Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't wanna be that guy, but it reminds me of the big red SALE that they had on the magadans for years. When I asked about this sale, it was actually a 10% (or something like that) discount on accessories if you bought the bags. Not exactly a sale, and bordering on sleezy imho.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  2. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_2392.jpg Has anyone had the rivets fail on their Magadan panniers? I have one rivet that looks like it was installed incorrectly and the head popped off it leaving a sharp burr that actually cut my elbow when I was carrying it into the house. Here is a pic of it. Anyone know where IMG_2391.jpg I can get a rivet like it?
  3. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pan head pop rivet with a washer on the back....
  4. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome20 is no longer valid!

:(

Anyone has used another discount code?
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about selling yours to me?
  7. Aircooled6racer

Oddometer:
    I fixed the bad rivet on my bag by fixing the original cap and restaking it. I really like these panniers the more I use them. I use Pro Packing Cubes to put my clothes in, inside the Magadans. This setup works very well for me.
    waylongway likes this.
  8. waylongway

Oddometer:
  9. Aircooled6racer

Oddometer:
    One advantage with the packing cubes is that the piece of clothing you want is never at the bottom of the bag like roll top bags tend to do for me. I can also leave the Magadans on the bike and just take the packing cube/cubes I need into the tent. I use a Giant Loop Tillamook dry bag for my tent, sleeping bag, mattress, chair etc. The other side Magadan carries my food and cooking stuff as well as my hiking or camp shoes. I do carry small roll top dry bags for when my tent gets wet so my other gear does not get wet. Making a packing journal helps you decide what works for you and what you need and don't need on your trips. The Magadans have been 100% waterproof for me.
  10. Turps

Turps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don’t they come with a goretex inner bag?
  11. waylongway

Oddometer:
    Yes, But they weigh as much as the bags them self....:lol3 And they take up a lot of room...If Iam really worried about it I use my wolfman liners...
    BLucare and Turps like this.
  12. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    A few folks in here have mentioned using the Wolfman Rocky Mountain liners instead of the liners that come with the Magadans. They're about the same size, and lighter. I don't mind the liners that came with the Mags, personally, and I pack light enough that I'm not bothered by the weight.

As far as packing cubes, I'm a BIG believer in those, on and off the bike. My roll-top duffel holds all of my clothing items in packing cubes (and shoes, toiletries, laptop, electronics pouch, etc.). Basically, the necessities and expensive stuff is all in the duffel, so I can easily take it off and into a tent/hotel room/cabin/wherever. I got that idea from @LukasM. There are a lot of instances where the tent, cooking kit, tools/spare parts, and other "bike stuff" is not necessary in an overnight situation. That stuff all stays sealed up in the Magadans on the bike. The duffel is designed as a manageable piece of luggage for the bike, but also, just as a personal bag. To each their own, of course, but I've found this system works well over many miles.
    F650Dakar_Norway and waylongway like this.
  13. waylongway

Oddometer:
  14. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i modified my magadans by adding 10 d-rings to each bag: six d-rings on the front and two on each side. this facilitates cinching, with slip-lock straps, to the pannier rack. see photos.

very pleased with magadans. i considered mosko and kriega bags and neither now appeal. magadans are very tough bags, waterproof and functional. they were unscathed after a pretty hard spill that would have probably damaged my hard bags.

20200522_153640(1).jpg 20200524_120027.jpg
    Turps, waylongway and BLucare like this.