1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    My guess (and it's only a guess) is they didn't design the jacket to be worn with protectors in the armour pockets, but they included those anyway because they knew a lot of people would ask.
    Without some adjusters on the arms, I doubt that protectors in pockets can be trusted.
    I have no problem with that, I really like the simple, clean concept focused to do one thing well.
    My adventure gear is already fulfilling other types of usage and the last thing I'd want from this would be to be just another adv suit trying to please every type of rider at once.
  2. dragos

Oddometer:
  3. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what armour Lyndon wears underneath his Atacama race jacket?
    Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. dragos

Oddometer:
    Leatt soft stuff.
  5. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dragos, any idea which particular one?

I've been thinking about which armour to use under the jacket, but because I've used a Tekvest for so long, I'm a bit out of touch with the current stuff?
    I'm also wondering if I could still wear the Tekvest, with armour in the shoulders/ elbows of the jacket, but this would probably compromise the ventilation a bit.
    The issue I have in Oz is heat, so armour wise I'm looking for something very protective (ribs as well please), but as cool and vented as possible, anyone like to suggest something that might achieve this and be compatible with these jackets?
    Cheers,
    Adrian
  6. dragos

Oddometer:
  7. Hankus

Hankus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting looking gear but has anyone actually handled it? I’d like a jacket for slightly cooler weather. Such as dirt riding out west where you might go from 85 degrees at 6000 feet to 55 degrees at 12000 feet and back. This stuff seems oriented to desert riding from the pictures shown here. But then I’d be wearing a jersey.
  8. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously, if you're gonna rock one of these, this is the only one to consider...

Screenshot_20171204-213137.png
  10. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too many logos for me. Like the colour though :getiton.......
    levain likes this.
  11. Hankus

Hankus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mfg’s logo is enough. Those other folks have to pay me. :lol3

And below is a general gripe not aimed at just these guys who are probably perfectly nice people:

With the cost of reproduction on the internet at near zero, why are we not treated to a dozen photos of each product clearly demonstrating every possible good reason to buy them?

Gotta wonder...
    thelastfoiter, jackbyo and sprouty115 like this.
  12. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    Its not so clear on the product page, but the grey one is the production model and the green one is the original prototype for Mr Poskitt. There was a limited run of 30 of the green ones at £495 that I am pretty sure have all gone. Lyndon had the last 5 or so to sell himself.

There may be more photos to be added. The cost of reproduction on the internet is as you say zero, but the cost of professional product photography is a long way from zero so that is why there are not infinite shots.
  13. dragos

Oddometer:
    I don't actually feel that the photos are lacking in quantity (or quality). Quite a bit of details on each product page.
    I would like some more elaborate texts, though, both on features and sizing.
  14. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    Heres the text currently...

"The Atacama Race Jacket is an extremely tough lightweight jacket that is focussed on rally and extreme ADV riding. It can be either used on its own in hot environments where ventilation and abrasion protection are required, or paired with the Atacama Waterproof Jacket for weather protection and Core Base Layer for warmth. It is competition ready and can be used with or without a neck brace. Insert armour or wear over an armoured base layer for impact protection.

How does it work?

The jacket achieves max ventilation and strength through the use of fabrics designed for extreme conditions. The core of the jacket is made from military spec snag resistant nylon 6.6 fabric. This makes for a very tough construction that is also well ventilated due to its open knit construction. To add impact protection we have reinforced key abrasion zones with 1000D ballistic nylon. This provides a good balance between strength and overall weight. Internal pockets will receive back, shoulder and elbow armour if required.

Who is it for?

The Atacama Race jacket has been designed for riders who require extreme performance with minimal weight. Double Dakar finisher Lyndon Poskitt was instrumental in its development and used it for his 2017 Malle Moto campaign. If you are rally rider or serious about light weight ADV travel, and is looking for a versatile jacket that is part of a comprehensive clothing system then the Atacama Race Jacket fits the bill.

Technical details

• 1000D Ballistic Nylon fabric in key abrasion zones
    • Two mesh chest pockets
    • Military spec snag resistant nylon 6.6 mesh fabric for maximum ventilation
    • Neck brace compatible collar
    • Rear zipped pockets
    • Reflectivity to improve rider visibility
    • Shoulder, Elbow and back protector pockets
    • Rear stretch panels accommodate slimline water bladder under jacket
    [​IMG]
    Sizing Chart

https://www.adventure-spec.com/media/wysiwyg/AS_Sizing_Chart.jpg

I guess this needs updating with some other measurements BUT its been effective in getting people fitted correctly for the Hybrids we had last year...
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone needs to buy the pants and tell me if they're worth swapping for my ripped companeros:deal:deal
  16. dragos

Oddometer:
    I read all that on the site...
    I didn't think of the jacket when mentioning "more texrt", but there is some info that could be useful, like:
    • what material are the base layers made of;
    • what range of temps are each mid layer (hybrid and insulated) suited for;
    • what weight of thermo material do they have (I think there is mentioned for one but not the other);
    It would also be great if some info on the waterproof shells would be on the site, since this is pitched as a "system".
    And a time of availability for those is important. If someone wants to get the Race or Trail jacket, can they assume that the waterproof outer layer will be available at the start of the season (March/April)?
    elron likes this.
  17. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Site fotos of inside of jacket would be helpful, and yes where is the info about the Atacama Rain Jacket that is part of the system. Not gripes just desires to see and know more about the product.... and dang about no more green Linesmans (ok that is a gripe)
  18. moep

moep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    are there any more diffenreces between the Atacama Race Jacket and the Mongolia Trail Jacket apart from the collar?
    i would choose the mongolia jacket, because i don't need the collar for my neck brace, but i don't want to loose the
    • Rear stretch panels accommodate slimline water bladder under jacket
    does somebody know if its also included in the Mongolia trail jacket?
  19. dragos

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is. No other differences, it's the same jacket with diferent collar configuraions.
    As a supplementary info, from an email exchange I had with Adventure Spec:

Q: If choosing to wear a hydration backpack under the Mongolia Trail Jacket, what is the routing for the hose/mouthpiece? For the Atacama, I guess it can be through the large neck opening, but from the pics it’s not obvious what happens on the Mongolia.
    A: There's a pass through port in one of the chest pockets.
  20. moep

moep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the quick answer
    did they also say something about the delivery time? I want to go riding in march