Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've just been offered a pair of Magadan panniers (Mk1) in good condition, for a lot less than a new set will cost me. Can anyone tell me what "improvements" were made with the Mk2 panniers and whether there are any design flaws I should be aware of with the Mk1 panniers?

Cheers,

Adrian
  2. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I don't think they're all that different, to be honest. Adv Spec lists the improvements as:
    • Uprated buckles
    • Improved field serviceability should buckles be damaged, from redesigned straps.
    • New Front and Rear attachment points
    • Uprated Inner Bags
    Not a huge difference in functionality or design, I don't think. I'm sure you'd be very happy with the Mk1 version.
  3. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for all the info re my questions :beer. One last question and then I'll shut up. I understand the other differences, but any idea what the new front attachment point is?

Cheers,

Adrian
  4. BLucare

Oddometer:
    I think the Mk2 bags just have a more study attachment loop. See/click photos below; Mk2 bags have rivets instead of just being sewn on, and I think the loops on the Mk2s have kevlar in the middle for anti-theft purposes? I might be wrong about that last part, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Mk1 Magadans:

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 7.30.47 PM.png

Mk2 Magadans:

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 7.30.54 PM.png
  5. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, I can live with that. I'm off to buy some second hand Mk1 Magadans :1drink.
    BLucare likes this.
  6. BLucare

Oddometer:
    No worries, mate :thumb Safe to say you'll be happy with them.
  7. jonte

jonte n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I´m thinking of buying the AS Magadans, but I don´t want to have them on a rack. I do a lot of offroad and I think it will be to wide and heavy with a rack.
    Has any one tried them without a rack on a smaller bike do they work? I own a KTM 690.
    How small can you role them up, let´s say that I only need 20Lx2, is´t possible to role them tight to make them smaller?
    Thanks in advance
  8. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have racks on my 690 right now, so I can put mine on and take some pictures, but I don't think it'll work. They're just too big, plus it defeats the purpose of having them low and towards the COG of the bike imho.
  9. jonte

jonte n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Hoped that they would fit like these from Enduroistan
  10. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... Yeah, that might be difficult to accomplish with the Magadans. The Magadans don't have a strap for the passenger peg like the Monsoons, and they also don't have a strap going around the back of the bike. I think they really are designed for racks, to be honest.
  11. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Indeed, they are designed and specifically sold as bags that require a rack. Better the Enduristan bags, one of the Giant Loop offerings or something like the Mosko Moto R80 if you want to skip the rack. The Magadans will not work well for you.
    BLucare likes this.
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything above. The bags just aren't designed to be used without a rack. That said, the straps are probably the least of your concerns. you could probably rig something up if you were really determined. They're just big is all, and unlike something like the Siskiyou that are sorta sideways teardrop shaped, they're square. They won't follow the lines of the bike all that well.
  13. levain

Oddometer:
    Just got home and thought I'd throw them on my 690. They're just too big. The real issue, besides how you'd strap them down, is that I don't see a way to keep the right bag out of your wheel. They might be able to go a touch higher and forward, but not much, one of the things I like about magadans is how low they can go on the bike. Running them without racks is a bad idea, as expected[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
  14. jonte

jonte n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comments and pictures, appreciated!
    So now i have to decide, rack or Enduroistan....
  15. BLucare

Oddometer:
    I think you know what most people in this thread will say :thumb

There were a couple of major things that eventually turned me off to the Enduristan Monsoons, and I genuinely debated between the Magadans and Monsoons for at least a month. Although I haven't seen them in person, I really felt like the Monsoons would not attach to the bike as securely as the Magadans, and the Monsoon attachment system is overly complicated. The Monsoon strap and hook system jus doesn't need to be that way. The Magadans, on the other hand, have a simple crossed strap system. The Monsoons don't have as many compression straps, which gets to the width issue. The Monsoons are definitely wider, and even with nothing in them, the sides do not have any way of compressing. The Magadans can compress down with the straps on sides, as well as the straps on the top.

The only advantage I could see to the Monsoons is that they are a single-wall design, whereas the Magadans have a bag and liner system. That difference along, though, was not enough to sway me away from the Magadans.

By the way - what kind of bike are you putting these on? Some rack systems are much more narrow than others. Food for thought :-)
  16. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    It shows that you haven't seen them in person or used them, cause none of that is true.
  17. jonte

jonte n00b

Oddometer:
    OK, and your opinion is?

As I mentioned I have a 690 today. Will change to a 701 in the near future (same same but different).

Today I use the Motonaut + drybags (Enduroistan), it works but it tend to be a bit top heavy and as soon as you need something you need to unhook and unpack a lot before you get what you need.

[​IMG]
    BLucare likes this.
  18. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    That this is a thread about AS Magadans, not about "what rackless luggage should I use on my 690 ER" (there are threads on that topic if you search, and I contributed to them as I own a 690 as well).
    And the opinion that has something to do with this thread: it's not the Magadans you need for your usage.
  19. miniboxer

miniboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We used the AS Magadans (wife) and the Enduristan Monsoons (me) side by side on our Iceland trip on two DR350SE's. You can use them without a rack, but you have to built something to avoid contact between the bags and the rear wheel / chain. The Monsoons are softer = more handling-comfort, which is great in colder temps when the Magadans (inner and outer material) are getting very stiff = less handling comfort especially in combination with cold hands. A horizontal strap keeps both systems in place (I added loops to my "wheel-distance-keeper" to run the straps through). The outer pockets of the Magadans are great for chain lube, fuel bottle, petrol stove etc..
    jonte and BLucare like this.
  20. saintego

saintego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you post some pics for magadans without rack?