Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to give a small update, still not sure if there’s different batches for the Mongolia Trail Jacket, but AS USA has been super responsive and compared measurements between the Large and XL jacket over the phone with me - dispatching an XL to try along with a pre-paid return label in case neither work. A+ customer service for sure.

@davidlomax , can you answer if the elbow area width was changed at all for the Mongolia/Atacama mesh jackets in a second production run, and how wide it should be there?

Edit: I just found the posts a number of pages back where David indicated that shipments post October 2018 would have expanded arm boxes & single compartment rear pouches. It looks like AS USA has the previous stock right now, at least in Larges, as the rear compartment is still divided on the one I got.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    New update. XL was massive. However, Patrick at AS USA (who has been absolutely fantastic through this whole time - really trying to work with me and get me set up as a satisfied customer!) reached out today to say he just got some new stock in from the UK, and the arm measurement looks like it's between 1/2 - 1" broader on the elbow/forearm area (it also has the non-divided rear pocket). He'll be dispatching that one for me to try.

I have to say, this is how a small company/distributor keeps customers. Always impressive when they're responsive and genuinely interested in making things right!
  3. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any feedback on the Atacama Race pants and Mongolia Trail Jacket in hot 30c+ weather?

I currently have the Klim overland pants but they don't play well with my Fox titan knee guards and are just ok in really hot weather with the vents open. I normally wear a Alpinestars bionic jacket with jersey on top again which is just ok. The bionic jacket is getting a bit worn now and you can not take the armor out to wash it which is a design flaw in a hot weather jacket so was thinking of getting the Mongolia Trail Jacket with Forcfield EX-K Harness Adventure.
  4. Revontulet

Revontulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PomInOz_ and ScooterNoMore like this.
  5. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am eyeing Mongolia Jacket + Atacama Pants.
    The question is, when it gets a bit colder - is the Baltic Hybrid Jacket sufficient, if i wear it underneath the Mongolia Jacket, to act as a Windstopper/keep me warm?

Anyone has made some experience with that scenario?
    TIA
  6. Tom VT86

Tom VT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received yesterday both the Linesmen jacket as the Mongolia jacket.
    Depending on which type of riding you wish to do, personally I believe the Mongolia jacket will be too cold.

I've ordered the Forcefield protection so I can use both jackets with or without protective vest depending on which ride I'm going.
    - The Mongolia will mainly serve for spring/summer and to participate in Raids, as it's just a mesh jacket. It gives you additional protection over a normal jersey, but you see right through, so I don't think you need to see it as an additional insulation layer.
    If you're warm enough without the Mongolia jacket, but just use it as protection, then it would suffice.

- The Linesmen jacket will be used for Autumn/Spring rides, and just short trips where I can choose to wear a sweater or fleece/windstopper underneath.
    So for me that would be used more with the same intent you have.
  7. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm crap. I wanted to avoid buying both. Either Mongolia OR Linesman. I may be a bit bitter that the Linesman doesn't have a matching pants available (atacama pants + mongolia jacket tho..).
    I planned to wear the jacket over body armor so no need for protection.

Aw man I wish there were shops to test fit their stuff.
    Anyone got the Baltic Hybrid? Is it warm? I thought about getting the mongolia + Baltic Hybrid. If it's raining and/or "Windchill" I'll put over a simple rainjacket (pure plastic but perfect for rain/blocking wind).
  8. Tom VT86

Oddometer:
    I have to say their sizing is really well documented.
    According their chart I would have exactly an L, ald it suits me perfect. I wouldn’t describe myself as really athletic, but not overweighed either and I still have a bit spare room.
    I also wanted just one jacket first but considering I always have to do minimum 1hr highway to come near something close as offroad the Linesmen was the best choice for that as it still isolates more.
    The Mongolia jacket for me is rather because I switched from hard body armour (Acerbis Koerta) to soft (Leatt Airfit) and it feels more comfortable in summer wearing at least some sort of a jacket. Additionally I don’t have any mesh jacket so with the separate protection I would also consider using it on my 1200 GSA during summer.
    I would consider buying the Atacama pants as on pictures they also seem to match Linesmen jacket?
    I still have a Klim Badlands Pro pant so I’ll first continue using this one. Opposed to a rain jacket I don’t want to mess with a rain pants
  9. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found a perfect video that exactly makes the point I was searching for:

The Baltic Hybrid Jacket is the perfect layer for between Racejacket and Body armour for Warmth.
    Mongolia Jacket, Baltic Hybrid and Atacama Pants it is then!!! :)
    Gonna be a greaaat chrsitmas present to myself :clap
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you’d previously found the Mongolia tight around the arms, the new fit adds about an inch to the forearms and fixed that issue for me.
  11. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi David do yo have some news to share about these testing?
    Also, when are the waterproof pants planned to be released?

