Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    They expanded the lower arms in the latest run - no issue any longer.
  2. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can be done, but is too ‘heavy’ for the jacket and gives it an odd shape imho.
    Same with the Linesman. An Airfit is perfect under both.
    MadM likes this.
  3. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took delivery of Forcefield Pro Shirt X-V 2 on Friday, so that is sorted. Just need to decide on the gear. It is hard to make a good decision from looking at pictures and reading reviews, I prefer to try gear on.
  4. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had both, sold the Mongolia... The Dakar is the best all round off-road jacket I have ever had, and I had many :-)

I love AS, but for norther Europe the usable window is simply to narrow. I see you are further south.

I hope you figure it out :-)
    Brtp4 and MadM like this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I had the same issue with the new Dakar as I did the original run Mongolia - the forearms were too tight with armor.
  6. AliveDK

AliveDK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right...my Dakar is from spring last year and i have no issues.
  7. LitenBie

LitenBie Ride in Plural

Oddometer:
    It's been a long wait, but I finally got a bike for adventuring off the tarmac so I have finalized my purchases for adventure. Here I am in my glorious adventurespec clothes.
    IMG_20200509_125952.jpg
    Underneath I have the Leatt Body protector 3DF Airfit, Acerbis Evo 3.0 knee protection, and Acerbis Freemoto pant 2.0 (large). I'm wearing the Mongolia Trail pant size 36, the Atama race XL, and the baltic hybrid XL. I'm about 100kg and 187cm. The shoes are Sidi Crossfire 3 SRS, the gloves are some old sidi I bought years ago..

Everyting fits great, comes great together and I'm very happy with it. It's actually a bit cold in sub 15°C when riding above 60kph, which I look to as a blessing. It's always easier to have more clothes than less. A rain-jacket or windstopper would complete the gear and keep me good and warm.
  8. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    I'm loving my CORE long pant and long sleeve base layer. Wore the pants last weekend under my Alpinestars Andes Dry pants in 80*F+ temps and was comfortable, even with the air vents closed on the Andes. Quality is top notch and they are super comfortable.
  9. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'm right about your size. My current jacket is more of a waist length style. When layering, it often rides above the under layers and annoys me. Would you say the AS jacket is long enough to be considered longer than a waist-length, street-focused jacket? It looks like it might be a little shorter than what would normally be considered a 3/4 length...
  10. LitenBie

LitenBie Ride in Plural

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention I'm a quite strong build, so the 100kg might be a tad misleading. But no-- I think the jacket is long enough not to creep. I'm off into the forest tomorrow, I'll get a picture taken from the side/behind.
    Plebeian likes this.
  11. LitenBie

LitenBie Ride in Plural

Oddometer:
    Never mind, I did take it first time I tried it on! :)

IMG-20200413-WA0002.jpg

It might be a bit hard to see, but the jacket goes butt and beyond :D
    ScooterNoMore and Plebeian like this.
  12. Plebeian

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. The back definitely has some nice length. My current jacket does as well. I was more concerned about the front. I totally understand not wanting much length there for riding. But, since I layer a lot, a little more length than right at the waist would be helpful...
  13. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There definitely is a bit more length in the front too IMG-20200528-WA0056.jpg

The jacket has a reasonable amount of give everywhere.
    Plebeian and ScooterNoMore like this.
  14. Plebeian

Oddometer:
    Ordered an XL. We'll see how it goes...

I am a big believer in mesh and layering. I've been looking for the "perfect" jacket for a long time. The Mongolia checks off a lot of boxes... :thumbup
  15. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson Spreadsheet Racer

Oddometer:
    The Klim Marrakesh does have allot of similar properties? Klim Marrakesh is AA rated, anyone know about the Mongolia?
  16. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not sure the Mongolia ever had its EN rating published here? However, I’d say there’s little comparison between the two from a temperature regulation standpoint. The Mongolia flows SO much more air, it’s much more like a Rukka AFT jacket in that regard.
  17. Plebeian

Oddometer:
    Marrakesh breathes well, but nothing like a mesh garment. Mesh really flows air...

I have not seen any ratings for the Mongolia, but the materials used are fairly high-end. 1000D Balistic Nylon is pretty tough stuff as far as textiles go. 6,6 nylon mesh won't compare to a kevlar weave, but is pretty good stuff as well. I wouldn't consider it pavement-abrasion resistant, but better than cheaper polyester materials used in many mesh fabrics... I guess you hope to land on the 1000D stuff, and the 6,6 mesh is going to be tough enough to last when fighting through tight trails and taking dirt tumbles.
  18. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the seam strength that'd concern me, when I had one a lot of the seams appeared to be single stitched - although they could be using a hidden seam.
    Plebeian likes this.
  19. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To my mind, the Klim Baja is the one to compare with the Mongolia/Atacama. Anyone here try both?
  20. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but not on the road. The Baja is far more street oriented then the Mongolia, and there’s a huge weight difference (Baja is much heavier). For hot weather off-road riding, I think the Mongolia makes more sense - especially if you’re planning to use a pressure suit/separate armor anyway. If you’re more street or mixed, the Baja is probably better if your budget stretches.
    Red liner likes this.