Adventure Spec Trail Riding Gear: very interesting development

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dragos, Jan 6, 2017.

1. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Their own video presentation for the pants that I linked few posts above (http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ting-development.1196789/page-6#post-34124313) says the pants do have a laminated membrane, but not taped seams.
    So not waterproof, but "shower proof".
    Bayner likes this.
  2. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doh! I missed that. I watched the Poskit video on the gear and he mentioned water resistance and not water proof. I assumed it had to do with weave of the nylon or a DWR treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Full membrane with taped seams. Like a very good quality mountain outdoor jacket. Not sure about DWR on the nylon but I am assuming there is some treatment to keep water from absorbing and then transferring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to chime in and share my point of view on the Adventure-Spec Atacama jacket and layering strategy. I've been following Lydon Poskitt on YouTube channel lately. Very intrigued by the Adventure-Spec jacket and layering system.

I live and ride in Mid-Atlantic region ( U.S.A ) region. Virginia, W. Virginia, and North Carolina. Once or twice a year I ride backcountry in Rockies. The climate in Virginia is typically hot and humid in summer months. Pretty hot in July and August. 90s Fahrenheit. The shoulder seasons can be wet and cold. I don't do any enduro racing. Mostly adventure / dual-sport riding. My ride is a 2012 F800GS and Yamaha WR250R. Like everyone else I've tried various textile jackets. Three KLIM outfits and couple REV'IT. Everything from mesh to Gore-Tex. For colder season I wear the Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants. For couple of seasons, I wore my KLIM jacket year round. But, last couple of years have been brutal. This year I finally went back to mesh jacket. I purchased the REV'IT Cayan top and REV'IT H20 Cyclon rain top and bottom. Very happy with the breathability of mesh jacket. Especially for everyday riding on my F800GS. So, now I wear the mesh during summer and shoulder seasons. So, I've gone back to layering system for almost 6 months of year. All the things everyone has mentioned is true....you need to store the rain shell top and bottom. Moreover, you have to pull over and get the rain shell layer on. However, for me the breathability has been far superior over my Klim Badlands for summer season.

But, my annual Rockies trip on my Yamaha WR250R gives me a better appreciation for Lydon's gear strategy. The first year, I wore my KLIM out west to places like the Red Desert in Wyoming ( Great Divide Basin ) and Moab. It got very hot. Moreover, jacket got heavy. So, in 2016 I decided to give the Forcefiled EX-K compression suit a go with Klim Mojave jersey on top. You can see more photos and write up on Forcefield:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...rness-flite-plus-klim-badlands-armor.1112020/

From my perspective all that body armor directly on your body still gets pretty hot. The photo shows my setup. Klim Mojave on top, Forcefield EX-K underneath, and finally I wear a thin wicking base layer under the Forcefield. Occasionally I'll wear a backpack with a water hydration bladder.

Kam-Moab-2016.jpg

So, I put a Klim Mojave jersey over my Forcefield. Gives me that little layer of abrasion protection when I am out riding my WR250R in backcountry. As you know it gets hot in the Rockies. Especially last few summers in CO, UT, WY, and ID. So, just riding around with the Forcefield body armor and Klim jersey can be hot. For additional warmth and rain protection, I carry a Ruka enduro Gore-tex shell I found on sale. The system really works on my long Rockies trips. Like this one:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/3-weeks-in-rockies-on-yamaha-wr250r.1177560/

I know I am a bit exposed when I get the WR250R on pavement just with my Klim Mojave jersey on. Something like the Atacama jacket would be ideal.

In short, I am becoming more convinced the layering strategy has it advantages. Especially for trips or places where you can see dramatic change in weather. Like out west in Rockies. Snow in mountains and hot 90s in the basins.

My 2 cents.
  5. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I may be taking off to Africa soon and this equipment strategy seems brilliant, as weather in the parts I'd be riding in is close to much of South America.
  6. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    Can't find the rain jacket (neck brace compatible one) on the site anymore... anyone have a link?
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just received email from Dave at Adventure-Spec. Stay tuned. More to gear stuff to come in 2018. All I can say. No detail list.
    jackbyo likes this.
  8. davidlomax

davidlomax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay guys, we should probably have popped up here sooner...but, we've been really busy designing and making clothing!

