Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ready to go! Sadly AS doesn’t make a rain pant so I will have to look at the Klim ones.

IMG_0111.jpg
    ThirtyOne, STLR and BLucare like this.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like someone to do a review on the rain jacket. I don't wanna be that guy, Really I don't, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a $400 rain jacket. It seems perfect for my needs, and out of line with pricing of the rest of the lineup, so I'm thinking I must be missing something, which wouldn't be the first time:loco
    toecutta likes this.
  3. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Isn't it a waterproof jacket in its own right (like the Traverse) rather than a rain jacket?
  4. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think they would be just about right. They might sit a little low when you are standing up, but they will lift to the perfect level when you are sat down.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  5. offtheback

Oddometer:
    I haven’t ridden in it yet but I will say this. Look at a top notch Arcteryx 3 layer rain shell and the add the cost of Kevlar on the shoulders and elbows, that is this jacket. Incredible quality with taped seams, waterproof zippers and hood. I have no doubt that I will be kept dry on rides. Being a weight weenie when hiking I will still use my Arcteryx for hiking and the AS for riding.

Nothing is perfect for everyone so here is my negative. The cinch for the collar is on the back. I would prefer to have Velcro closure on the front that I can tighten or release with one gloved hand while moving.

Hey AS. If you are looking for a guinea pig to test out shell pants I am more than happy to put them through the ringer for you.
    levain, davidlomax and ScooterNoMore like this.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup - look at any quality 3 layer shell and you’re going to be in the $3-400 range. Showers Pass makes stuff for pedal bikes (although their options have WAY more venting) that are at or above this price point.
  7. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup! That's about as simple as it can get. This is a scenario where following the written directions actually works. Well, it did for me.
    yoohah likes this.
  8. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although a bit of a segue here, I've only used the Showers Pass shell because I have it in my cycling kit. I was surprised to find it works well on the motorbike. It does work, but only because I like my bicycle kit to be loose fitting. I'm not a spandex squid. I just ride my bicycle a lot. Generally speaking, I would not recommend it for mtorbikes.
  9. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My medium went on the kitchen scales for you this morning and weighed in at 550g.

Hope that helps.

Dave
  10. AussieEvo

AussieEvo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sw
    Sweet, thanks Dave!
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    I think it's meant to be just a shell.
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    How are the cuffs? That's usually a deal breaker for me. Do they open wide? All Velcro? Can you easily get a fat winter glove under? What about the second glove?

I don't have a problem with the money. Just wondering if I'm missing something is all. The rally version is $299 (no Kevlar) and seems like a much more complicated design with the collar.
  13. offtheback

Oddometer:
    I couldn’t ding my Black Diamond Guide gloves for the pics but here are some with my insulated mittens. The cuffs are Velcro and open enough for me to get over the cuff of the mittens. It is close getting it over the cuff but not too tight and space to cinch down also.

IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    ScooterNoMore, STLR and levain like this.
  14. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now when Mosko Moto announced the Basilisk riding suit, how do you see AS and Mosko suit as a comparison? I know there are some basic differences. Mosko Basilisk is only a one layer waterproof with obviously good venting (both jacket and trouser) and AS is two layers if you want to have waterproofness. Which one to buy? Or are there any comparison between these two?
  15. dragos

Oddometer:
    The Basilisk suit is not on sale yet.
    Looking at some videos, at least the jacket looks like a nice competitor to the Linesman jacket, the Waterproof shell and the Klim Traverse. Time will tell.
    But if you're interested in the Atacama or Mongolia mesh jackets, or the pants from AS, there's nothing in the Mosko offering competing with those.
    ScooterNoMore and Tizzle like this.
  16. yoohah

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know they don't have a mesh jackets or trousers. One questions is that is the Basilisk breathable enough to work as only one layer? Currently I have a mesh (jacket and trousers) and the waterproof shell (Stadler). The shell is a little bit heavy side and I want to go lighter setup. I wanted to go with AS but they don't have shell trouser yet. And I want to have inside the boot mesh trouser with the knee and hip protection (which not exist). Maybe I wait until there will be some more info and experience with the Basilisk.
  17. dragos

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on the person.
    For me the answer is no. It has to be a breathable textile or mesh.
    I can't use a waterproof shell in the middle of August in Europe, no matter how magic eVent might be (plus that huge amount of SuperFabric will reduce breathability quite a bit. AdvSpec had the right idea by using Kevlar reinforced textile material instead of covering 50% of a breathable material with ceramic).

The Atacama race pant is very close to what you want, but I think it can only be used with separate knee armor (which is good, IMO).
  18. yoohah

Oddometer:
    You are right. I'm riding in Scandinavia, but even here there are times when mesh is the only solution. I noticed also the large area of the SuperFabric which is not good when thinking the breathability. Solution to my bulky Stadler shell might be the AS Waterproof shell. It should be lighter. Pitty they don't have the shell pants (yet?).
  19. offtheback

Oddometer:
    I believe the Atacama Race pant has knee armor pockets like the OTB pants, then wear hip padded shorts or sew in some velcro for hip pads.
  20. dragos

Oddometer:
    They do have pockets for hip armor.
    Tizzle and offtheback like this.