Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Below are dims from my Mk1s.Newer ones the same huge size.
    You can't estimate the volume of the flexible bag the way you can a rigid box.
    The true volume will be more (like a flat envelope has technically zero volume but as we know can fill out)
    More here. (may have gone through all this earlier in the thread, years ago)

How secure when mounted depends what you mount them to.
    Jut throw them over like horse and they'll flap around.
    Secure front and rear of the bag to a rack or pillion pegs - is better.
    The Mk2s have ring tabs to do this.

Or do you mean theft security?
    Well, a committed thief with a sharp knife could cut the straps off the bike.
    The actual aramid liner n the body is tough and stab proof. Even a red-hot nail had trouble pushing through, I found.

Was recently using some Kriega Duos. Handy size but the over-complex flap closure drove me nuts!
    Mag simplicity and function is the best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    waylongway and KayDubbya like this.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's nice to hear , Chris. Reading your kriega review, I thought maybe you liked them better. I have a hard time finding something as good as magadans. The luggage market is getting more and more complex. The simplicity and thoughtful design is what makes magadans a leader. I can't think of a way to make them better, other than thinner liners, but that's easy enough to resolve and only for ease of use[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
  3. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]I thought maybe you liked them better[/QUOTE]

That may have been a review earlier this year of the OS32s on a WR which I did like very much.
    If you prefer to lift the entire bag off the bike end of the day, OS32s are better than securely fixed Mags (even with a cunning Q/R system). So with Mags I generally just pulled out the liners.
    Kriega Duos (below) are more pitched at the retro street-scrambler brigade. Smaller size was good for what I needed at the time.

[​IMG]
  4. levain

Oddometer:
    I thought maybe you liked them better[/QUOTE]

That may have been a review earlier this year of the OS32s on a WR which I did like very much.
    If you prefer to lift the entire bag off the bike end of the day, OS32s are better than securely fixed Mags (even with a cunning Q/R system). So with Mags I generally just pulled out the liners.
    Kriega Duos (below) are more pitched at the retro street-scrambler brigade. Smaller size was good for what I needed at the time.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Ahh. Gotcha. Love your reviews. Thanks for putting them out there!
    Chris S likes this.
  5. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, and sorry for not being very clear. I meant security in terms of moving around when mounted, not theft security.

I’ve got the Wolfman-style racks; oval shaped with the four tabs on each corner, as well as two tabs in the middle (horizontally). I added the two middle tabs specifically in case I bought the Magadans, for a Rok strap-type thing to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never used Wolfmans but from what I know, they really cinch down well for rough riding but are a bit on the small side.
    With the bigger Mags you could strap them in a cross to the rack (they have loops just for that, or cables) but the Wolf rack is a bit small for good support.
    The Kriega OS32s (mentioned above and reviewed by me somewhere on Adv) are Mag sized and I found cinch down really effectively and easily to a plate. Plus you can add on Mag-like pockets. But gets expensive.
    BLucare likes this.
  7. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made my racks just for them ,but even w/ all that I was still not happy w/ the bags staying put on hard riding and getting hit by big rocks and such.....

[​IMG]

This is what I ended up doing to mine and after 4 slams on some ice roads this last weekend the bags never moved......:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rubber goes on the outside of the bag between the rack and bolts......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plastic holds the inside to the rack and blue peace for the bottom......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also use the liners out of my wolfman's but you can use any thin dry bag as I think the AS liners are great but just take up way too much room and weigh a ton....
    And I realize putting holes in the $400 bags makes them less water proof but I hardly do river crossings and thats w/ dry bags are for......:lol3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Very
    happy now.......:drink
    Chris S likes this.
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Nice! What wolfman liners do you use? Do they fit the magadans well?
  9. waylongway

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mt. ......Yes.....:nod

I use smaller bags too as I like all my stuff compartmentalized .....:eek7
    BLucare likes this.
  10. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job waylong. Taking good gear and improving it - it's what we all do with our adv rigs.
    BLucare and waylongway like this.
  11. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Alright, Magadan owner hive mind: how much do y'all use the exterior pockets on your Magadan panniers? What do you use them for? Were they a big deal in deciding to purchase the bags?

I've narrowed my search down to two panniers: Magadans and another, similar bag that does not have the exterior pockets. The pockets are the one and only thing holding me up. Feel free to respond however and whenever you want :thumb

Cheers. BL
  12. waylongway

Oddometer:
    Ah, ......:hmmmmm All the time.....:raabia

Tubes,chain lube,,Cook pot,water bottle,tire irons, gloves,Shall I go on....?

I have other bags but I like the AS the best......:feelgood
  13. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Waylongway :beer That's one vote for the Mags.
  14. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I agree. It seems simple but the easy access to oil, water, chain lube, whatever the heck you want to put in there is really quite handy.
    surferbum, levain and BLucare like this.
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    The two pockets were a huge selling point for me, and it's something that is missing from other bags.

2l Fuel bottle in one. Tool roll in other large pocket.
    Water bottle and rain pants in smaller pockets.
    BLucare likes this.
  16. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Rain pants?! Is the pocket bigger than it looks, or are your pants small?

And here is my thinking: The pockets are 10L of space total. I'm considering a less-expensive pannier, but would then probably spend the price difference on a separate 10L bag (for precisely what you all use the pockets for: tools, liquids, etc.) if I wanted to equal the capacity of the Mags.

Seems like an easy decision to go with the Mags, the more I think about it.
    surferbum likes this.
  17. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can just squeeze a normal 1 litre Nalgene bottle in the smaller sized pockets.
    BLucare likes this.
  18. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Plenty of space in the 4 pockets. Here's in use for 10 days of dry camping with limited fuel access.

[​IMG]
    BLucare likes this.
  19. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    Smaller pockets - 1 litre drinks bottle one side and a fuel bottle for my stove on the other.
    Larger pockets - 2 litre fuel can one side and chain lube/500ml of oil/2 pairs of extra gloves/buff/hi viz vest on the other.

That way NO liquids are in the main part of the bags and I have extremely easy access to the gloves/hi viz vest if the weather turns.

I also riveted a D-ring to the smaller pockets so that I can use an S-biner to clip on the the top of the bottles and "secure" them making sure they don't pop out on bumpier roads.

You can't go wrong with these bags :clap:clap.

[​IMG]
    ThirtyOne, DeeGee and BLucare like this.
  20. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What they all say. Big pockets = quick access and are what helps makes the Mags mega.
    BLucare likes this.