Any questions you want answering, I think we have enough details nailed down to be able to answer.

Dave
    ScooterNoMore and GF-kam like this.
  9. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave, Can you give us a run down of when the full range of pieces (ie the rain jacket and pants, as well as the over the boot pants, etc) will be available for purchase? Also do you know yet what your US distribution will look like? Thanks
  10. dragos

Oddometer:
    @davidlomax , any reports (and maybe pictures) of the Linesman jacket being used with a hydration backpack?
  11. wheresbaoskee

wheresbaoskee Perpendicular to Everything

Oddometer:
    Love the concept behind your gear designs. Basically the same thing I cobbled together as a "first set of gear" using a Spidi mesh/armor setup as a base. The Atacama/Mongolia looks like a great upgrade that would be much more sturdy than what I've got. Like it would hold up to an off at freeway speeds, and clearly sturdy enough for anything I'd do on dirt/trails/gravel. A few questions:

Is the Baltic Hybrid the best choice as a mid layer for underneath the race/trail jacket, or could the version with fully insulated arms work as well?

Can you give us details on the rain shell? Pricing? Materials? Available as a kit with either the race/trail jacket or separate purchase?

Any plans to offer matching rain shell pants with similar specs to pair with the Atacama pants? (either version)
  12. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,

Glad you popped up on ADVrider. Perfect. Still partying at Dakar no doubt :)

I know a lot of us have questions and cannot anticipate more gear coming down the pipeline. Could you include a lot more video breakdown. Like the folks at Revzilla do so well www.revzilla.com premier USA gear reseller. Hey I just had a thought, maybe Revzilla would carry ( distribute ) your A-S brand. Anyhow, have someone like Lyndon P. dawn gear on and do thorough reviews.

Definitely more on Atacama jacket. Love to see it in different colors.

...cheers,

Kam
  13. davidlomax

Oddometer:
    We have split our products into five rough 'families' the first was the Atacama product.

RACE
    Atacama Mesh Race Jacket (with a neck brace compatible collar) CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
    Atacama Race Pant (in the boot) CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
    Atacama Race Waterproof Shell (with two collars, one for use with a neck brace one for use without a neck brace) DUE IN APRIL, but full details on the AS shop over the next few weeks

TRAIL
    Mongolia Mesh Trail Jacket (with a standard collar) CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
    Mongolia Trail Pant (over the boot) DUE IN APRIL
    Mongolia Trail Waterproof Shell (witha standard neck collar) DUE IN APRIL, but full details on the AS shop over the next few weeks.

MID LAYERS
    The Baltic Hybrid 3 season over/under armour jacket CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
    The Baltic Fully Insulated 4 season jacket CURRENTLY AVAILABLE

LINESMAN
    Linesman SoftShell Trail Jacket CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
    Linesman Trail Waterproof Shell (lightweight with a standard collar) DUE IN APRIL

BASE LAYERS

Coming soon...

Waterproof Over Pants (Due date...2018 Fall)
    Waterproof Sock (Due date...2018 Fall)

US Distribution is currently looking like 3 outlets only. We have our own warehouse in Denver (mail order only), MX1 West in CA and another dealer who we are still in discussions with east of the rockies.

Hope that clear up a few points.
  14. davidlomax

Oddometer:
    Dragos,

I used the linesman jacket myself with a Kriega Hydro 3 backpack last year on the Tour Of Portugal Rally. It works perfectly well. However, the Linesman is not designed to be used with a large backpack if you want to use the lower rear pockets or vertical vents efficiently. I don't currently have any images of this. But, I will add this request to the growing list. We never really planned for this to turn into such a big project (we were just making rally clothing for Lyndon) and the levels of interest have caught us a bit unaware).

Dave
  15. dragos

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the info. My plan is for a small, hydration only USWE backpack and I'm trying to figure out the interaction of the straps with the front vents.
    That is, in trying to decide between the Linesman and the Atacama/Mongolia.

So from your list above:
    Atacama Race Waterproof Shell (with two collars, one for use with a neck brace one for use without a neck brace) DUE IN APRIL, but full details on the AS shop over the next few weeks
    Is that the over shell seen in some pics from the NEC show?

