1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG-20200831-WA0021-01.jpeg

Here i am with the adv spec aqua pack rain jacket. Worked really well and not once did i feel clammy inside. That material of theirs really does work. Also blocks the wind out a fair bit. Super duper happy with the kit. I have the mongolia underneath it.
  2. BEG

BEG n00b

Oddometer:
    This doesn't make sense. The website still says it comes with Forcefield Isolator Level 2 armor and in the update notes for the 2020 version it says back, shoulder and elbow armor were added. I thought that was the whole point of the CE EN17092 upgrade. If that isn't the case, then I think the price is missing the mark. The Klim Induction becomes a better value at $379 despite only having level 1 armor.

Thanks for the comparison to the Basilisk. I've been keeping an eye out for a used one to try it out for cold/wet weather. The Mongolia definitely feels like a utilitarian piece but the price delta for a new Basilisk is too rich for my blood despite the extra refinement.
  3. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Mongolia and the Basilisk are for totally different purposes though. I grabbed the latter to try in the hopes of using it for a mid season /wet weather over shell and the Mongolia for my daily. In VA, it gets hot early and stays hot & moist for a while!

This is what AS Customer Service said:

4. BEG

BEG n00b

Oddometer:
    So what is the lower price without the armor?
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $370ish, same as before.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I only paid about 250? for mine before the "refresh"

Nope, it was over 300.

upload_2020-9-3_11-18-18.png
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    *shrug* I have no idea what they're doing over there.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  8. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    Sounds like neither do they.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  9. RebBaron

RebBaron n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the same experience and outcome. Good on AS for stepping up on the armor. I was deciding between several jackets and the inclusion of level 2 armor was the tie breaker. If AS had decided not to comp the armor I would have just returned it.

I may return it anyway based on the sleeves. They are basically XL length in my large. I'm hoping the shoulder and elbow armor takes up some of the slack. Otherwise I will probably send it back.
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I wound up sending it back due to the arm length. I had a pair of Forcefield pads lying around and tossed them in, no longer any elbow tightness issues like the first gen but I swear the arms weren’t as long last time.

Still incredibly light and with stretch perfectly placed for wearing over armor, I think if you’re in the original use case (true off road focused dual sport) it’s a great option.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say the pants are on par with any other manufacturer. At least my 36 mongolia are. They're best fitting, most comfortable pants I've ever owned, and built to a really high standard. Better than the jacket I had briefly that was too big.

Here's yet another plug for a jacket made with the same materials as the pants with lots of venting. Still not sure why that wasn't in the original plan
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pants didn't fit me. Patrick at US ADV Spec was super helpful in cross shipping and trying to find a pair that fit. Unfortunately, I have large thighs and the thigh and crotch areas were just TOO tight. Even on a pair that were sized up. Absolutely loved the quality and finish of them though. I really want a pair that fit.
    cblais19 likes this.
  13. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson Spreadsheet Racer

Oddometer:
    They can sell the jacket without armour pads in EU aswell. It would just downgrade the CE AA rating to B as it would only provide sliding protection. But it's really nice to se the AA rating just like the Klim Marrakesh & Baja S4.

Maybe the Mongolia vents to much for my mellow swedish riding? Will i always be wearing a jacket over it?
  14. Helfel

Helfel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi i have the Lyndon Poskitt Motorex green Atacama Race Version.

And i would say its too cool execept for the hottest days. If its below 20-25°C and you are going faster than 60kmh longer than a few minutes its getting too cold for me.

It flows air really well. Mostly depends on your protector jacket.
    I use the Ortema Ortho Max jacket, similar to a Leatt 3df.

I use the jacket for TET trips around and South of the Latitude of Munich / Germany in the Summer.
    floalex likes this.
  15. ScooterNoMore

ScooterNoMore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m a big fan of AS gear.

Yesterday, 11° morning to a 30° afternoon. Mix of highway, gravel and dirt. Needed to remove a mid layer. For me it’s the perfect gear combo!! Thanks to Dave and everyone at AdventureSpec.
    IMG_4345.JPG Adjustments.jpg
  16. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson Spreadsheet Racer

Oddometer:
    If the linesman jacket had AA rating and came without the sleeve zippers i think i would go for it
  17. mdlafferty

mdlafferty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Mongolia jacket saga that had started in June is finally over! The armour arrived today.
    Like others, I received the jacket without the armour. The explanation given was that jackets ordered from the US website didn't come with armour. Only UK and European orders got the armour even though the price is the same and the website did not say this. After submittting a helpdesk ticket, they agreed to provide the armour. Adventure Spec is back in my good books again. I also have their Magadan bags on my 500EXC and love them.
    Dr.SPEED1 and cblais19 like this.
  18. Red liner

Oddometer:
    The mongolia jacket gets two thumbs up from me. Light, super breathable and tough as nails. Great for dual purpose touring or travel enduro.

For pure technical single track though, i think this is still too heavy.

IMG_2435-01.jpeg
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  19. smeller

smeller n00b

Oddometer:
    What are your measurements, just to compare them to my own before i order
  20. Red liner

Oddometer:
    Chest 40, arm 31, and waist 32 all inches.

I went with the medium for both the jacket and the pants. Perfect fit. Do remember this stuff has been designed to take in body armour, so the fit is decidedly loose but not flabby.