidecar in the Americas, and mine will be the first SBW reborn as a Dutch-built SBW.

My builder is Ben Shinmori, of Build Motoheart in Maple Valley, WA. After 25 years working for others, Ben opened his own shop last year. I had the BMW and Stepler delivered to Ben's shop, and today I kicked the project off, spending the day disassembling the bike for re-paint and a general looksee and refit, and began disassembly on the tub for the same.

I'm also super happy that I'm chatting with Inmate Stroker (David Hinze), and he's going to fabricate a complete set of Centerline Advantage wheels for the rig, so I'll run automotive tires all the way around.

First set of build photos below, I'll keep adding them as we go:

Because importing a foreign-titled bike would be near impossible, Stepler agreed to sell only the prototype sidecar. Here it is sitting at the freight forwarder in Holland, ready for crating and air shipment.

Sidecar 010.jpg

Crated and block, ready to be closed up.

IMG_0793.JPG

Crated in sterilized wood as required by USDA/US Customs, ready for air shipment. From Holland to Maple Valley, WA USA in 3 days, to include customs clearance and inspection.

20190521_111219.jpg

It's official!

20190521_111230.jpg

Mock-up with the tub on a dolly.

20190521_111538.jpg

Another shot of the mock-up <g>.

20190521_111529.jpg

Rigging bits and pieces, includes a custom trailer-reduced lower TeleLever fork brace.

20190516_132214.jpg

For the tractor, found a lightly used 2011 TwinCam R1200GS Adventure with only 8,500 miles/13,600 kilometers on it.

20190516_132451.jpg

Completed bike disassembly for refit and paint, going to have some nice take-off parts for sale!

20190521_140305.jpg
  2. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Of course, those of you who do your own work know what a "naked" TwinCam GS Adventure looks like, but for those that don't, here you go!:

20190521_141150.jpg

20190521_141138.jpg

20190521_141202.jpg
  3. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Looks like a great build!

The GlobeRiders World Tour sounds awesome; wish I had the cheddar. Maybe I could CrowdFund it like the begpackers we're getting here in VN...

Good on ya!
  4. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Hah, good idea on the crowd-funding. I've seem some crazy stuff get monetized on FundMe and other sites! Awesome that you're riding in Vietnam, haven't made it there yet, though it's on the bucket list!
  5. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    For your trail reduction setup https://advrider.com/f/threads/dedone-trail-reduce-mods1100-1150gs.786238/page-9

Leaves the forks at the stock angle changes steering radius, you can ask DRONE about it pretty easy to push a plug into r 12 telelevers and machine a new ball joint mounting spot.

I like the twin cam GS's allot surprising amount of grunt, for general sidecar use a GS without leading links keeps the weight off and makes a practical adv sidecar rig.
    mikepa likes this.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really, really nice!
    mikepa likes this.
  7. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the feedback! For trail reduction, I have two options, and not sure I need both. First, the Stepler kit includes a custom lower fork brace that will reduce trail, this is how my EZS Rally kit was made, and it certainly reduces steering effort. On my two R1150GS rigs, I'm running a set of Stroker's Centerline Advantage wheels, with the 15" front, and the smaller rolling diameter of the Advantage front wheel/tire are sufficient to reduce trail and reduce steering effort.

With the Stepler kit, I have both a modified fork bridge AND will have the front 15" Advantage wheel/tire. Not sure I need both, so will install the wheel first and see if that's sufficient. If not, I'll install the fork bridge second.

Given these options, do you still see an advantage to modifying the TeleLever itself a la Dedone? Thanks!
  8. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Thanks StrongBad, you wouldn't happen to be interested in selling a "certain" front wheel would you <g> (been chatting a lot recently with Stroker!)?
  9. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I found that the combination of DMC's trail reducer and Stoker's 15" wheel was too much trail reduction and the rig became very "twitchy" and was a hand full. The 15" wheel alone is not quite as much trail reduction as the trail reducer, but it does make the steering effort much less than stock and that's with a car tire.
    mikepa likes this.
  10. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm very happy with Stoker's workmanship and have no plans of parting with the wheel. Didn't @angtlalaska have one for sale? Here was the listing:

mikepa likes this.
  11. steam powered

steam powered Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Using the lower fork bridge mount by itself means that you are reducing trail by extending the wheelbase of the bike. Adding the Dedome/DB telelever mod means that the wheelbase is returned to original and that the rake angle has been steepened instead. This means there will be less camber gain on the tire when turning the wheel keeping the tire flatter to the road surface. It also means there will be less rise and fall of the front of the bike when turning the steering, this is probably a minor benefit compared to the reduction in camber gain.
    mikepa and davebig like this.
  12. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you do. I've lived here since 2014 and plan on staying.
    mikepa likes this.
  13. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Thanks for he kind offer, same goes at this end in Seattle, we'll keep a light on for you!
    RetiredandRiding likes this.
  14. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Good to hear actually, I've purchased six wheels from Stroker so far, hopefully have three more coming! angtlalaska's wheel was sold a while ago. But thanks for the reference!
    Strong Bad likes this.
  15. davebig

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steam Powered, I haven't been selling these guys very hard
    FYI on Dedome trail reduction.
    But Stroker runs a Dedome trail reduction on his 1100gs.

[​IMG]
    My old 1150gs with Dedome trail reduction and Stroker wheel.

[​IMG]
    The bushes in the upper clamp that get extra wear when you rake the forks more by moving the ball joint alone, ones trashed.

[​IMG]
    # 2 Max BMW fiche $100.51

[​IMG]
    It's easy to do with the r12 ally telelever.

Used 2010 tele in UK but they have shipping

2010 BMW R1200GS K25 Adv. Front Trailing Arm Telelever Black 31427664976
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-BMW-R...923287?hash=item5d8ae070d7:g:G1UAAOSwTmtaDxds
    rg sw wa. and mikepa like this.
  16. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually have angtlaska's wheel in my garage (along with the rest of the bike) - I ran it for a little while, but prefer the spoked wheel set up. Carbon1.jpg
  17. 81twins

81twins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If someone is looking for a telelever to modify I have one from a 2009 1200GS I will sell. I removed it when I added a dedome telelever I got from Dave.
    rg sw wa., mikepa and davebig like this.
  18. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Lovin' this.
    mikepa likes this.
  19. mikepa

Oddometer:
    Though I have a "nicely equipped" shop at home, am super fortunate in that my builder allows me "free run of house" in his shop. Finally have the chair disassembled to the point where we can begin adding some gusseting in the space frame, have all the chassis/rigging bits prepped and re-painted, and the FRP tub and hood filled, sanded and re-painted as well.

stepler01.jpg

stepler02.jpg

stepler03.jpg

stepler04.jpg

stepler05.jpg

stepler07.jpg

stepler08.jpg

Attached Files:

20. davebig

Oddometer:
    Added gusseting ? Where ? Oops I see them.
    As much over kill as that thing is it has quite a bit of charm a real roll bar, mostly exoskeleton framing, the long transverse swing arm, both sides could be built in same jig.
    Could be interesting built in Chrome-moly, Did you start out as an Engineer Mikepa ?
    rg sw wa. and mikepa like this.