1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could see Poskitt pulling out the over jacket and putting it on a couple of days ago,seemed like packed small. Was riding on snow high up in the Andes so no wonder he put it on :-) He even filmed having a poo during the race...

Like the set up. Have Badlands and works great in northern/middle (Alps) Europe, fine at high temps as long as moving and less technical, and in the mountains as always cooler. But imagine too hot at low speed technical riding at high temps as Badlands need some speed to vent well.
  2. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've gone through tons of gear to figure out the best for me is a breathable jacket with a separate rain liner over.

It's probably as good or better in the cold as the mesh acts like an insulation barrier. It's obviously better in the heat as well.

The only problem is finding both jackets that work well. For rain jackets I need pit zips of some kind and good cuffs that are big enough. This has been a huge issue for me as of late. Also many have a non-stowable hood that's frustrating.

The breathable jacket also needs to be as protective as possible. Motoport is fantastic but good luck with a rain liner over it. Quad armor makes it bulky and difficult. Something like Olympia Dakar or Klim induction are great but not as protective.
  3. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    @Sitheach86 , the Companero suit is everything you mention, but the oversuit packs rather big.
    And I hope this new thing from Adventure Spec would be as well.
    I love my Companero but this one would be better for offroad trips.
  4. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looked it up. Pretty neat stuff but crazy expensive! Could possibly be worth it though if it fits the bill. My problem (other than it being closeout and few sizes left) is I'm a XL in a badlands so I'm fairly sure this won't fit my fat ass.
  5. dragos

Oddometer:
    They have a very large sizing range and also do custom sizing (for a price).
  6. dragos

Oddometer:
    Tried to do some snaps from the movie. It's not very clear, but one can make an impression. It packs indeed very small:
    Publication1.jpg

The video is here (at 2:07):
    Xplor5 likes this.
  7. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    They should - the chubby friend gives HJ's...
    AliveDK likes this.
  8. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tried this system and I would agree with pretty much everything you said, with a very minor exception - I found the armor to be hot, no matter how I vented it. Other than that it was extremely comfortable and pretty versatile. I went away from it because of a number of reasons, most of which were convenience related - it was simply too cumbersome to get into and out of on a daily basis. For instance, when on a trip bathroom or food stops meant either dealing with layers of gear or simply leaving it on. Rain meant stopping immediately or getting slightly wet and then putting a shell over damp clothing (which is about the worst situation to be wearing a shell in). Even commuting was a pain - I'd have to carry clothes with me and then find a conference room to change. So all that plus the concern that you mentioned about how easily the shell could be torn means it all hangs in the back of the closet now.
  9. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe commuting has vastly different gear requirements. Plus you're not going off-road heading to Walmart.
  10. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Most adventure riding has a mixture of requirements. There is no suit or jacket/pants combo that does it all perfectly. Your solution doesn't work for me - for either long adveture rides or for commuting. Not sure what Walmart has to do with anything?
  11. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the look of this, but wonder if it would ride up in a high speed crash in the arms or back, as it seems so flexible (but appears comfy). Here in Oz I get hot what ever I wear, but reckon a mesh jacket with armour is probably the coolest. That said I still use a Rock Gardn Flak jacket base (shoulders and elbows) and a Tek Vest when the trip is mostly off road and I'm pretty certain I'm going to fall off.......
  12. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    The interesting development is the fabric used in the main jacket. Looks soft and comfortable like a soft shell jacket, but is obviously strong enough to resist major abrasion. Dyneema no doubt plays a big role.

+1 for a layering system
    appliance57 and dragos like this.
  13. dragos

Oddometer:
    Well, thing is that this is not an "adventure" suit, and here is where I disagree quite a bit with @levain 's statement ("It's just another...").

This is a proper rally suit. The cut, the layout, the approach (no protectors, strictly a shell to be worn over a pressure suit), everything is rally/offroad.

One might use it for "adventure" riding, but it's not made to be a competitor to the Companero or Klim Badlands (or Adv Rally Air).

I was actually looking to get a real rally suit for some time, to use in some offroad intensive one day rides. But most of what's available are some light enduro jackets. I like the lightness but not the safety provided by 200D nylons. I was looking into providers for the rally jackets used by Dakar competitors, which are more sturdy than the typical enduro jackets, but then I saw this.

And if it comes on the market and if I'll get it, it won't actually be to replace my Companero, but to complement it for strictly offroad rides.
    TBR likes this.
  14. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I honestly see this gear as basically a super tough off-road jersey. Who wouldn't want this!?!

Kind of like a klim dakar pro jersey and a motoport air mesh shirt had a baby and didn't fit like a trash bag or feel as rough as sand paper.

Win in my book. Also can't be too crazy expensive since there's no goretex or armor involved.
    AliveDK, dragos and TBR like this.
  15. dragos

Oddometer:
    Exactly!
  16. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I think I misunderstood your intentions with this thread, and perhaps @levain did as well? I assumed that you suggesting this was a viable option as touring/adventure gear. I see now that you're not...
  17. dragos

Oddometer:
    I see it as an interesting development, that comes quite close to stuff that I've been wishing lately.
    Lyndon Poskitt is doing adventure touring with it, but I don't think that's the main target for this gear.
    I can certainly see myself doing trips (mostly offroad) with it, but I'm already using my current gear with separate protectors etc.
    I guess it remains to be seen when it's in final form and released on the market, how popular it would be with "adventure" riders.
    I certainly don't think it would be interesting for a lot of people. But at the same time, might be exactly what a particular category would want.
  18. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I see it the same way then, an option for some people who are riding difficult off-road sections for an extended time. I just don't see the average touring/adventure rider living with all the compromises to convenience a system like this imposes.
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    To be clear, I don't think it's a bad option, I just don't see it as any different than a pressure suit with a mesh jacket and a throw over rain suit.
    I think the absolute best option for something like this is the halvarssons safety suit. Wear the main safety layer and a t shirt if you want. Or, nothing if you wanna look like a caveman. Add some chest armor and you have the best of all worlds. I wish I never sold mine and now can't find one
  20. dragos

Oddometer:
    So you think the Halvarsson safety suit would be a real option for competing in offroad events?
    Can you mention a mesh jacket with a similar layout/functionality?