Adventure Sportster Build AKA Piglet

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Austin hayes, May 28, 2016.

1. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk:lurk

(it's under the Uh huh tab)

Hope you're having fun in Vermont Austin. Shoot me a PM or text when you get back. I'd love to check out your bike and chat about wheels.
  2. Austin hayes

Austin hayes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back from Vermont. The Piglet never fails to impress with its willingness to keep running when it shouldn't. 20160822_181203_HDR.jpg
    All loaded with unnecessary crap.
    20160823_183524_HDR.jpg
    Headed north on 231 to Sperryville, 522 through Maryland into Pennsylvania, a few assorted back roads to Rickets Glenn State Park in northern PA for the first night. Shot of some access roads near the park.
    Snapchat-4234106834356180661.jpg
    Grab wood, beer and head to camp.
    20160824_080001_HDR.jpg
    Before I left I hastily chopped my cam and sprocket covers and rerouted oil lines. Rode to work a few nights and noticed a oil leak/spray coming from somewhere. As usual I ignored it and left anyway, I work better under pressure.
    After roughly 290 miles the first day my pantleg and pelican case was soaked in oil. Grabbed some rocker gaskets and replaced the rear set the next morning before leaving
    Kiba and ClutchDumpinDan like this.
  3. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Those of you all following this thread are in for an awesome ride report. (EDIT: I' see it just started!) I've been getting text of random pics from all over the Northeast for the last week, and Austin swung by my place on his way home today with all sorts of crazy shit to tell. He was nice enough to leave some oil spots behind and punch a hole in the pavement with his custom kickstand (story to follow I'm sure)...

IMG_7497.JPG

I'm sure some of the ride report will have to be redacted for fear of legal prosecution, hillbilly retaliation and/or a lightning bolt from above :lol3

Ride on dude...ride on...

IMG_7502.JPG
  4. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    The next day I rode from PA to Pittsfield Massachusetts through New York. Didn't take many pictures, had a late start and lots of ground to cover.
    20160824_131207_HDR.jpg 20160824_171301_HDR.jpg

Stayed with family in Mass, still had oil blowing over the side of the bike, with the rocker box gasket leak fixed it was easier to see the oil was actually coming from the air cleaner. For those unfamiliar with modern Harley's, the crank case is vented by a passage from the rocker box through two hollow bolts that hold the carburetor on. The gases pass through a rubber flapper valve called the umbrella valve, the valve separates oil and blow by. From there the gases pass through the bolts and are burned by the engine. So the oil from the air cleaner suggested a issue with umbrella valve or sudden excessive blow by. I went by a cycle shop in Pittsfield and got some new umbrella valves and tore the rocker boxes back apart. It turns out that the rocker boxes will fit on either head but the umbrella valve will be in the wrong position leaving a wide open hole from the rockers to the carb. Swapped them back onto the correct head and kicked myself for missing that problem on the first tear down, Quick trip to the car wash to get rid of all the oil and she was good to go.
  5. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Day three was riding from Pittsfield Mass to Grand Isle Vermont. Bike ran great, no break downs at all. Upstate New York is beautiful. Riding through Burlington Vermont at rush hour was miserable. Made it to lake Champlain and grabbed a picture before heading to Grand Isle state park. Got a lean to as Rain looked possible. It was one of the nicest parks I
    have stayed at.
    I prefer to ride more miles vs stopping frequently, so excuse the lack of sightseeing and pictures.

20160825_140431_HDR.jpg 20160825_165458_HDR.jpg 20160825_184854_HDR.jpg
  6. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Day four....
    Packed camp up and headed North to the Canadian border. Didn't have much intention of crossing, I didn't have a passport and from what I hear it's frowned upon to ride through the woods into another country. Rode some great gravel through grand Isle. Definitely the first time I'd been off road on a Island. The gravel came to a road closed sign where I stopped for a picture, went to put the bike on the kickstand, it hit the ground and threw me off, thinking I just sunk into soft ground I picked up and saw my kickstand broken at the extension weld. Once again my own fault for running a temporary kickstand permanently. Threw the bike against the barrier, snapped a pic and headed back South down the island to a little repair shop and held the bike up as he welded it back together. Ran back up north again for a official border pic.

20160826_111809_HDR.jpg 20160826_120337_HDR.jpg
  7. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    More day 4.....
    Headed West off of the island's to ride down the New York side of Lake Champlain. Beautiful scenery everywhere. Lake Champlain is such a contrast to the little muddy man made lakes we have in Virginia. Rocky Shores, clean water and real boats.

