Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Timely question; last I heard, AS were awaiting the results of testing for EC approval. That was some time ago; are AS still waiting or has brexit dashed any hope for a UK company in the EU?
  2. floalex

floalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s exactly my issue: most „enduro“ jackets are either made from a almost non abrasion resistant material or they are made bulky with many pockets and flaps and stuff when they are made from a high abrasion resistant Nylons like Cordura.

I would like to have a high abrasion resistant material used in a simple design.

I’ll try to get in touch with AS after their deserved holidays.

So, happy holidays everyone! Ride safe!
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  3. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the KLIM Dakar. A better option IMHO.

I would not bank on the Linesman for a longe ONroad trip, it feels and looks like a fleece jacket.
    It’s NOT a bad jacket, it’s just more a off-road jacket in my mind.
    floalex likes this.
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    And, that's not good enough either. The reason some of us are hoping for a 1000d version of one of their jackets. Same spec as pants with vents.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In motoCAP’s testing, the portions of the Badlands pro made from “Karbonite ripstop” (the impact area material on the new Dakar) last about the same as single layer 1000d cordura, so that’s not bad. Of course that’s <1s, so it’s not great either. I’d be concerned more with the sleeves ripping off.
  6. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

A big fan of various AS hard parts I’ve bought over the years - but a bit late to the AS gear game. But finally have worn through my old gear enough to warrant replacing it, and have targeted the Atacama jacket since day 1.

My question is around sizing. I’m 5’8” and 148 lb. “Bare” chest is 37”, with base layer and my pressure suit (Thor Impact Rig hard shell size small, looking at an upgrade to Acerbis Scudo or similar hard setup, also size small) my “geared up” chest is 39”. Currently, I’m running an Acerbis Desertika (yes, it’s old :lol3) size Medium. That jacket fits acceptably around the shoulders, but is floppy in the trunk.

So I’m almost straddling AS’s sizing guidelines between small and medium. Technically I guess I should order a medium Atacama-but am open to dissenting opinions. Prefer a leaner cut if possible, as I don’t like bunching.

Application is 20/80 (road/dirt) long day backcountry riding. Running a Leatt Adventure brace on almost all my rides, hence the Atacama.

Any opinions, especially for those that are familiar with the Desertika fit vs the Atacama are gratefully appreciated.

Cheers to AS for some great gear. Can’t wait to be a new customer.

CM
  7. monster

monster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CM,

I am exactly same size as you and I have bought all 3 AS jackets in medium plus their layerings. I also use pressure suit. We can set up a video chat later if this is fine with you so that I can put on various layers for you to see the fit.

Kam
  8. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Hi Kam,

Many kind thanks. I’m travelling now over New Years, but will advise by pm when I’m back.

I hope you’re well and stay safe.

CM
  9. v4n4tX

v4n4tX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in the Atacama race jacket, but i am confused: Is the Atacama jacket exactly the same jacket as the Mongolia, just with the neck brace? The page says the neck brace can be removed.
    Why would then anyone order the Mongolia, when the Atacama is the same, but with an added feature? Did i miss something?
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Atacama is cut for a neck brace, AKA it doesn't have a collar. The Mongolia has a collar
  11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. canadius_maximus

Oddometer:
    Hi - thanks. That chart was my starting point - I fall right in the middle of the sm/m threshold.

That said, I'm rethinking my jacket and armour strategy, so I've put this purchase on hold for now.

Cheers all,

cm
  13. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    The nice thing about how AS does their sizing is you measure yourself with whatever protection and insulation layers you plan to use. It eliminates a bunch of guesswork.
    Monterey_BS likes this.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every once in awhile, a good deal pops up too:dunno
  15. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy new year. @davidlomax, you sent some jackets for CE testing some time ago. Any results yet? How safe do the CE find your kit to be?
  16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just received my XL Adventure Spec Trail Waterproof Shell. I am 6' 0", 190 lb with normal dimensions. I usually wear a large shirt or jacket but the XL AS shell fits perfect over my Forcefield Pro Jacket, Fox roost protector, and a Patagonia synthetic puffy insulated jacket. I believe it will work great for my needs. Rain, abrasion, & wind protection for an easily packable 750 grams. Any questions?
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  17. floalex

floalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is something going on with the company?
    I’ve filled their contact form like two months ago which automatically created a support ticket and I haven’t heard back.
    Now when I want to see the ticket it says it’s unknown.
    I wrote another mail two weeks ago but still no answer.
  18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    UK or US? If it's US, Patrick has been out of the country in the UK for much of January and my have some catching up to do.
  19. Tom VT86

Tom VT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't had any issues. If they didn't got back to you it's also a possibility to reach out via Facebook?
    If I order something (that's on stock) I receive it in 2-3 days, and e-mails are also replied within reasonable time.

Further for this topic, if anyone is looking at sizing;
    At the moment I have:
    - Long sleeve base layer
    - Baltic hybrid jacket
    - Baltic insulated jacket
    - Mongolia trail jacket
    - Linesmen jacket
    - The new black rain jacket

I'm 185cm, and about 83kg and a size 'L' fits perfect for all of them. I'm just regular built.
    I still have a little bit possibility to move, but it fits close to my body in combination with a Leatt 3D Airfit body harness.

I doubted a lot for the the Baltic jackets since I believe it's a lot of money for mid layers, but I'm really happy with the jackets. I use them both on as off the bike, even to go to work (the insulated jacket).
    For me, for driving in temperature range down to 5°C the hybrid jacket in combination with the the Linesmen is ok, as long as it's offroad.
    If you're just sitting on the bike, or stand still too long, it gets chilly.
    For lower temperatures or longer tarmac stretches I would use the baltic insulated jacket, or an overshell.
    floalex, ScooterNoMore and dragos like this.