Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. casperghst42

casperghst42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was having the same question, and I have them on an xChallange with the xRack which they are supposed to have been designed around.
  2. mortalsphere

mortalsphere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I've finally decided on luggage, after a long period of research between hard, soft, what type, etc. The Magadans seem perfect. I have a 2014 Super Tenere ES, and I am looking for a good rack system so I can mount these bags. I know that Touratech's rack won't fit the '14 ES... Can anyone recommend a good rack system for the Magadans that will fit the '14 ES? Thanks to anyone who is willing to help!
  3. Wanted

Wanted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a set of Magadans for the last 10 months, they are not as slash proof as they seem. First ride with them opened a large gash on the bottom of one of the bags (400km), Adventure Spec didn't want to know. Anybody know if you can stitch this material together again? Other than that, decent bags.
  4. mortalsphere

mortalsphere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought the Magadans and just got to mount them (took forever to decide on a rack). Before I even mounted them, though, I looked them over and found several pin holes on the top of both bags, and 1 or 2 tiny ones on the dry bags. For being absolutely brand new, this is a little disappointing. Aside from these defects, the bags seem solid and well-made. Just a manufacturer mistake?

Attached Files:

5. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the over the seat straps interfere with the fuel fill on a 690 by chance?

Dirty
  6. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run mine on my 2015 690 with RR racks, and it does not. The rear most strap is on the back few inches of the seat. I did a lot of research to ensure I would never cover the gas cap on this bike with my luggage.

You can kind of see it here if you look closely. This is all my camping gear and tools to ride multiple nights, rough camping.
    [​IMG]
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  7. LethPhaos

LethPhaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what material are they made from? I took them on a mostly pavement trip and I got too excited in the bends, the bags got to scrape over the asphalt and now I need to stitch in new panels to repair the corners :D
    there's two layers, outer black layer is some sort of cordura?
    inner layer is white-ish, what's that?
  8. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo Isaac.

Are the front lower parts of each bag tied or somehow secured to the rack?

What about the back of the bags-do they flop around? I'm sure that I'm not the only fellow 690 owner who would really like to see how you have those bags affixed to the RR Racks.

Dirty
  9. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Used the bags for 3 months in the British Isles, totally waterproof. The times I slid the bike around on them didn't cause any damage, but I had some 500 denier cloth packed in case I beat them up a bit, I,m usually rough on gear...good design.
    I fabricated the racks with small loops on the back to run the Pacsafe cable lock through them so the bags couldn't be shifted by wanna be thieves and used Rok straps horizontally, left the bags on all the time and just pulled out the liners if I had to

[​IMG]
  10. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don;t have a good photo, but I use a 1" webbing with cam lock buckle to go around the bag from top to bottom, securing it against the rack. Then I use a 1" Rok strap around the bag, front to back, to keep it from sliding forwards and backwards. This is preferred because if you go down hard or often off road, you will not rip attachment points off the bag and they can move as needed, and then most likely only a simple 1" strap will need replacing.

The new version of the bags have some attachment loops built in, which is nice in the sense that you have more options.
  11. mortalsphere

mortalsphere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The white-ish layer is a kevlar-like material, I believe they call it Twaron.
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you realistically load the inner liner up, and slide into the bag, or is that a struggle?
  13. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what I've been doing last few nights and will be doing for the next month in Morocco. Works fine with a bit of giggling and saves dragging grubby bags inside.

Chris
  14. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So one of my big pet peeves with the Magadan bags is the super thick straps that run over the seat on my 690 Enduro. These are thicker than normal, as there are 3 robust straps that are 1-7/8” wide. There are 2 velcro interfaces between these two straps, which is why they are so thick. Everyone sits a little bit differently on their bike, but for me, the position of the forward strap is exactly where I prefer sitting on long rides. I don’t have much room to move the bag/strap fore or aft, and do not want to rely on a pad to sit on to mask the thickness. The straps will not pass under the seat either. After thinking about some options and brainstorming, my Dad had the following bright idea: remove the Velcro on the forward strap, and replace it with a thinner strap using a cam buckle/slider. This sounds complicated but here are the steps:
    1. On the forward “over the seat” strap of the Magadan, carefully cut the stitching to completely remove all 3 strips of Velcro.
    2. Knowing that the right bag has 1 strap, and the left bag has 2 straps, you will need to set 1 of the 2 left straps aside (cut it off, or bundle up and zip tie for this trial fit).
    3. Using 2” tubular webbing I bought from a climbing store, this will now become the new “over the seat” strap. Use a cam buckle/slider on each side, as this will sit about 1-2” from the edge of each side of the seat.
    4. Now take the Velcro-less straps from each Magadan bag, and run this through each cam buckle/slider, and double it back to prevent slipping.

