Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Fern-, May 17, 2012.

1. Paratrout

Paratrout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tend to view motorcycle travel a lot like backpacking. The lighter you can comfortably go the better. So yes I do pack pretty light and tend to bring only what I think I'll need or use. This typically means one set of casual clothes, basic tools and a superlight one person tent. My cookset is an msr stove and pot, with the stove fitting inside the pot etc. But as Nickhob shows, you can get a lot of stuff in these bags.
  2. Riel

Riel Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Have enjoyed reading through this thread

I am looking to pull the trigger on a set of Magadans or a set of Mosko80's.

Is anyone, that has owned both, willing to share their thoughts what aspects made them choose one over the other?

I am looking to take the bike on a multi week/month trip.
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might be the only person on earth dumb enough to have loved my magadans, sold them to try the Mosko R80, only to return the R80 and purchase my second set of magadans. I wanted to go rackless. Still do, actually, but the rackless bags I've seen have been too much of a compromise for what is really important to me. The R80 bags are really well built. Frankly, they're overbuilt, but not in a good way imho. They're clunky and so fiddly. I counted 10 straps I would've cut off. There are straps for straps, and most of them are way longer than they'd ever need to be, forcing you to lose the little velcro keeper things. I love the concept of the beavertail. That is super cool. These are well built, but they just didn't work for me. Way too overly complex.

Magadans sit low on the bike. R80 sits high, and there is a lot of junk (that big top bag/beavertail) in your back, which made me nutty. Magadans allow full use of your seat, esp if you put the forward strap under the seat. What I love about them is their simplicity. They're basically a big roll top bag with a couple pockets on the sides that are perfectly sized. The liners are burly. They're probably the only thing I'd change since they're so tough that makes them clunky and they take up more space than needed, but like the rest of the bags, they're designed to be a no compromise item. The other problem with the liners is they don't fit precisely. I'd love to see them redesign the liner to actually fit just smaller than the bag. They're almost impossible to slide into the magadan when full. I think that is more due to the imprecise fit of the liner itself.

I see the Magadans as a no compromise tool. The R80 is more of a fashion item. It's burly and built for abuse, but its just too high maintenance. Too complex. Too many parts to fail.

The one and only downside to the Magadans is the need for a rack, and the liners. That, and since they are so well built, with strong materials, they're pretty heavy for what they are. In the end, I still think about other luggage options, but I don't think I'll find something that ticks as many boxes as Magadans do.
    Watercat and Riel like this.
  4. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    How are you guys securing your Magadans to the rack?

I've got myself 10m of webbing and have attached (sewn) a buckle front and rear. The idea is that the bags will go on, I'll clip the buckle, behind the pannier rack, at the rear of the the bag, and then use the buckle that's on the front to cinch it tight.

I've also got some re-usuable, extra strong, twistie type, cableties - one for each of the rings that are on the bottom corner of each pannier. Probably overkill but rather safe than sorry.

The vertical cinch is a lot easier (I hope - although I've not tried it yet) as there's no need to pass the webbing through anything - just drop it (one half) down behind the rack and pull it around to the other half of the buckle. This one might not even be necessary.
  5. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use 2 of these https://touratech-usa.com/Store/ROK-Straps-All-Purpose-36-inch-pair
    per bag (horizontal/vertical), though I use 30 inch ones which work perfectly (I bought mine from Touratech Switzerland). They basically stay on the bags permanently. Hook them on to my pannier racks and nothing moves. Super quick to hook on and off. This way I am not dicking around threading straps and webbing through the front and rear pockets etc..

[​IMG]
    rockydog, Riel and catweasel67 like this.
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use these Gear ties on the Drings on the bags to secure the corners to my rack. then Green Chile Mondo straps on the vertical. For a couple trips, I used Rok straps on the horizontal mounting location, but then I got these green chile straps, They won't thread through the bags, so I tried them vertically. These straps are so damn bad ass that you don't need anything else, and they fully support the bags against the rack.

The gear ties are really only to help centralize the bags on the rack. Also, they help when I try to fight the inners in/out of the bags.
    Riel and catweasel67 like this.
  7. Riel

Riel Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to share to such detail Levain. :super

I agree the beavertail is the one feature I like the most on the M80s and yet the simplicity of the Magadans serves in its own way..

Thanks again, you've helped me make my decision.
  8. kurvenkrycher

kurvenkrycher sans title

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for your photos, even though these lead me to hijacking this threat for a moment. But first I really dig the idea of how you secured the sigg bottle with those clamps. I clearly see myself copying that.

