1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! @davidlomax, that post succinctly hints at the scope and complexity of what you've taken on here. Thanks for doing so ( and eventually adding to my ever more crowded riding gear closet.)

A suggestion if I may for individuals' fitting concerns : make mock ups of tyvek or paper. (Similar to disposable painter's coveralls). Cheap, small and cheap to mail, you would send several sizes of these to a potential buyer instead of the real garment. Once ideal fit is chosen, you ship the real article. The buying process would be slowed but you'd only need to send the expensive shipment once, without returns and concommitent border grief.

My two cents worth.
    KLEINE and ScooterNoMore like this.
  2. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lower arms on the Atacama jacket is definitely to tight with any armor under, even without having Popeye arms. Otherwise very nice jacket !

ScooterNoMore likes this.
  3. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Dave. It sure looks like great gear. I caught a new video yesterday on MADtv, the Australian guy. He really liked the gear.

I’ve been wearing a full
    Rukka suit for 4 years now. It’s great kit but as technology has moved forward I think it’s time I/we can move to lighter and more breathable gear that’s just as protective.

I have a plan this summer to get a Knox armour jacket and pants, their armoured base layer. Then this fall or winter I think your Linesman jacket and Atacama Race pants will be the ‘silver bullet’ for me.

Living in Western Canada our weather can vary quite a bit hourly. Showers do pop up from time to time, but if it’s wet in the forecast then it’s a rain gear day! Our daily temp can also start at below freezing to the upper 20’s in s day, so the layering is the key for me!!

All the best.

Ken
    CANADA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  4. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We hear you there! The UK can be crazy. Over a single day we can see a sunny 15 degrees C (60 degrees F) followed by torrential rain and then a bit of hail and snow here in the UK during Spring/Autumn. Flexibility is key for us.

Dave
  5. Revontulet

Revontulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday evening I returned from a two week trip through Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, and Austria. I covered about 3500km in various conditions, ranging from heavy weather (rain, storm and 10°C/50°F) to hot and humid days with temps above 30C/86F. I was riding on a wilde mixture of fast gravel tracks and muddy single trails, as well as various high- and byways. So pretty much all conditions an adv rider would expect to face throughout the season.

AS Gear: Mongolia Trail Jacket, Baltic Hybrid Jacket, Atacama Race Pants
    (+ Ortema's Ortho Max Jacket)

The gist: I found this a really good setup for temperatures above 15°C/59°F. I usually took the Baltic Hybrid Jacket off when temps reached 20°C/68°F on trails, or 25°C/77°F on highways.
    For cooler conditions I wore a long-sleeve base layer underneath the Ortema Jacket, as well as a pair of long johns under the Atacama Race Pants. For light rain and added wind protection I put on a rain jacket, which was enough to keep me warm and dry. The Atacama Race Pants of course aren't water resistant as such, but I found they do shrug off spray and light rain sufficiently enough to not care too much about the occasional drizzle. I only bothered to put on waterproof trousers for heavy rain and actual downpour.

The good thing about the Baltic Hybrid Jacket is that it doubles up as leisure jacket. I used to carry a softshell jacket of some sort for visiting pubs or for the occasional evening stroll, but the hybrid jacket has made that unnecessary. One thing fewer to pack :thumbup

All in all I am more than happy with the Adventure Spec gear, and will absolutely use it for the trips to come. On a lesser note, I also really dig the looks of it, and even got a few compliments along the way :nod

Also, I'm looking forward to the rain gear AS is currently working on. I personally feel that for hot weather gear such as this, a rain jacket is an integral part of the setup when conditions are a bit dodgy.

Dave, please consider making the 32" pants the same length as the 34". I would actually need the 32", but opted for the 34" because of length. It sits a little loose around the waist, but leg length is alright. I don't think it should be any shorter, though.

edit: Before I forget, yours truly also crash-tested the gear. All good:muutt :thumb
  6. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    Great review. Thanks for your thoughts!

