Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I roll them up long ways to be about the size of a water bottle. Or, a burrito
    BLucare likes this.
  2. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    The trigger has been pulled :clap Magadans are on the way!
    dirty_sanchez and waylongway like this.
  3. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Got some stuff in the mail today :clap

First impressions: they’re smaller in person than the photos make them look, but they’re still huge. Very solid construction, quality materials. My liner bags are grey, not yellow (not a big deal), and the liners are also thicker than I thought they’d be, which isn't a bad thing. Looking forward to test fitting them this weekend :thumb

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ThirtyOne and waylongway like this.
  4. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run different liners as the AS ones are heavy and take up alot of room...... :augie

But thats me.....:-)
    levain and BLucare like this.
  5. levain

Oddometer:
    What do you use?
  6. waylongway

Oddometer:
    The ones from my Rocky Mts, but you can use whatever.....:jjen
  7. levain

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I'm going to switch to those. Of course you can use whatever you want, but I don't want to end up with wasted space trying to fit random bags in. Apparently, these fit the magadans well..?
  8. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anybody point me to a place that sells the Rocky Mountain liners without the saddle bags, or do I need to contact Wolfman?
  9. waylongway

Oddometer:
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    I contacted wolfman about it but haven't ordered yet. Having to make a phone call is to difficult these days:lol3 they quoted $70
    Nnordsman and waylongway like this.
  11. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of buying some Magadan panniers, but will need to make the racks myself, as the sub frame on my bike is not standard. I'm wondering what the "ideal" size for the hoop that supports the bags each side might be? Looking at the various posted pictures of the size of the bags, I'm thinking 35cm x 35cm (13.78" x 13.78"), might be the right size, but I would welcome any thoughts re this?

Cheers,

Adrian
  12. BLucare

Oddometer:
    That size would probably work. Otherwise, a size slightly smaller than the bags themselves would also work. I'm using Wolfman-sized racks (11" x 7") and I think they'll work fine, but in reality are probably too small. I did some test fitting with the bags full a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.

The beauty of these bags is that they'll work with all different sorts of racks. I know many people use the Touratech racks, which look to be about 12" x 9" or so. Really, just about any rack that allows you to make full use of the various strapping loops will do the trick.
  13. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for your reply. I figured that as I have the luxury of choosing the size of the hoop, I might as well make it as optimum as possible. with this in mind, I was thinking a hoop the same size as the back, or just slightly smaller might be the go. I should probably find out more about the strapping loops.....
    Cheers,

Adrian
    BLucare likes this.
  14. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Ah, sorry mate, I might've been a bit misleading. There are two loops on the back, and they're meant for the vertical strap. See the photo below for an idea of where they are; I'd guess about 11-12 inches apart. The bottom loop just barely curls under the bottom of the bag. Sizing your hoops so that they fit between those loops is ideal, as that'll give the bag plenty of metal to rest on without being too cumbersome to attach.

[​IMG]
  15. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great picture :clap. So just to confirm, you are suggesting that the top and bottom horizontal bars of the hoop, should ideally fit just inside the two loops that are meant for the vertical straps?
    Looking at the back though, I'm wondering if there may be merit in placing the top bar of the hoop, just above the top loop, where the thick webbing crosses the bag? Any possible issues with this?

Cheers,

Adrian
  16. BLucare

Oddometer:
    I don't see any issues there, but I wouldn't make the rack so that the top bar is any higher on the bag than that. The two center velcro straps sort of "pull" in toward each other at the very top of the bag, and I'd be worried that a top bar higher than the black rivets on the bag might put some bad pressure points on the straps.

Adjusting the height of these bags is very easy with the two velcro straps, which would allow you to remedy the situation if your hoop dimensions were slightly off.
  17. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got you, thanks mate :beer.
    BLucare likes this.
  18. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following on from the posts above, can anyone confirm the exact inside measurement between the 2 loops that are intended to hold the vertical strap in place?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  19. waylongway

Oddometer:
    It's about 10" between the 2 hoops...my racks are 12 3/4 w by 10 " to top cross bar and that makes getting the 2 loop s on the ends nice and tight....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ThirtyOne and BLucare like this.
  20. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate,

Those racks are a work of art :bow, I'm sure my efforts won't be quite so polished... Many thanks for the dimensions, I built a "test' hoop in copper at 14"w x 12"h, so I'm in the ball park and I'm hearing similar sizes from other sources. Nice shed you seem to have there, wish I had a TIG and a roller :tb.

Cheers,

Adrian
    waylongway likes this.