Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. PERCi

PERCi n00b

Oddometer:
    As promised here is what I have decided for as a RTW setup. For those looking into sizes as well, I am 178cm , 66kg, rather slim with a 92cm chest. That's what I finally chose:

Baselayer: Icebreaker Merino 200 - Size S
    1x long sleeves, 2x short sleeves

Protection: Forcefield Pro Shirt X-V 2 - Size S
    I finally decided for the Forcefield over the Leatt 3D Airfit, if you're a slim guy definitely give the Forcefield a try!

Midlayer: Adventure Spec Baltic Hybrid Jacket - Size S

I love this one. You can easily wear it as an all-day jacket, and you won't believe it stretches over the Forcefield - but it does. Really cool!

optional Midlayer: Adventure Spec Baltic Insulated Jacket - Size S

Wearing this one as midlayer results in a *really* tight fit of the outer layers. Tests will tell if it finds its way onto the overall packing list.

Outer Layer: Linesman Jacket - Size S | Mongolia Trail Jacket - Size S

Still not decided on these two, but I kept them both for now as they are really great jackets. For my trip to Iceland in 2020, which will be a test for the RTW-trip, I will surely use the Linesman as it will provide more protection from the elements.

The main problem I faced here is the battle of sizes. Baselayer+Protection+Baltic Hybrid, Size S fits snugly but actually just right - I am simply used to a much looser fit from my BMW Rallye 3. I also tried the Linesman Size M. It would have allowed me to add more midlayer-material (e.g. wear a Baltic Hybrid + a Baltic Insulated). But I simply looked funny with the bigger jacket *without* all the layering - and it didn't give me a good feeling.

Rain+Cold Protection add-on: Trail Waterproof Shell - Size M
    As you can see, only for this one I went one size up. It is simply impossible to wear a Size S as well - have tried that with the Atacama Race Shell first but same surely applies here, that's why I only ordered an M.

Pants: Atacama Race Pants - Size 32
    I have also tried the Mongolia Trail Pants. I like the ITB-style better. The Mongolia Pants fit just as well, but the legs (for my size) are a bit too long, so that - when you're out of your racing boots - I would be left with quite some material. So the Race Pants were the way to go.

One word on neckbrace compatibilty: I first tried the Atacama Race Jacket, because of the "hole" provided, which would have left me with the option to fix the neckbrace to the Leatt 3D Airfit. I now use the neckbrace-straps, and that even works wearing all layer, also with the Trail Waterproof Shell.

And finally (a bit OT, but to complete it:) Shoes: Sidi Crossfire 3 TA | Helmet: Touratech Aventuro Carbon2 black

Conclusion: Adventure Spec offered me all the choices to build my own personal light layering setup. My whole process started with looking into a Touratech Companero World 2. Looking at the money I have spent now, I am almost on par with the Touratech, but I'm travelling much lighter and much more versatile. Living in Germany, the only drawback I see so far is the mail order and returning costs from/to UK, which in my case added up to about 90 €. Anything else: Thumbs up, guys, and keep up with the great work!

Arrive alive!
  2. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all

After some sizing help. Looking at getting the MONGOLIA jacket & pants. I’m in Australia so a little difficult to exchange sizes. Anyway, I’m currently wearing Klim Dakar ITB pants in a size 34 and the Klim Dakar Jacket in a Large (also got a Carlsbad in the large for the cold/wet). Anyway, would the same sizing in the MONGOLIA fit? My measurements seem right for a large in the jacket (a snug 113cm with armour and a mid layer on) but pants my waist is much larger, 39 inches or so, yet Klim 34 fit ‍♂️

Any help would be appreciated. Also going to get a screen for my 450L so looking to maximise the shipping!
  3. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They have a sale in this week... just saying!
    Scaz0r likes this.
  4. simon crewe

simon crewe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a direct comparison but, I am 36 inch waist & take large AS trousers - 42 inch chest & large jacket with room for layers etc. I am 5 11 & 80 kilos
  5. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hay! Dave Lomax....looking at the Baltic Insulated Jacket. I see in the specs it has 130G of Thermore insulation. Can you tell me what it's equivelent 'fill power' is? Or is it rated the same way? Testing and all that!?? Thanks again, great gear!
  6. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh nice!

Time to score! <3
    Thanks for the reminder; luckily I have this thread subscribed :p
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is this sale you speak of? I see no mention on their site.

Thanks
  8. Scaz0r

Scaz0r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ADV Spec Sale.JPG
    Atacama, Mongolia and Linesman are for sale, which is exactly what I wanted to buy. Sadly the Baltic Hybrid isn't also for sale but hey... :p
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    Aha! Thanks.
  10. dlugosda

dlugosda n00b

Oddometer:
    The discount seems to actually work: went to do some shopping, but the Mongolia Trail Jacket in M is already out of stock...

:2cry
  11. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered on Tuesday, arrives Friday! Awesome.
    Both the pants & jacket are well fitted, not bags of room but think a size up would be baggy. Nice to have a matching set of gear, new experience for me
  12. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
  13. levain

Oddometer:
    I just picked up 36l OTB pants and a 2xl waterproof jacket on eBay. Sizing is on the fence. I'd consider a straight trade for a 36r pant and xl jacket. I guess I need to decide for sure before placing an ad, but maybe someone needs a swap here? Anyone?
  14. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
    Ya those were dirt cheap on eBay for a LONG time, I bought his Mongolia. Good score! What do you think of the rain jacket?
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    Well, dirt cheap is relative. The pants were priced appropriately. Good deal on the jacket for sure. It's good. Maybe, great. Packs much bigger than I hoped, but seems really well made, and presumably as waterproof as claimed, but thinking it's too big. If I can't get a trade, they'll end up in the flea market.
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  16. floalex

floalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone can help me out with an opinion?
    I’m considering buying the linesman jacket but I also want to use it on the road. I know it has kevlar but I’m wondering if it will hold up a longer slide on tarmac.

My idea is to have one jacket for on road (e.g. 3.000km on the way to ACT Greece) and off road.

FYI: I do have body armor so I’m looking for a jacket without armor that protects from the abrasion.
  17. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    I used my Linesman for 95% of my riding this year. 80% on road and 20% off road. At least 1/2 of my ‘on road’ riding was at freeway speeds. I felt confident in its protection all the time........I use a Knox armoured shirt underneath. Adjustments.jpg

I’d never been as comfortable until this year/season. The combination of the Linesman and the Mongolia Trail Pants are by far the combination I like the best.

All the best.
    F650Dakar_Norway and floalex like this.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Considering that most nylon even is absolute crap in a slide, I doubt the LInesman is all that bad if you have it over body armor anyway.
  19. ScooterNoMore

Oddometer:
    From their web page description/specs:

The ADV Spec Linesman Jacket. A windproof & breathable trail riding/rally jacket reinforced with Du Pont Kevlar fabric on the key abrasion zones.
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was saying that considering how crappy most nylon suits are this can’t be any worse really - and possibly better then many if you slide on a Kevlar reinforced patch.
    floalex likes this.