In the end you can trim down the now Velcro-less straps to a shorter, more manageable length. But in the mean time, the only thing you would need to do to return the bags to factory condition is have someone re-sew on the Velcro strips. Low risk to try before finalizing.

Here is a concept I laid out via “Microsoft Paint Photoshop”. I will not need to do anything to the rear strap, as it is located on the very tail edge of the seat. The 2” webbing is much more comfortable to sit on as it is thin.

Note in this photo, the right strap is actually a 1.5” flat nylon strap…it is shown to “represent” the Magadan 1-7/8” strap that would actually be used.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be experimenting in the next month or so and will report back on my findings.

EDIT (11-25-14):
    I cut the velcro off of one of the over the seat straps, by carefully cutting the stitching (it goes fast). The 2" tubular webbing is placed over the seat, as a single pass through the slide adjuster. The one strap from the Magadan is passed through and double backed. It seems like it will hold well, there is no slipping when I pull HARD with my hands. I have yet to do a final test of the bags in their riding position, but wanted to share the preliminary results. In the end, this slide adjuster will end up around 1-2" away from the edge of the seat. I'll post up pics of the final setup in a few weeks.

[​IMG]
  15. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
  16. levain

Oddometer:
    Got my Magadans recently. These are really nice bags. they just seem so well thought out. I have Wolfman racks on both of my bikes, which are really nice racks, but the I'd like it if the Tiger ones were a little more centered. Anyway, one thing I love about Wolfman bags is the mounting system. I figured I could adapt it somewhat to the Magadans, and it looks to be almost 100% successful.

The one thing I don't like about the horizontal strap location on the magadans is when removing from the bike. Seems like a lot of extra work to thread the strap through if one was to remove the bags daily.

I took some of the little loop-de-loop things that Wolfman uses and my wife sewed them onto some straps. Now, I can thread the strap through the bags once and they easily clip/unclip just like Wolfmans:clap The straps can now live on the bags, but still allow the bags to be removed in seconds. Now that I know it'll work, I'll take the straps to a cobbler to be sewed with some heavy duty thread.

The straps were from my Kriega backpack and hydration packs. These were removed the day those arrived and never used. They're the perfect length, with nice heavy duty clips and strap keepers.

Some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the bag off the bike. The straps will never need to be removed. Once they're assembled in a more bulletproof manner, they'll never come off the bags. They sit snug in the bags enough that they could never work their way off on their own. I think it'll be a nice setup.
    [​IMG]
  17. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another evolution to my modification proposed a few posts up is shown here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is much more comfortable to sit on. Shown installed on a KTM 690 with RR racks.

Strap bought at a local climbing/outdoor store, sold as 2" tubular webbing.
    Metal slides bought at strapworks.com (cheap and very reasonable shipping...you can buy a few different options shipped for under $10).

My friend sew the metal slides on, but you could also double back the new 2" webbing on the underside of the metal slide as well.

Metal is stronger, but this particular metal slide with large radius curves could be prone to slipping in the future (unsure, not likely but still possible). Plastic ones have more texture and a more defined edge to prevent this.
  18. Renegade_Azzy

Renegade_Azzy Kamen Rider

Oddometer:

In the time since, have you had any resolution, further issues or solutions?

:ear
  19. levain

Oddometer:
    What are these d rings for? Can't figure out a way to use them, so don't, but it made me wonder...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To attach the bag to a rack and/or pillion peg and stop it flapping and sliding around, similar to levain's post above and pic below.
    Using a horizontal or vertical wrap-around strap restricts access/is another thing to undo.
    D-ring doesn't but still secures bag in place on the highway (off-road wrap-arounds a better idea).
    Also, easier to slide out the inner bag to take inside/to camp, leaving outers on the bike.

P1120146.jpg