As for the Rokstraps: Do you see any benefit of the ones you use compared to the more traditional rok straps, like these:*

[​IMG]

As those are, what I was originally thinking of for the horiontal fixing, while one of those:

https://www.amazon.com/Kanulock-Loc...=UTF8&qid=1472205832&sr=8-1&keywords=kanulock
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/Thule-831-Lo...=UTF8&qid=1472205832&sr=8-2&keywords=kanulock

for the vertical tie down. But maybe someone with more experience can give an argument, while this is an unpractical idea? Like dirt may render the locks unusable?
    Or using a dedicated pacsafe cable and only when needed is is less hassle to open the bags for every day business when not away?
    Or the plastic clips of above rokstraps have proven to not be strong enough for this use?

Back to the promised hijack. For quite some time I was looking for a camping chair that is not too long (>50cm or 1,6 feet) when packed. Thanks to your gearphotos in the link I've learned about Helinox. Another desperate buck gone, I'am afraid. Off topic, but I wanted to thank you for that.

Secondly, may I ask, what bags you use have attached to your crash bars?

Viewing motorcycling like backpacking is the way I once started, too. But as I am geeting older, I can see myself growing painfully soft on a daily base. Next to the natural forgetfulness, that I still use only half the stuff I took.
    I guess, I am simply lacking enough holiday to go out camping regularily. So basically my boss is really to blame. Of course.

Just one thing is for sure: I cannot live without a hooded sweater and those take up an awful lot of space. Which, as I've learned, is clearly there with the Magadans. And again, thanks to all for clearing that up.

___
    *Edit: One advantage is, that they remain with the bags. Somehow I missed this rather strong argument during my frst read. Probably because I have been distracted by the crash bar bags.
    Riel likes this.
  9. Jswallow

Jswallow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg Update with the Magadans and Steel core's locks. And it is nice to see more using then..... And more so... Posting it.
  10. Jswallow

Jswallow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Riel and Nickhob like this.
  11. Jswallow

Jswallow Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. kurvenkrycher

kurvenkrycher sans title

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for the pics! As you may have noticed, I've asked about those generally in another thread, abeit more in comparisson to Kanulock and (not really any more) Thule as steelcore is not avaiable on this side of the pond. But those seem to have the best locks.

Just wondering: What lenght are you using? 4.5 or 6 feet?

Edit: I've just read, you've adapted the length. Do you know, how long they are now?
  13. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    i bought some magadans little over 3 years ago, holding up great. tough suckers. I thought i forgot my pad safe cable locks last trip to ireland and made some using, 1/4' cable, wire crimp sleeves and heat shrink tubing. put a loop in one end, the other i ran 2 lengths of cable ,about a foot or so, parallel to each other held with crimp sleeves every 4 inches so I had some room for adjustment. used small padlocks, cheap alternative. It turns out after i made these i had cleverly packed my pac safe stuff in my cook kit...I'd post a pic but i left them over there with the bike
  14. Crashes

Crashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a DRZ 400 and like other bikes mine has a light weight sub frame that when adding a rack system breaks the welds. Been there and tried that so I went to the Giant Loop and the R80 looks the same as the loop. Yes they are top heavy and yes you loose the back end of your seat. But you don't have the extra weight of the rack on top of the weight of the bags. I have used the Loop on my street legal dirt bikes (KTM 300exc, KTM 350exc) also to hit the hard back country single tracks and very bad roads with great success. If I had a DR 650 or some other bike with a good sub frame that can take the extra weight then I would go with the frame and bags route.
  15. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Heya guys,

I've got a line on a suppler of plastic shrouded steel cable, customisable length with loops either end and variable thickness - 2, 4, 6mm -

How long would you recommend the main pannier cable be? 1.5m?

Whilst I'm here, I was also gonna get a 5.m stretch of 2m for a helmet lock.

And - bearing in mind I'm in Europe - would this solution be of interest to anyone?
  16. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the exact same lifecycle as you. Recently went on the NMBDR and I kid you not every morning I was the last guy on my bike because of a vortex of snapping and cinching what seemed like endless straps on the R80, beaver tails, rolling up excess straps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    levain and grindstone like this.
  17. Barakaiki

Oddometer:
    This post sealed the deal for me. Ordering these right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nickhob likes this.
  18. grindstone

grindstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered mine :-)
    levain likes this.
  19. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry @kurvenkrycher , I'm only 5 months late with a reply.....
    The crashbar bags are homemade using 1000 denier cordura. Basically just traced out the "hoop" of the crashbar and then sewed them up adding a zip and velcro loops to attach on the the bars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thread hijack over :D
  20. Barakaiki

Oddometer:
    Just ordered my bags and the Steel Core Straps! What BMW are you using and do you have a pic you could pm me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk