Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both here in Australia. My Klim Dakar is not 2020 stuff but only not that old. Both are good. I would say the AS jacket is a bit cooler than the Dakar but that the reverse is true of the pants, mainly due to the fact of the zipper vents on the Dakar’s. Both jackets work well with layering. Personally I prefer the look of the AS gear and it tends to be my go to.
    ScooterNoMore and MadM like this.
  2. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the KLIM Baja s4 set is a more direct comparison with the adv spec Mongolia?
  3. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh good. Now can anyone compare these three?
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the AS jacket is the most off-road focused mesh out there, and it's sized for compression/hard armor use. The Baja is a REALLY nice ADV mesh jacket, but it's totally overkill if you're spending >70% of your time offroad IMO; Superfabric impact zones are great for pavement, but not so important on dirt.

The Mongolia with a rain/windshell of some sort would be my pick - stick the Forcefield L2 (or Knox Microlock L2, which also fits if a bit less well) in there for massively better impact absorbtion then the Baja's L1 D3O if you don't want separate armor. Something like a Klim Zephyr windshirt will give you super packable temperature modulation; or the Enduro S4 shell if you want something waterproof.

I think the Dakar and Mongolia pants are functionally identical - but the Dakar has a more svelte fit due to the higher amt of stretch materials. You could also grab a Mojave pant if you're anticipating lots of 25c+ temperature riding.
    Red liner and MadM like this.
  5. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3 Klim and svelte in the same sentence:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you not worn the new* Dakar/Mojave pants? If you get the correct size, they're actually pretty leg-huggy in my experience. Same with the Marrakesh jacket/pants...

Stretch materials are cool.

*as of what, 2017?
  7. floalex

floalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should consider the Linesman Jacket by AS.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A jacket made for 100% off pavement, with minimal warm weather usability?

Do People even read Posts?
  9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't put too much confidence in Klim's Cordura "superfabric". I took a first gear tumble on pavement in a hairpin turn when a car changed into my lane. (Tires aired down from dirt riding and grabbed too much front brake.) The Cordura knee fabric on my Klim Mojave pants tore like an old pair of blue jeans and all Klim offered was selling me another pair at MSRP. No problem, just glued it all back together with Aqua Seal.
  10. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
    Interesting, could you post a pic of the damage?
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your Mojave's aren't using Superfabric though? Only the Badlands/Adventure Rally used patches of that before the Baja.

Did they tear at the knee flex area? I've seen a lot of pants give at that seam.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  12. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    Just tore through the fabric in the knee area (and my skin) where it hit the ground. I was a little surprised at the lack of protection given the speed at the time. 5 - 10 mph max.

Klim's marketing speak "Engineered with highly abrasion resistant 840D CORDURA® fabric (developed in partnership with CORDURA®) in the highest wear areas.".

Abrasion resistant my ass.
  13. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Superfabric is not 840D cordura. Two different materials. And the Mojaves don't have superfabric. The Mojaves are made for dirt only and are not intended for road riding.
    Just sayin...
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  14. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the input!

I don't like to look of AS Linesman jacket…
    floalex likes this.
  15. Sparrowhawk

Oddometer:
    I'll try to be more careful and be sure I never exceed 5 mph on pavement since I only have a layer of "highly abrasion resistant 840D CORDURA® fabric", and not Superfabric, protecting my sensitive bits.
  16. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a tear, not an abrasion. CE does two completely different tests for the two. Cordura should be pretty tear resistant though. Thelastfoiter is right : a picture here would be worth at least 500 words.
  17. thelastfoiter

thelastfoiter I like the gear as much as the motorcycles...

Oddometer:
    I mean 840D cordura is 840D cordura, there's no way to lie about it, it's either that spec denier fabric or it isn't lol

840d isn't the most abrasion-resistant fabric on earth, you shouldn't be surprised it wore through.
  18. floalex

floalex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I disagree that the linesman is 100% off pavement. If so the Dakar jacket would be too.
    It was recently certified for CE level A, so there should be some abrasion resistant in there.

For warm weather you can either use the vents or zip the arms off.
  19. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    CE 'A' is for urban speeds; unless you're planning to go from trail to trail at speeds <30kph, it's not made for that sort of thing - the main body is a softshell material. Actually, how did the Linesman make 'A' cert? It doesn't come with armor ...
    Also, your definition of "warm" may be different from mine, but I'm assuming the guy asking the question was considering frequent >30c temps down by the Med.

I concur that the Dakar jacket is for 100% off road use, at most brief trail connecting patches. That's how it's marketed, and designed.
    MadM and floalex like this.
  20. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input about Dakar vs Mongolia. To follow up, has anyone tried using Mongolia with D3O armour in the jacket instead of standalone MX/Enduro body amrour?