Adventure Sportster Build AKA Piglet

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Austin hayes, May 28, 2016.

1. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should be able to pick up heim joints at your local industrial bolt supply house. My small-town supplier stocks everything I've ever needed.
  2. Austin hayes

Austin hayes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Figured out if I flip my master around and mount it in the stock location it I can cut and flip my stock brake lever to work. Gonna do the lever with the spool gun at work.

20161003_183406_HDR.jpg
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would go with a foldable steel brake lever. It won't snap off if hit hard, and can be bent cal into useable shape in the woods.
  4. rodteague

rodteague Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread for a while now, and admire your using the Sportster in what many are convinced is a "unconventional" purpose. I too believe the Sportster is far more capable than most assume. BUT, just replace the sprocket cover with a fully functional, unaltered oem part. I have run mine off road without issue. The sprocket cover should work fine with chain or belt in it's unaltered form. You are not saving any significant weight by cutting it. Put a uncut cover on and you will be structurally sound, w/ brake lever attached, for offload use. Or, am I missing something from this conversation? I've been riding mine hard offload for a couple of years now, with no issues. But, I haven't been dicking with altered parts either. Just saying':lol3 EDIT...... Don't reinvent the wheel.

Best Regards

Rod
  5. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Stock sucks. Everything on the bike besides the engine internals has been altered.

The reason it's cut is because my cam cover is cut and stock sprocket cover with cut cam cover would be be dumb looking.

And cut covers give me a stiffy.
  6. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Also the reason for not replacing it is I need rear sets for my level of riding. I can't effectively stand on my pegs with mid controls
  7. rodteague

Oddometer:
    I get it, But an altered sprocket cover maintains structural integrity. Chain sickle rear sets solves the problem without altering the structural integrity of the the sprocket cover. Again, why reinvent the wheel? I get doing "it on your own", but cutting the sprocket cover was central to your failure; just replace the cover and add a chain sickle rear set; problem solved.

Regards

Rod
  8. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    My exhaust is in the way, so new exhaust, which I would need to fab plus the expense of 400$ rearsets. I don't like the sprocket cover. I'm pretty young, 20. So I'm not blowing cash on this thing. Fabbing my own rearsets is also a learning experience even if it's a failure. I have a much different mindset than the majority of people when it comes to building bikes. The only thing purchased for it are things that I could not possibly make, wheels, shocks etc

Not to say your wrong. It's completely possible that I buy chainsikle rearsets one day but I'm gonna try to make my own first
    Webman likes this.
  9. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Got a picture of them there fancy rear sets? What makes them so special? I know a guy with some tools and scrap metal :amazon
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  10. rodteague

Oddometer:
    20 YO....... no freakin excuse. The fact you FU'd a sprocket cover...... glad you admitted it. You'll have to alter the exhaust...... good excuse.... but not so much. You've already altered the exhaust, and the master cylinder is not in play:lol3 Your explanation..... your own opinion; and not in support of the facts ( per your photo's), but well worth the experimentation. Have fun.... and keep it in perspective. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Regards

Rod
  11. Austin hayes

Oddometer:

If you've somehow taken my explanation as excuses, thats not the case. I owe no one an excuse for anything, nor do i owe you even an explanation as to why Ive decided against bolting on parts and calling it "mailorder custom".

However Ive read your build thread and see you have a very different way of acquiring parts, and I am sure UPS as been very grateful for the business. Thats not anything against your bike, its very nice, just not my style.
    rodteague likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Austin, I don't think Rod meant it the way it appears.

At 20 years old you are miles ahead of 90% of us, including my 52 year old self. You are doing great work, keeping the cost down, and having fun. That is what it is all about! :thumb
  13. rodteague

Oddometer:
    Jim's correct; I didn't intend it to come out quite the way it did. My apologies. I am a much more cautious person when it comes to the mods I make to all my projects. You, it appears, are much more comfortable throwing caution to the wind. That's okay, it's what makes your thread so entertaining. Good luck, I'll continue to follow and be a little less vocal.

regards

Rod
  14. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Understatement of the year :lol3
    ventuREss, Austin hayes and rodteague like this.
  15. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    The stock mids are actually fairly susceptible to breakage in rough use, probably mostly jumping with hard landings. I think it was bildozer on chopcult had his fail jumping his bike around a dirt track, not going big but I think he is a bigger guy. If you get it to work the way you are doing it mounted to the frame rather than the covers it should end up much stronger and is really the way harley should have made it. I applaud your patience and ingenuity at that age.
  16. Austin hayes

Oddometer:

I'm about 180 so not huge, but I'm 6'3'' so my knees are in the tank on stock mids and I would need a huge riser to stand comfortably with them. Cutting the cover was definitely a contributing factor to its failure. But I think it would have happened eventually with a stock cover if I continue to push how hard I ride, right now the weakest points for the bike are the foot controls and rear suspension. Both will be addressed this winter hopefully.

I apologize if I sounded disrespectful towards your bike rod, I fired that response off without putting any thought into it. Like I said before I have huge respect for anyone who builds custom motorcycles.
    16VGTIDave, JimVonBaden and rodteague like this.
  17. rodteague

Oddometer:
    No worries, I was harsh sounding myself and your response was deserving. Alls good. Late night posting mixed with a little bourbon never ends well:kboom Keep up the good work, I'll be following closely.

BTW, you made me think about my mods, so I did a little accounting. Once completed, my build will have over 20 parts fabricated by me; 11 off the shelf parts and 2 custom fabricated parts. It will also have 10 parts that have been re-purposed from milsurp and some junk I had lying around. Been meaning to do this for a while..... so thanks for the kick in the ars; I needed the motivation. :thumb

Regards

Rod
  18. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
  19. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Ride, Break, Fix repeat.
    20161010_142325_HDR.jpg
    ClutchDumpinDan likes this.
  20. Austin hayes

Oddometer:

Check the video out. First bike through is obviously me, no it didn't hydrolock. But it probably should have.