Came across Ausable chasm heading south, huge gorge with a bridge crossing the center of it. Stretched my legs and snapped a picture and headed towards Massachusetts

20160826_133535_HDR.jpg

After about 150 miles the bike starts to really get uncomfortable. Stretched my left leg out to rest it on the skidplate like I've done a hundred times and suddenly it felt like I had stuck a fork in the toaster again. Turns out my coil relocation to the side of the engine and apparently not very well insulated plug wires decided to jump through my jeans and wake me up a bit
  8. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    The Catskills are great. Northern towns seemed much more wary of a lone motorcyclist than southern towns, but that meant I had to tell less people it's actually a Harley.

20160826_135459_HDR.jpg

Crashed in Massachusetts again that night. Woke up early the next day to ride 300 miles straight to York Pennsylvania. 20160826_150222_HDR.jpg

Didn't see a whole lot on the way, was really trying to make some miles. Made it to York PA about 5pm and rode by the harley factory, didn't stop for fear of being beat up by a harley die hard. Turns out Market St in York PA is pretty rough. I'll leave it at that. Headed back to the hotel, got a little sleep.

Woke up a bit later than planned, threw my stuff together. Apparently I had some bad karma built up from my hotel activities and as soon as I let out the clutch and picked my feet up my front wheel locked up and threw me on the ground. Turns out I forgot I put a padlock through my front rotor. No fun. Picked myself up, and quickly got out of there.

I wasn't 5 miles down the road when I got the red white and blue behind me. He pulled me, and stated I didn't have any mirrors. I couldn't argue, but all I could think about was the fact Pennsylvania doesn't have any helmet laws yet I'm on the side of the rode over a mirror. Great. He really kept the public safe by writing me a 130$ ticket. He was even kind enough to check my Vin number for me. Hit the rode again and headed straight for clutchdumpindans house. He donated a tank bag to the cause and rode the last few miles home.

Attached Files:

9. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    So what do you do at midnight on a Tuesday after a few beers? That's right you clean your carb. Note this is a bst 40 off a Dr 650
    1.) Make sure yer old lady's asleep
    2.) Grab one of her pots the appropriate size. Also grab some pinesol from under the sink
    3.) Mix water x Pinesol x Carb parts
    4.)Fire up that old Coleman stove and get cooking.
    20160906_235509_HDR.jpg

(Optional) 6.) Believe it or not yer old lady's hiding a ultrasonic hand held carb cleaner on the bathroom sink. Bonus clean points.
    20160906_235707_HDR.jpg
    Turn your carbs until fully cooked, remove and hit with some brake cleaner
  10. AllBlak

AllBlak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I had checked the thread earlier.
    Woulda told you to try Spear St. If Rt 7 was your path thru B-Town.
    7is a mess these days.
    Spear will get you from th airport to Charlotte or Vic versa. More alternatves further east.
    Every Vermonter has two or three dirt road alt routes, in addition to the paved ones..
    Occasionally they use broken up (droid out) asphalt to repave gravel roads. That is a brutal surface..:bash
  11. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    I've never been drawn to Harleys, but I must say, you are NOT a poser! You ride that bike! Good job and good pics.
    Austin hayes likes this.
  12. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Ever wondered what a harley looked like on 606s? Here ya go

20160920_183333_HDR.jpg
  13. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Rode some local fire roads for a short ish overnight with clutchdumpindan this weekend, he's got most of the the pictures but here's the highlight of carnage..... 20160925_133411_HDR.jpg

Turns out jumping a sportster with a over chopped sprocket cover doesn't work out
    IMG_7631(1).jpg

Time to put her out of her misery....
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :kboom
  15. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Might be time to put some rear sets on her...
  16. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    I dig the chainsikle low sets but 400$ is steep, plus i would have to change my exhaust to fit them. May try to make up my own, might be beyond my fab skills
  17. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    20160926_174041_HDR.jpg
    New frame. Mock up only though, the guy lost the title. Weighing mono shock on extended swinger vs mono on dirt bike swinger vs extended swinger and dual shocks. Not clue what is best yet.
  18. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    *cough* Aluminum swinger and mono shock *cough cough*
  19. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Id say it depends on your level of engineering and fab skills. Since I dont have much of either, I will eventually be getting an extended swinger I can use my current shocks with until I pony up for some better ones. Also as far as I know some of the most famous and well tested off road sportsters have used extended swingarm dual shock style. For rearsets, its been discussed in other sportster build threads, using a flat bar across the bottom of the frame to mount the pegs to. I took the easiest route with chainsikle lowsets and they have not disappointed me
  20. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I was involved in a build of a sportster and we ran a 6" extender stock swing arm with a Buell Ulysses mono shock. The bike works well, but could stand to have a stiffer spring. Other than that it works well. The advantage to extending a stock swing arm... fabrication is fun... an aluminum would have been easier in all likelihood. Anyway, if you go that route, I have a stock swing arm if you want to make a deal.

NCM_0742.JPG
    spokester and mississippimadman like this.