1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. It flows air like a tshirt. I think it would be great.

Off the top of my head with armor removed, Klim induction. Motoport mesh. Old style rukka aft. Your Companero.

I'm not beating up on you or the product. It looks nice, although I'm curious what this mesh actually is. Just doesn't seem all that revolutionary is all. I see a lightweight, mesh jacket with a couple pockets and a pressure suit underneath. Pants look a little beefier, and similar to my Companero, with more material around knees to accommodate braces.

It all looks great to me. Nice suit. I just don't see the big deal is all. I'll bow out of this one. Clearly, we see something different. I'm interested in learning more about it, just cos I like this stuff. :thumb:thumb
  2. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Those have pretty much nothing to do with a proper Rally jacket / suit in terms of cut, layout and functionality.
  3. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked at these mesh jackets from Spidi that's something between a race and touring jacket I guess. All armour is/can be included including chest and rib protection so should be fairly good protection wise. Maybe not as good as a pressure suit but my experience is that pressure suits are warm, partly because cover much of your body and partly because sitting close to body not allowing much air to ventilate (though some are better than others).

Not claiming better or worse than anything, just an option :-)

http://www.spidi.com/eu_en/multitech-armor-evo-16.html
    http://www.spidi.com/eu_en/airtech-armor-8.html
    [​IMG]
    F650Dakar_Norway and dragos like this.
  4. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hasn't the Multtech armor evo been discontinued?
  5. Torque!

Torque! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the folks who go for a vented jacket and a thin rainjacket. I use a Leatt harnas, and in warm and dry weather use a Klim Dakar Pro Jersey, if it's rianing or cold I use a Klim Valdez Parka instead, or on top of the Dakar Pro Jersey.
    A vented Jacket with rainjacket on top is gonna keep you dry, but wath about the cold? I want to make sure I can handle +35°C all the way down to 0°C. If you ever go to Morocco outside the summer you need it.
    The Valdez also has tons of ventilation zippers, so it's even perfect all the way up to around 20°C.

Grtz, Philip!
  6. dragos

Oddometer:
    I don't understand people who come to a thread about a specific product just to say "I don't understand why you are interested in this product".
    That being said, your concerns are actually addressed in the article and movie linked at the beginning of the thread.
    brianbrannon, good dog and Sitheach86 like this.
  7. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thin rain liner over my motoport keeps me warm to 45 degrees. The mesh and armor is so thick it acts like an insulation barrier and keeps the cold rain layer from touching my skin. My klim jacket would get cold and press against me transferring the cold. Heated liner or fleece and I'm good.
  8. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the newest video of this rider he's wearing the Klim forecast pants in case anyone was curious.
  9. TheLondonder

TheLondonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interesting post.

Is this the same product Adventure Spec presented at the NEC bike show in England a couple of months ago? I seemed to remember they presented some kind of Kevlar rally jacket; not sure if this is something else, or if I remember incorrectly.

So the fabric is a combination of nylon and Dyneema? Dyneema sounds promising – after all Saint jeans use a similar UHMWPE material and achieved CE approval, although only level 1 for now. The doubt I have is that, if I understand correctly, UHMWPEs have better abrasion resistance than Kevlar and other aramids, but they also conduct heat better and have a lower melting point compared to Kevlar. In other words, compared to Kevlar, these materials should transmit more heat to the body during a slide, and at the same time there might be a higher chance they melt from the friction of a slide. Bull-it had a table, but of course they were making the point that their Covec material is better; Honeywell produces a similar material,. Spectra, which is also a UHMWPE, and in the specs they declare a melting point of ca. 150C (in line with Bull-it’s table). Is my understanding correct? Can anyone elaborate?

Also, what does Nylon 6.6 mean, exactly? The only other time I saw it mentioned was in Spidi’s gear specs. Is 6.6 the denier under another scale, or something else? Is there any information on how Nylon 6.6 compares to Cordura 500D, 1000D, etc?

Finally, have they confirmed there is no option to add armour – this thing must be worn over a pressure suit?
  10. dragos

Oddometer:
    No idea if they only showed this or something else as well.
    6.6 is just a "type of polymer", not a "fibre". I gues even Cordura *might* be made from it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon_66
    http://www.invista.com/en/polymers/nylon-polymer.html
    http://www.polyone.com/idea/nylon-6-vs-nylon-66-whats-difference

One the characteristics seems to be a higher melting point compared to Nylon 6 (whatever that might be).
    Yes, this is not a general purpose garment but one specifically aimed at Rally and offroad riders, and expected to be used as such.
    @Sitheach86 nailed it, it's the tough, rally (high-speed) oriented version of the off-road jersey (or gear).
  11. Hankus

Hankus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would buy something like that. I'd rather have a stand-up collar and pockets for knee and shin pads in the legs. A soft and flexible garment that was not restricting while still somewhat protective would be great. The huge over-wrought ridings suits that are popular now-a-days remind me of metal suits of armor.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed Lyndon was wearing Klim pants the other day when it started bucketing down.
  13. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I mentioned it a few posts up. Klim forecast pants.
  14. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but how about neck brace compatibility? Look at the photos of this new gear from adventure spec. The neck brace sits outside the jacket but the feet go underneath.

Right now there's almost nothing mesh that is designed to work properly with a neck brace.
    I can only think of the Klim Rally Air Jacket which looks bulky, stiff and costs a fortune. Leatt have recently come out with a mesh jacket called the 4.5 X-Flow (link), but I don't think it's made for abrasion resistance at all. At least it's a much less busy design than the Klim Rally gear.
    jacket_gpx_4.5_x-flow_black-red_1_.jpg

Traditional style collars like on my Klim Traverse or Revit Airwave just don't work well with a neck brace. The only way I can use those jackets with my brace is to wear the brace on top, which means wearing my Leatt 5.5 pro HD armour on the OUTSIDE of my jacket. It's actually not too bad that way, but it's definitely not ideal.

I'm considering buying the leatt x-flow and pairing it with the Klim Gore-tex Overshell (Link). This would very close to what Poskitt has been wearing from adventure spec. Not sure how small the Klim overshell rolls up but surely would be much smaller than my traverse.

One last thing I would love to see adventure spec incorporate into the waterproof shell jacket is a removable hood. Would be great for setting up camp in the rain
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  15. dragos

Oddometer:
    It also depends on the neck brace. There are models (like the STX from Leatt, or the Ortema) that work very well over the jacket.
  16. dragos

Oddometer:
    On a different note, checking Lyndon's FB page, Adv Spec one and wherever I can find pics from the ending of the Dakar, seems that the suit is looking quite good after this years' gruesome Dakar and some crashes.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw him at the finish on TV and the jacket at least appears to be in one piece. :D
  18. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season?

Oddometer:
    Rally raid participants often bring 3 or more spare jackets to retain sponsored ads effective ;-)

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk
  19. dragos

Oddometer:
    I doubt this applies to Malle Moto. Especially looking at how dirty Lyndon's gear was by the end :)
    F650Dakar_Norway likes this.
  20. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season?

Oddometer:
    Cool

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk