Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    See below:

2. saintego

saintego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mean miniboxer
  3. MoseFitch

MoseFitch Chicken Rancher Supporter

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

4. miniboxer

miniboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-3-9_17-23-46.jpeg Here you can see the side panel supporting structure with loops for the horizontal strap, that keeps the monsoons or magadans away from the rear wheel. When you something like this, just hang your bags on the bike in your prefered travel position (solo = more forward / two up = more to the rear end), to see, where the distance keeper has to be. Don't get wider than you have to and you will get a slim pack mule.
  5. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got some secondhand Magadan panniers, but missed the "huge" outside pockets I had on my old panniers. So looking through my bag box I found that the Mosko Moto, Molle 4L storage pouch fits great over the smaller pockets. If you unpick the doubled over strap ends of the straps that secure the contents of the smaller pocket, you can then unthread them from the clip and thread them through the back of the Mosko Moto molle straps. Thread them back through the clip and cinch them down and they fit perfectly! One caution though.... Although they say they're a 4 litre pouch, they will only hold 2 x 1 litre fuel/water bottles, or in my case a heavy duty tube, with space to spare. Still, a lot bigger and the stripes even line up. Shh, don't tell Mosko Moto.... A picture or two:

My old panniers, somewhat worse for wear, but notice the huge side pockets...
    P3130633.JPG
    Mosko Moto 4l Pouch:
    [​IMG]

P3130651.JPG

Bingo, you can never have too many "large" pockets....

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

6. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. BLucare

Oddometer:
    This thread has been to quiet for too long. Let's change that :thumb

Pictured below are the current Magadans on my 2008 Husky TE610. Each bag, packed as described, weighs around 12-14 lbs, depending on exactly how I choose to load/organize them. I have an Enduristan duffel that will also go on the rack, which weighs about 7-10 pounds. Finally, the Enduristan Base Pack 6.5 goes at the back of the seat, but in front of the duffel. Packed for, conceivably, as long as I want to ride within limits of food and water, all of the luggage on the bike weighs about 35-45 lbs, maybe a bit more with some unforeseen additions. The higher end of that spectrum could include, for example, 2L of oil in the outer pockets, or more clothing for a colder climate.

Contents are as follows:
    • Right bag: As you can see from the photos, the right bag is less full than the left one. The right bag is only about 60% full, as a conservative estimate. I think of it as my knick-knack/emergency space, should I need it, or space for food that could be packed for extended off-grid living. Contents are:
      • Spares and other maintenance items in a clear Plano box, roughly 9 x 12 x 3; knock off Helinox camp chair; inflatable sleeping pad; spare clutch cable and heavy-duty zip ties; camp utensils; MSR 6L Dromedary (empty); Aeropress coffee maker
    • Left bag: Less items in the left bag, but this one holds the bulky stuff. I included the tent capacity and sleeping bag rating because those details relate, at least somewhat, to the size of the items. This bag is probably 75-80% full. There'e some space left, but not a whole lot. Contents are:
      • Eureka Midori 2-person tent; 45-degree sleeping bag; lightweight skillet and saucepan; camp stove and fuel; ground cloth
    • Enduristan Tornado 2M Duffel (not pictured): clothes, shoes, tent poles, electronics case
    • Enduristan Base Pack 6.5 (not pictured): Tool roll, tire irons, spare front and rear tube, waterproof outer jacket
    I included photos of how I secure the bags to my racks, although that's probably not very helpful. I use Rok Straps, but to each their own. If anyone has any questions, or notices an oversight on my part, fire away :thumb

IMG_20180712_165234.jpg

IMG_20180712_165239.jpg

IMG_20180712_165249.jpg

IMG_20180712_171651.jpg

[​IMG]
    KayDubbya, Chris S, 9Realms and 2 others like this.
  8. waylongway

Oddometer:
    Looks Great....! Love the bike ...! Bags need some dirt on them....:evil

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BLucare likes this.
  9. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion these pannier bags have been blow out the water by Lomo panniers. At least on price.... check them out.
  10. waylongway

Oddometer:

:nono....Missing 4 pockets....:scratch Bags can't be filled to the top and still be closed ....:dunno rubber will not hold up on a real pavement low side and canot be sew back up....:hack It's just a drybag that won't stay open....:becca

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed with all above but what's the significance of the wolfman bags in the magadan thread:scratch
    waylongway likes this.
  12. waylongway

Oddometer:
    Road tested....:deal The AS bags are 10 times thicker than my Wolfmans...:gdog

[​IMG]
    levain and BLucare like this.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny. I looked up those lomo bags. I thought I had the wrong bags since there's no way the ones above could be compared.
    BLucare likes this.
  14. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Right, so we can conclude the Lomo bags are cheaper because they need to be cheaper. I don't see anything particularly unique or proprietary happening there.

NEXT.
    waylongway likes this.
  15. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've held off on using my Magadans on this bike because of the curved side rack.

Anyone come up with a creative solution for mounting the bag securely with this shape rack?

20180716_172911.jpg 20180716_172927.jpg
  16. ndaghvos

ndaghvos n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anybody tried the magadans with the Giant Loop Pannier mounts? So that you can quiickly disconnect and connect them.
  17. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used them with Happy Trails, Touratech, and Wolfman Racks with great success . You just need something to strap to and hold them in place.
  18. Fern-

Fern- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The lomos are really thin, the tarp fabric feels thinner than the imitated ortlieb panniers, like the Aldi Crane bags, and both the ortliebs and lomos would never in a month of sundays live up to what i've put my magadans through, the inner bags alone are thicker than the lomo panniers. My magadans have hit the deck hundreds of times, been down the road several times, been out in deserts, under high uv in NZ for 2 years, and still wash up like new. My ortliebs have had a quarter of the use of the magadans and are now retired..
  19. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a package from the U.K. today. Very sturdy bags. So far I’m impressed, can’t wait to mount them up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    waylongway and BLucare like this.
  20. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club :thumb you'll like it here.

Oh, and nice book collection.
    Dread likes this.