Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks David!
  2. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a measured 35" waist and I wear a 34" Mongolia/Pant. They stretch a bit!

Dave
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  3. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dave!

Any recommendations for which type/brand of back armor would fit best in the armor pocket? I assume the shoulders and elbows would accept the standard Knox/Icon stuff, but I've found the back pockets in some jackets can be a bit more difficult. Cheers, man :thumb
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s made for the Forcefield isolator pads per the site. Knox micro lock are a fair bit larger, so may or may not fit.
    BLucare likes this.
  5. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave. With my inseam measuring 33”, would the ‘tall’ size be an option or would they be way too long?.......you think?

Thanks again.
  6. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Well, after months of hemming and hawing (and trying a couple other, similar jackets), I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Mongolia Trail Jacket from MX1 West. The others I've tried haven't seemed to fit just right, but here's to hoping the Mongolia does the trick. Will update when it arrives :thumb Thanks to everyone for your contributions and photos so far.
  7. AussieEvo

AussieEvo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the weight of the AS Baltic jacket in an extra large size?
  8. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    Getting closer to pulling the trigger on a Linesman and pants. Can someone confirm weather the Atacama Race Pants ‘do’ or ‘do not’ have pockets for knee armour?

Thank you Dave and everyone!
  9. Revontulet

Revontulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They do not.
  10. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    Thanks! How about the Mongolia Trail Pants, do they have pockets in the knee for armor?

I'm asking because the MX1WEST page indicates they do however the Adventrue Spec USA page does not..??? Thanks all

11. Revontulet

Revontulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They do:
    https://us.adventure-spec.com/mongolia-pants/
  12. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
  13. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Jacket arrived today. Initial thoughts are below.

Stuff I like:
    • Overall fit: I'm 5'10" with a 42" chest, 33" waist, and a 6' wingspan. The Large fit perfectly. Not too loose, but not so tight that I couldn't layer underneath. It might be a bit long on me, but I'm OK with that. I also tried it on with my Leatt 3DF Airfit underneath, and I still had room to spare. If I end up keeping it (more on that below), I'll order the elbow/shoulder/back armor instead to fit into the pockets.
    • Quality: It's light weight, but feels solid. The materials feel like they're appropriate strength for the use. Zipper feels solid, and so does the stitching.
    • Simplicity: No extra tags/flaps/other stuff to clutter the design, or to impede functionality. It is what it is, and that's a good thing.
    Stuff I don't like:
    • Biggest issue is the scratchy outer mesh on the sleeves, as @Elderber also mentioned. I say "outer" mesh because it's what you see on the outside of the jacket, but really, the problem is on the inside once the jacket is on the person. That will be the biggest reason I don't keep it, if I decide not to. Like most people here, my intention with this jacket would be to wear it during the hot summer months with a t-shirt underneath. That leaves the forearms exposed to the mesh, and even wearing it around my house briefly, it was really bugging me. Even with the mesh lining in the sleeves, the outer mesh still pokes through and feels pretty irritating. If it's bugging me in my living room, it's really going to bug me during summer when I'm miles from home, and when it's 85˚F with 75% humidity. Obviously, layering underneath solves the problem, but most of the time I'm wearing this jacket, I won't have long sleeves on. I think a more substantial inner mesh would help, but I'm sure AS has its reasons for doing it this way. I'm just going to need to put some serious thought into this aspect. YMMV.
    • Lack of hip/front pockets. Yeah, I knew that going in based on the photos and info provided, but the more I think about it, I'd miss having those.
    I should add that these gripes are purely personal, but are also my honest feedback. I would not consider what I mentioned above issues that make this an objectively "bad" jacket by any stretch. It's a fine piece of equipment, but might just rub me the wrong way (literally).
    Uetliberg likes this.
  14. Oldsport79

Oldsport79 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in East Asia where it is significantly hotter and more humid than where you are. I don't own the jacket, but I tried it on when I was in California last year. We all have our own personal comfort levels, but I would highly recommend a long sleeve base layer in the summer. My primary activity is biking under my own power. While climbing on a long steep climb I am sweating like a pig at 40f and 50% humidity, yet I frequently climb mountains at 100f+ and 90% humidity during the Summer. I wouldn't do it without a light weight long sleeve base layer. You just might find that you are cooler with long sleeves on than you otherwise would be in your short sleeve cotton t shirt.
    This is worth every penny. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...MYXllcnM6MToyOjEwMDAwMTEyMF9jY0NhdDEwMDE4MQ==
    redkerk84, davidlomax and BLucare like this.
  15. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    I’d agree with a long sleeve wicking base layer. I wear wicking long johns and a long sleeve shirt weather it’s hot or cold. When cold I add a mid layer over the base and ride in -5°C. When hot I’ve road fairly comfortably in +35°C. Over the past few years I’ve gotten rid of all my cotton tees and underwear, only wicking synthetics now.

When I first started dressing head to toe in 20°+ it seemed wrong, but after a few rides I could definitely feel the difference.

All the best.
    Oldsport79 and BLucare like this.
  16. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Echoing and expanding on SNM's comment above...
    So, I've been wearing the Mongolian Jacket, the Atacama ITB pants, and the Baltic Hybrid exclusively for close to a year. I also wear an Avade heated shirt and the AS Core pants for a base layer, regardless of conditions. Since there's been no AS Shell available, I've been wearing my Showers Pass cycling rain jacket when the sky cries, but will likely spring for the AS when MX1West has one I can touch. Boots are either Crossfire or Corozal, depending on the ride.
    Can't speak to the scratchiness issue, as that's a personal thing. What I can say is that, regardless of riding conditions, I don't even notice the jacket and pants. They are light, comfortable, and provide great protection. The layering system works a treat. I have yet to experience an uncomfortable ride here in the Western US: coast, mountains, desert, year round, wet, dry, on road, and off.
    The most important thing I learned from the AS site was that you need to measure yourself for the next layer with whatever you plan on wearing underneath. I know it may seem a simple and obvious thing, but it's amazing how an L can become an XL can become 2XL...
  17. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    Great review!
  18. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you mean that when I am generally size L, I need to order size L Mongolia jacket and then size XL Shell? How I measure the size for the shell? Taking into account I don’t even have the Mongolia jacket? I am wearing the Leatt 3DF.

I know some other garment manufacturers are using constant size markings (for example L) for all their layered products. And the outermost shell is just a bit larger than next layer and the innermost is the ”real” L size. So there are no measurements needed when ordering.
  19. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    All covered on Adv Spec's product page...
  20. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now I found it. To answer my question, measure before ordering. No relevance to my size in other garments. Just measure and then look the size chart.