Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. Paratrout

Paratrout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are my Magadans on my KLR. I'm using Happy Trails SL racks to support them. They look and work really great. Thanks Walter for the awesome design!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Dotbond

Dotbond Africa, Africa

Oddometer:

I know this is an old post, but having the TT racks myself on my 690, the racks are not big enough. They need to be about 100mm deeper/lower so they brace a bigger area of the bag. Going to get my TT racks modified to try out. Even the TT racks are too far back, ideally they need to come forward 100mm - 150mm as well. The bag is to far behind the rear wheel. But the racks are strong. Being made of S/S, getting them repaired if need in the back blocks may be difficult.
    You would need to get some racks made to suit.
  3. fhammond

fhammond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have experience with the Magadan's and KTM's "Adventure Suitcase Carrier System?".

I'm thinking about getting the Magadan's for an 1190 R and I assume KTM's rack will work ok but it'd be nice to hear from someone who uses that rack (on an 1190, 990, or 950).
  4. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Magadan Bags on the KTM Racks for the Gobi Side Cases.
    Works perfect!

[​IMG]
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  5. fhammond

Oddometer:
    Interesting: the bags seem a long way back on the bike. Is that on purpose or is it what the rack forces?
  6. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's where the rack is. The angle of the picture may not show it but I believe it is almost centered over the rear axle.
  7. fhammond

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. Thanks!
  8. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I edited the above post!
  9. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
  10. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    not yet. We haven't had the photographer in yet to shoot them.

The buckles look the same but are better. Theres been a very subtle change to the inner bags.
    The buckles at the top were stitched to the webbing so if they got damaged they were a bugger to fix, so we changed that and added ladder buckles to the straps, so they could be swapped out (we had a few sets with damaged buckles so wanted to get that issue nailed)
    There is a webbing strap stitched across the lower inside edge of the bags with a D-ring on either end. This can be used to fix bags to rack and stop forward and rear movement, as suggested by Chris Scott (but as its a continuous strap, the bags wont rip with force)

Oh, we swapped to just an 'AS' logo, not 'ASadventureSPEC'

So evolution not revolution, minor updates and refinements. We're also offering new cable locks we have been using with good results
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about a sale on leftover MK1's:wink:
  13. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response! Still on fence.....
  14. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just had my Magadan 2 bags arrive today. They look great. I can't comment on the changes as I never saw a pair of MK1 in person.

I haven't mounted them as I haven't decided on which racks to use. Wolfman hoops seem too small and that they might not offer enough overall support for the bag. SW Motech perhaps. I really like Chris's idea of the ledge at the bottom...nothing too big, just enough to take a bit of the stress off the bag straps. :nod
  15. casperghst42

casperghst42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a possible customer of these, I would like to say that the size of the logo is way way too large. We go to places where you don't need to show off what you have, and the size of the 'AS' is a "bit" too large.

Casper
  16. casperghst42

casperghst42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another comment; the innerbags, why no do as Krigar use a light material like yellow or white for the innerbags - would make it easier to find see things.

Casper
  17. Tirpse

Tirpse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am most likely purchasing thse bags to test them out in my coming trips and i really like reading developments done to these.

From scuba diving i know plastic quick realease buckles no matter how top quality they are tend to break down and normally in places and moment where you dont want them to break down. So replacement option is definately good.

As i followed Colebach first adventures with prototypes of this bag and Mk1 i always wondered why this webbing strap was not from the start. I have used both Wolfman expedition dry saddle bags and Giantloop Great Basin in Central Asia travels and in Wolfmans expedition dry bags i liked their attachment system. It really secured bag to frame and no exra straps were needed to hold bag in place.

Looks good.
  18. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    Immensely.
  19. ScottyD

ScottyD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was dead keen on a set of Magadans, but unfortunately, due to unforeseen financial 'issues', I've had to scale my grand plans back a wee bit.

Since I've also now found myself in a position whereby I urgently need to set up at least a bit of a basic luggage system on my 660Z Tenere (long story :1drink), I have just pulled the trigger on a set of Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebags fro Revzilla.

They really look the goods, and seem to be a really practical option. So much cheaper than any frame-mount avenues out there too. I think I'll still have to build up my capacity over time with extra dry bag(s) & tank bag, but hopefully this will push me in a direction of more 'spartan' touring requirements/equipment.

I'll keep you posted if you're curious. :freaky
  20. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the correct way to route the "over the seat" straps? Through these two sets of loops that are located about 1-2” above where the straps are anchored to each pannier? That is how I did it here in the photos below, and would like to see what is recommended. I can see a stitch or two on these loops pulling, which prompted me to ask.

Mounted on a 2014 690 Enduro with Rally Raid pannier racks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]