12. Tom VT86

Oddometer:
    Same here; I've tested both the Mongolia and Linesmen jacket with: T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweater, Leatt Airfit, and still didn't feel uncomfortable.
    The only thing you need to keep in mind is that it's not designed like regular motorbike jackets with lots of spare room. It still gives a bit more a tight fit, but personally I like that better instead of having it flapping around.
  13. Oldsport79

Oldsport79 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had many get offs during a recent adventure. The Mongolia jacket remained unscathed, but I right pants pocket tore a whole in it during one of the falls. I was thinking about getting some Kevlar fabric and patching it. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

I bought my gear in early September, but I think the old version of the jacket came. It wasn't too much of an issue for me because I am primary a road bike rider (tall skinny guy). So my arms didn't feel squeezed even wearing full body armor under the jacket, a thick winter base layer, and a Patagonia down sweater.
  14. ANKOF

ANKOF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi. Haven't read the whole thread so I might have missed something but... how is the abrasion resistance on the mongolia pants on tarmac?
  15. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents worth on the Baltic jacket. (Or my tuppence as the case may be). I was underwhelmed at first; I have Arc'teryx jackets that are warmer and pack smaller. Then the zipper started unravelling from the bottom. Then stopped doing so. However, I am nothing if not patient; I continued wearing my new Baltic. With more wearing has come more love. The Balkan is thinner so less bulky inside sleeves. Said sleeves are very long, too, which makes it easier to keep wrists covered after sliding into overjacket sleeves. I rode home last night at -4C with just a Balkan and a polypro shirt under the Badlands. I think I need Balkan socks though!
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  16. PERCi

PERCi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I need help choosing the right waterproof shell. I'm thinking of the AS layering approach for a RTW-trip - which obviously means packing light for all kinds of conditions and temperatures. Currently deciding between Atacama Race & Mongolia Trail Jacket. Want to use a Leatt 6.5 neck brace, and I've learned that a neck brace can be used with both jackets. But what about rain protection? Is the only option for neck brace-compatibility the Atacama Race-Shell? I cannot figure how that would work with a Trail Waterproof shell. Did I miss anything? What do you use?

Thanks for any hints,

PERCi
  17. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try this for an independent review to get an idea of the jackets performance:

Or this to take a look at a written review:

http://adventure-spec.com/tracks/adv-spec-baltic-hybrid-mid-layer-jacket-tunisian-desert/

Hope that helps.
  18. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ScooterNoMore and davidlomax like this.
  19. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been awaiting official testing information to reply to two posts, one regarding starting EN17092 certification of our clothing and the others to answer a question asked about waterproofing numbers, windproofing and breathability of our AS waterproof fabrics.

The short answer to both questions is that I don't have official numbers yet (they are both now overdue)...but, I am expecting them over the next few days.

I can't comment on the EN testing yet as that is something that until we have the reports for we quite literally have no idea what will happen, but the other question is one that I'm happy to have a go at answering now in short form before we publish a full statement in a few days.

The question went : 'What are the air permability, water proof column rating, and breathability numbers of the membrane solution you are using?'

At the time this question was asked we did have some fairly accurate internal testing numbers, which were enough for us to make decisions when we were designing the clothing, but we thought that if we were giving this information out to the general public then it ought to be official, independent and verifiable, not just internal numbers.

So, I'll start with Air Permeability. As I've said before

'The membrane we have chosen to use in our waterproof clothing is a Hydrophylic PU coating. We took a good look at all the options and eventually settled on our own spec of coating to meet our exact needs.

In short, for extended expedition use this form of membrane has a number of advantages over microporus films including strength, toughness, windproofness, a wide range of chemical and solvent resistance, excellent odour barrier properties, and less risk of leakage in the event of stretching damage occuring.'

The upshot of this choice is that unless there is a fault in our fabric it is not air permeable. i.e. Wind will not pass through it.

Fabrics like Goretex or eVent are made from stretched PTFE, which essentially means they have holes in them. This allows for a level of 'Air Permeability' i.e. they let air through. The only way to stop this with such fabrics is to layer them up...but, this hugely compromises breathability and weight.

Our fabric works in a different way using the chemical composition of the material to transfer moisture from one side of the material to the other. There are no holes in it, therefore it is not air permeable and is 100% wind resistant. This allows us to use single layers of material over the whole jacket and remain fully windproof and lightweight.

Waterproofing :

The Market leader GoreTex states that it is has a hydrostatic head to 30m or 30000mm. This means a small 30m tall column of water applied to the material will not pass through it. This sounds like a lot, but if you kneel on the ground with a wet knee the pressure on the fabric from your body weight can force moisture through material with lower levels of hydrostatic head. So, that 30m figure not only means that you stand more chance of staying dry in the event of pressure on your wet suit, but it also means your suit is likely to remain waterproof over a longer life span too.

Initial official tests are showing our fabric is also waterproof to 30m or 30000mm.

Breathability :

This one is a nightmare! There are lots of different tests for waterproofing and unsurprisingly most manufacturers prefer to the use the test that gives the best results for their own material type. Mostly the reason we chose to use the membrane we did was because PTFE membranes like GoreTex and eVent need you to be warm inside the jacket to drive moisture through the membrane. The higher the temperature differential the better they work (hence GoreTex is really good in colder, dry conditions like Skiiing especially if you are working hard), but if you are cold, wet and stationary as you're riding a long road stretch after a downpour or a technical 'sweaty' section and trying to conserve what little warmth you have left (e.g. with a warm layer between your base layer and shell) then the little temperature differential between your outer insulating layer and your outer shell compared to the outside temperature will impact breathability dramatically and could lead to an increased likelyhood of you staying damp.

However, PU membranes naturally love water on the inside regardless of the temperature (they naturally want to absorb it) and so they work even when you are cold and wet, and even better, the wetter you get the more moisture they transmit. This sounded better to us...so we went for it!

I can tell you our material breathes really well, and I could give you numbers, but for them to mean anything I have to tell you which tests we used to generate them and how that might compare with other claims. I'll do this when I finally have official testing data and have cross checked it with other claims as best I can.

Finally, when are our next lineup of products arriving? We hope to release them ready for the start of the 2020 season.

As ever, thanks for your patience and support.

Dave
    raschaa, Helfel, levain and 6 others like this.
  20. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great answers Dave. Thank you. Can you just say whether there are plans for a jacket spec'd similar to the pants?