Mongolia Trail Waterproof Shell (witha standard neck collar) DUE IN APRIL, but full details on the AS shop over the next few weeks.
    Is that the standalone waterproof jacket, seen as well in pics from NEC?

Linesman Trail Waterproof Shell (lightweight with a standard collar) DUE IN APRIL
    And what would this be and how will it be different from any of those two?
  16. davidlomax

Oddometer:

Both mid-layers will work perfectly on a bike. The main difference is the Hybrids capability to be worn under armour (or without any armour) really comfortably with a good fit, whilst also being able to then stretch over armour if required. This was designed specifically because on longer lightweight trips I always ended up carrying too many mid-layers. I'd have one for the evening off the bike (maybe used in my sleeping bag to add a bit of extra warmth), but then after I put on my armour to ride I needed a second jacket that was a size larger. Also, a lot of mid layers don't have enough stretch to be comfortable whilst riding and the ones that did were often a simple stretch fleece that didn't give enough warmth. I wanted a single jacket that I could wear on or off the bike, with or without armour that was really comfortable and gave me the maximum possible warmth for the weight. Of course, there is a compromise here...a fully insulated jacket would be warmer, but would lack that level of flexibility.

Hence the Fully Insulated Baltic Jacket. Also cut to be used on or off the bike (it has a removable pack away hood for evening use and waterproof hood and shoulders to shrug off the odd shower around the campfire or when you are running errands.) however, you need to choose your size depending upon whether you want to use it over or under armour. That said, its a seriously warm piece of clothing and if you don't want to wear it, it packs away into its own internal pocket (and is great for using as a pillow!).

Waterproof shells : We have no pricing yet. All shells are made from 3 layer fabric, which means none of them have any form of liner to keep weight and bulk to a minumum. All pieces of AS clothing will be sold seperately so you can pick and choose exactly which parts of the system you need to meet your needs.

Yes, we have waterproof pants in the pipeline currently and we are hoping to have them available for Autumn '18.

Hope all that helps.

Dave
  17. davidlomax

Oddometer:
    Atacama Race Waterproof Shell : Shown as a prototype (not quite production quality) at the NEC show in a single mid grey colour with a removable neck brace collar

Mongolia Trail Waterproof Shell : Shown as a prototype (not quite production quality) at the NEC show in a multiple grey tone with a Kevlar supported material to the hign abrasion areas

Linesman Trail Waterproof Shell : Not seen yet. Black, based upon the Atacama Shell, but with a fixed standard neck collar.
    wheresbaoskee and dragos like this.
  18. davidlomax

Oddometer:

Kam,

Video breakdowns are planned for each item once we settle down from this years Dakar filming bonanza! The Atacama Jacket is made from a fabric we designed oursevles specifically for making lightweight motorcycle shells. We have to buy minimum quantities of this as it's unique to us so alternative Atacama colours will purely be based upon possible sales volumes. If we think we can sell enough to warrant buying the material we'd give it a go.

Dave
  19. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Waterproof shells, any pictures available as never attended any UK bike shows unfortunately. The waterproof shells, similar to Klim Forecast & Stowaway Jackets (Goretex) by any chance? Thanks for more details and feedback, cheers!
  20. davidlomax

Oddometer:
    Absolutely not similar to either the Klim Forecast or the Stowaway or we wouldn't have needed to make new jackets. We'd have just used the Klim Jackets, which are great at what they do!

The Atacama waterproof and breathable shell is a super lightweight (unlined), pocket packable, fully neck brace compatible ripstop 3 layer shell with a single throttle/brake friendly chest pocket and loads of reflective strip.

The Mongolia Jacket is also a lightweight waterproof and breathable shell (unlined). But, it has Kevlar reinforced material on the shoulders, arms and hips to give significantly increased abrasion resistance. It has three pockets (two lower front and a throttle/brake friendly chest pocket), underarm vents and a shallow cut hood that packs into the collar when not needed or can be worn around a campfire/when off the bike or used under a helmet to seal out really bad weather under a helmet.

We have full high res images coming within the next week or so on the AS shop as the new products get put onto the system. Please bear in mind these images are still of prototype garments and are not final production quality.
    jackbyo, Pundy, TBR and 1 other person like this.