Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. RobH1

RobH1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick word to the wise, test the waterproofness of your overshell suit especially the trousers before you ride. I did not and made a 1cm rip in the knee before it rained. Then when it rained I was soaked in the crotch. Klim refused to repair as the pants were damaged and field repaired in the knee. I had the pants Seuter tested by a certified gore tex lab and the materiel in the crotch failed immediately even tho there is no damage in that area. Their conclusion was that the membrane was faulty at manufacture. Very expensive lesson to learn. Reality is there is nothing that can be done to repair a faulty membrane.
  2. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. The Klims are a quite expensive, so I expect to have a good quality. I have noticed a lot of Klim warranty issues in the forum, but never needed to deal with issues before. We'll see.
  3. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We dropped all the garments and required seam/materials samples off at the start of this week. Although full certification will take upto 16 weeks (mainly paper trails etc.) we'll know the physical testing results within 4 weeks and should be able to indicate how various items have performed as we go along.

We're lucky that we've been aware of the EN17092 specification requirements for many years and always designed our garments around the early provisional standards, this knowledge should hopefully be reflected in the testing results...
  4. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, not ideal. I'm pleased to say that at AS we're not bound by the constraints of any warranty framework but our own. We promise to be reasonable about each warranty referral and to treat the customer as we would wish to be treated oursevles and to look at the situation as an individual event rather than apply a blanket policy to any set of circumstances.

Although we're only a small company, and often that puts us at a disadvatage compared to larger corporate style entities, in situations like this it can sometimes help to create better outcomes for all of us.
    2talltom, blalor, AliveDK and 3 others like this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Genuinely excited to see the results - gear that's as excellent in dual use as the stuff you've designed can only be more appealing with a solid CE cert attached!
    davidlomax and F650Dakar_Norway like this.
  6. buddynho

buddynho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok i got a question, just recieved the 38 atacama race pants, and i have like 3 cm from waist to the buttons when i stretch them. So i think i could fit smaller size, and iam asking because i have a duck ass in those pants...there is so much material on the ass region that i could fit like 6 oranges there.Is that intended or what?
  7. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d say if they fit comfortably at the waist and don’t slip down, stay with the size you have. I have their Mongolia Trail Pants and like yours there is room in the ‘ass’ region. I’m guessing they were made that way to accommodate a variety of body shapes and it (the key feature I’m guessing) comfort when seated!

Here is a photo if my ‘ass’ end. They definitely don’t fit like a typical European pant. for me personally, their Mongolia pant is the most comfortable moto trouser is ever used. IMG_1137.jpg
  8. buddynho

buddynho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice to know thanks, thought i need to have jenifer lopez ass or something :D Yeah those atacamas very well made pants, nice materials and they are comfy.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  9. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or carry six oranges...
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  10. buddynho

buddynho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well i can basicly put them down without unbuttoning thats kinda not to good;/
  11. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more cheeseburgers ought to fix those seat issues :lol3
    ScooterNoMore and Schuk like this.
  12. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh....yeah, size smaller then!! Bummer!!
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    About all the motorcycle pants i have had are a bit like that at the butt, and indeed the only ones that have a "nice fit" (bmw summer pants) feels less comfortable in seating position because of the tension in the fabric from the knees to the butt.

Back to AS pants: am I right that the only difference between the race and the mongolia pants is ITB vs OTB and pockets for knee pads? Otherwise same materials, cut, vents etc?
  14. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    I owned for a brief time a pair of Atacamas, which I returned because I couldn't get a good size. The seat area of those is bizarre by any standard, a ton of extra material without any clear purpose.
    (for comparison, what I use now is a current gen -- 2019 -- Klim Dakar OTB, size 32 Tall and the fit in seat area is great and very comfortable both when seated and when standing on pegs, without having any extra material. They do have stretch panels, which the Atacamas have as well).
    Brtp4 likes this.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what the current lead time is on orders placed on the US site?
  16. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just give MX1West a call. They're in Cotati, CA, and generally have the full complement of AS stuff. Good folks, too!
    Can't speak to the direct US site, as I've never dealt with them. I can ride to Cotati...
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guys at the US site got back with me. It's on backorder. Might be 2 weeks
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my Mongolia Trail jacket 2 days ago, got a chance to ride in it yesterday and I have to say it's one of the best fitting, most comfortable jackets I have ever worn.
  19. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more! I've combined it with the Baltic Hybrid with an Avade heated base layer and have yet to be in an uncomfortable position on the bike.
  20. joeclimber

joeclimber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the ADV Spec waterproof trail jacket last week. Used it for the first 3 days of a dualsport trip. 10c to 25c rain and sun. It is waterproof with tapped seams.
    Awesome piece of kit!
    Hood worked under helmet and around camp.
    I could reach the pit zips myself.
    It fits over my roost guard with while wearing a neckbrace and the still collar cinches in to keep the cold air out.
    Arms and back are long and keep the rain out.
    Wear patches look the bomb and it is even stylish. With the zips open and front zipper down a bit it blows a ton of air.
    Ordered from ADV spec USA and it shipped quick.