F650Dakar_Norway and Revontulet like this.
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I love my AS jacket and I do agree it's tight in the forearms but perfect everywhere else and for once, I've got a jacket that is long enough for my ape length arms without being a full size too big. The back body length of the jacket is brilliant...no tramp stamp exposure :)

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I've been looking at switching to soft armour from my traditional plastic upper armour and have been looking at the Ortho-max (not seen it in person) and very curious about its durability, protection and how it is in very hot riding temps...looked at the Leatt air soft in person and wasn't impressed...someone suggested I consider the Alpinestars Bionic Tech

Anyhow: love my AS jacket and looking forward seeing rain covers for it.
    MX1WEST and ScooterNoMore like this.
  8. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Simp801,

I came across your initial Adventure Spec Mongolia jacket posting. Could you give us a nice review with photos. Yours might be the first. Tell us if you wear armor inserts in the Mongolia jacket or wear it over body shirt / roost armor. Sizing? Lots of details and pics. Much appreciated. I am very interested in jacket.

Thanks.

Gf-kam
  9. MX1WEST

MX1WEST Enduro, Rally, Adv, MX parts and accessories.

Oddometer:
    Oldsport79 and STLR like this.
  10. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson n00b

Oddometer:
    I think there should be two lineups. One for pressure suit and one for armour in the jacket.

I am riding both quick tarmac runs on my Tiger 800 and some gravel roads. Is the linesman for me? It really looks nice even though i would prefer lighter colors to not get cooked by the sun so much.

Currently riding with a old Scott suit, all black with no ventilation. Very lightweight with the Koroyd back protector in the jacket but kinda toasty.. suggestions?

Edit: I don't like the zip off arms, could save some further to skip that
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as we're giving feedback...

The OTB pants are definitely on my shortlist, but there isn't a jacket that would work for me, other than the elusive waterproof one which sounds fantastic. Frankly, I don't get the linesman concept. Softshell sounds un-protective and hot, then it jumps straight to almost full mesh (with a high collar:hmmmmm). something more protective, with more vents, seems like it would be a lot more versatile. I've never been a fan of patches of abrasion resistant material here and there. No one gets to choose exactly how and where you're going to land.
    Agreed on the zip off arms
  12. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    I agree about a potential non-water resistant but also non-mesh jacket (that is, a more typical rally jacket instead of a mesh one).
    I'd like zip-off arms on such a model.
  13. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Their intial brief was quite clear: they want to do trail clothing, not adventure clothing (of which the market is full of).
    As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather see them completely getting away from armour pockets on offroad clothing, those just complicate the garment, catch into pressure suits and also give the false impression that it's OK to wear armour into a jacket that has relatively low abrasion resistance compared to a full-on adventure garment.
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  14. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson n00b

Oddometer:
    I agree and that's why i opt for the added lineup. Make a lightweight Adventure kit to put shame on KLIM, couse they are heavy as hell. And put ventilation zippers in the rain overcoat so one won't have to stop and take it off all the time. And i don't want the extra pressure suit to take on if not needed

Adventure: pads in the jacket, slightly added abration resistance.

Enduro/Trail
    Pressure suit clearance
  15. grogger

grogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, very interested.
  16. Simp801

Simp801 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are my thoughts on the Mongolia Jacket after some use.

I wear it over a Leatt Airfit 3DF size L.

Jacket is also a size L.

Forearms are too tight with the Leatt Airfit.
    The rest of the jacket fits great.

Lightness is awesome. Don’t notice it on.
    Airflow is great while moving.

At a standstill I feel warmer than wearing just a jersey.

Couple of times the zipper has been hard to lower at the collar to jacket transition.

Collar is soft and feels nice on my neck.

I like not having anything to adjust. No wrist straps to undo when taking it off.

Cleans up nicely in the washing machine. Tag says to wash it inside out.

I’m 5’8” tall 185lbs. 43” chest.

Overall I’m very happy with the purchase.

Here are some pics of it out riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks for your input!!

18. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on all points, except i'm XXL in both Leatt and Mongolia (196 cm / 115 kg).

19. grogger

grogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. MX1WEST

MX1WEST Enduro, Rally, Adv, MX parts and accessories.

Oddometer:
    Hi Grogger, Tracking says Monday on more Large sizes. Thanks.