Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aha. Thanks. That would be good esp. For removing inner bags. I'll post back with my solution

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
  2. levain

Oddometer:
    Hmm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it. Definitely makes pulling inner bags out 100% easier. There's no way to tighten them down to not move at all but the horizontal strap solves that. I leave for 3 weeks soon. I'll give this a try.

I used these. 6" length is perfect. They're sort of an industrial twist tie you can reuse a million times. Not sure if you can get these in the UK. It's a nice, simple, cheap solution. Easy to pack an extra 2 or 10 if they get lost.

[​IMG]

3. surferbum

surferbum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    I was an advocate of GearTies but had one just bust (the wire inside broke along with the plastic casing). Am not as big an advocate now. Am looking for a more sturdy approach now.
  4. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    redid my racks out of lighter 1/2" sq tubing, designed to use both my happy trails panniers and the magadans, and reduce weight when not using the aluminum boxes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can bolt the Happy Trails on using the duplicate of their mounting 'bracket' thing I fabricated. would've liked to slide it a little forward
    but have 2 gas caps to deal with. Total cost was about $50,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. levain

Oddometer:
    My last trip, I broke one of the buckles I used for the horizontal straps. The concept is sound with the little Wolfgang tab things, but the buckle needed some work.

I found this amazing cam lock with 6' strap and modified it. Much better and damn near bulletproof

Old
    [​IMG]

New

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  6. 250Keith

250Keith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many liters per bag? and what rack for a DR 650? Thanks!!!!!!
  7. levain

Oddometer:
    Love these bags. Just got back from about 3 weeks and they were stellar with a few minor issues.
    One of the plastic bits broke. Don't even know how, but all I did was pull on the straps daily. No other abuse at all. I'll replace with stainless for the next trip.

[​IMG]

I went down about 25mph on gravel. The right bag took the brunt. No damage noticed , until I got home and removed the bags from the bike.

[​IMG]

That piece of fabric with d rings is sewn on the outside of the bag, so no actual damage done to the bags themselves. It seems like a bit of an afterthought and not nearly as strong as it probably should be. If it ripped off with my minor grtoff it's not going to hold up to anything too serious.
  8. wingnut11

wingnut11 generally strange

Oddometer:
    You're right, it was an afterthought. They are not on the first versions of the bag that Colebatch designed. They were added to the second version at the request of Chris Scott (of the Adventure motorcycling handbook fame) and others. If I end up upgrading to version 2 I'm not sure I'd use those, I haven't felt like they were missing from version 1.
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    I actually like the feature, but won't use it in the future. I'm glad it's an afterthought and attached the way it is, otherwise more damage to the bag could've happened. However, I don't know if I'll use it in the future just in case. The plastic buckle thing is just cheap junk. Hopefully, they upgrade it in the future. It broke under no more abuse than me simply snuggling it up every morning.
  10. wingnut11

Oddometer:
    Which strap is that broken part on? I don't think I've seen that plastic piece on mine.
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    It's on one of the main straps that close the bag.

Don't take my assessment of the bags negatively. I really like them, but it seems like they may have gone cheap in a few places. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the d ring thing was meant to do exactly what it did, and break away, rather than rip the main bag.
  12. wingnut11

Oddometer:
    I'm just poking around a bit and seeing what exactly is different between the first version and the second. I'll need new ones eventually, My version 1 have held up well for a couple years now, except for one time I mounted them too low and forward. This plus some spirited street cornering has worn a little hole in one corner. They still function just as they should, and if I had to pick again from what's on the market today I'd make the same choice. Although I think that the mosko equivalent size would be a close second.
  13. levain

Oddometer:
    New magadans just received for Christmas come with bright yellow liners! I haven't loaded them up yet, but I sure hope they made them just a tiny touch smaller to ease loading and unloading.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dragos, DYNOBOB and F650Dakar_Norway like this.
  14. wingnut11

Oddometer:
    That's a nice upgrade from the originals. It should make it easier to find stuff in the bags. I would like it if they had some little handles to pull those two pieces of velcro apart to get into the liner.
  15. Crashes

Crashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if these saddlebags have a company here in the USA that sells them? I hate trying to buy something overseas and ship it here to the USA. I have right now the loop great basin which is a great bag but it sits kind of high on the bike (DRZ400s) that is already top heavy anyway.
  16. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ordering straight from ADV Spec takes about 2 days to ship via DHL. Surprisingly fast and painless.
  17. Crashes

Crashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks isaac004
  18. jackrabbit56

jackrabbit56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Think these will work on a wr250?
    Cheers
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  19. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a good rack they will! There's a cool build thread on a wr250r by a guy called motomaverick or something like that. Check it out
  20. levain

Oddometer:
    I can put them on my wrr this weekend and take some pictures if you want