Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which pants are you referring to?
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mongolia trail pants. Wondering about a jacket with same materials, and venting. No mesh. No soft shell.
  3. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you mean a non-waterproof jacket made from the same 1000D fabric as the Pants (without softshell or mesh) then no, we have no plans to make a jacket like this at this time. We originally designed the Mongolia and Atacama Pants to work with the mesh Jackets specifically for Lyndons first Malle Moto Dakar attempt.

Although if there was enough interest we'd take a look at the idea...now that you mention it that spec would be good for riding in the cooler places of the world.

Dave
    thelastfoiter and levain like this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That jacket would complete the package for me. The Linesman doesn't really fit with my riding environment. A 1000D version of the Mongolia jacket would be an instant buy from me.
    levain likes this.
  5. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Add one more person interested in a textile, non mesh, non waterproof, controlled ventilation dual sport jacket.
  6. levain

Oddometer:
    I'm actually surprised this wasn't the plan all along. I guess it's a +3 from me. Or, is it +1:dunno
    dragos likes this.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in this type of product.

A textile jacket with controlled venting via zippers, good abrasion resistance, that isn't made with Gore-Tex or some other waterproof membrane (inflates cost, decreases breathability) is missing from the market for the most part, IMO. Spidi Armakore is possibly an exception, at least for jackets with integrated protection.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mean, you all are asking for a Klim Dakar with stronger materials basically?
    flamingm0e likes this.
  9. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    My current fav jacket, but if someone can come with a better version, I'm in.
    The Mongolia Trail Pant are an excellent competitor to the Dakar pants, so why not a jacket.
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  11. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a pretty good tumble this past weekend while wearing my AS kit. Sprained my knee, cursing myself for not wearing my hard braces. The Atacama pants and Mongolia jacket came through the abrasions and bashes showing only a bit of scuffing, but no tears. The armor pockets in each kept the Forcefield armor in place and they did their jobs admirably.
    Well done Dave & Co. and thanks for the quality kit!
  12. PERCi

PERCi n00b

Oddometer:
    Please help me choosing the right midlayer: I've got a Leatt 3D Airfit and a Leatt Neckbrace. Plan to order the Atacama Race Shell and the corresponding Rain Shell. But .... from what I see the Baltic Hybrid Jacket I would love to have would sort of *brake* the neck brace compatibility chain. Of course I could use the straps provided with the brace (which I really only would choose as a last option) - but than again I could also go the Mongolia Trail Jacket-Route. I'm not into racing, planning a RTW-trip. What would you choose as an appropriate midlayer?
  13. Tom VT86

Tom VT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it was up to me I would go with the Mongolia Trail Jacket over the Atacama jacket, if it's not only for high temperatures.
    I can't comment on the neck brace thing, since I don't have a neck brace, but from what I've read here the neck brace is as well compatible with the Mongolia trail jacket.

I've now tested the Baltic Hybrid Jacket in combination with my Linesmen jacket and can say it fits me well down to 10°C, on my GS Adventure, also doing highway.
    The GS Adventure has excellent wind protection, however doing highway sitting still you down easier, then working on the trails.
    Looking at the jackets, the Linesmen jacket is in fact similar to the Mongolia, only the Linesmen is much more insulating over the Mongolia, and more of a soft shell structure.

For temperatures below 10°C, personally I believe the Hybrid jacket and the Mongolia (which I've also bought) would be to cold.
    The Mongolia is only a mesh jacket for protection, so for actual heat preservation you would only rely on the baselayer and hybrid jacket, which for me would be to little insulation.

For winter rides, I'll be using a baselayer, my Leatt 3D Airfit, a mid layer such as the hybrid jacket, or even warmer and then a Linesmen jacket.
    The rain gear for me would only be used for actual rain protection.

Not that I have plans in that way (unfortunately), but also for a RTW trip I would rather go for the Linesmen jacket.
    I prefer to be able to take off layers, and for example wear a MX-shirt between my harness and Linesmen jacket, so I can still remove the sleeves, or even take off the jacket when in heat, rather then ending up in heavy rains and cold, and find my layers prove to be insufficient to keep me warm.
  14. simon crewe

simon crewe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear this https://www.lomo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh00...ng&PN=winter-thermal-cycling-top.html#SID=150 under my 'Linesman' jacket if it is chilly, then when it gets really cold I add my 'Baltic Hybrid' jacket as an extra layer. They both pack up small, so if you get too warm, you can remove one.
  15. PERCi

PERCi n00b

Oddometer:
    Makes sense, Tom! Today my first AS order with the Atacama Race Jacket, the Baltic Hybrid and the Race Shell arrived. The Baltic Hybrid fits perfectly over the Leatt 3D Airfit and is a keeper for sure. Then - mainly because of the Neckbrace - the struggle begins :D; The Atacama Race is a good fit as an outer layer, but I'm having problems getting the back of the jacket over the lower part of the neckbrace. Which made me decide to wear the Neckbrace with the straps instead of fixed to the Leatt - *over* the jacket - and ordered a Mongolia Jacket - just as you suggested.

For cold weather I have a woolpower 200 that I use in addition to (long) icebreaker merino underwear. Will need the outer layer for wind protection though - have also ordered the Trail Waterproof Shell - will see how it all adds to the system.
    For those of you just lurcking : I will keep you updated with my final decision.
  16. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with the linesman that people want something with a different main construction for colder weather? Is there a problem with soft shell? I don't own any Adv Spec gear but I'm looking to buy some soon.
  17. simon crewe

simon crewe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is nothing wrong with the 'Linesman Jacket', here in the UK I ride in temps. from 30c to below freezing with no issues at all. With the correct layers it is a great piece of kit. totally different to the normal bulky/heavy gear that we are used to wearing.
  18. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
    Ok I've watched the sizing guide info but I'd like actual user input.

I'm around 190lbs 6'3 16/36 dress shirt, short but broad torse, WITH my armor I have a 45" chest, 80cm Arms according to Adv Spec chart

For the Mongolia would an XL or L fit me better (I'm a Large in Klim Carlsbad but it's a bit too snug in the shoulders, elbows, and sleeves are slightly short when wearing it OVER my armored shirt and way loose in the gut) It's "Arm" Measurement is 80cm

And for the Trail Waterproof Shell, should I go XL or XXL? Over the next year I plan on putting on another 15lbs or so.
  19. simon crewe

simon crewe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it is any help - I am 5'11, 175 lbs, 42 inch chest - I have a large Adventure Spec jacket fits really well, I think you will probably need larger than me. Sorry I cant help with the waterproof shell as I use military goretex suit that is about £50 here in the UK. I really like ADV spec gear but I do think the waterprooof stuff seems very expensive.
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Id try an XL. Fit actually wasn’t horrible on the XL for me, it was just quite long - which sounds like a perfect match for you.
    thelastfoiter likes this.