Adventure Sportster Build AKA Piglet

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Austin hayes, May 28, 2016.

1. Austin hayes

Austin hayes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would definitely save me quite a bit of guess work, thanks !
  2. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    What shock r u using and what stroke?
  3. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Currently a junk 15'' shock , I'll be upgrading but I haven't decided on the exact one I want .
  4. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Reason I ask is progressive makes a 15" and it only comes with 2 spring options. I used a 17" shock and would recommend not going that long. It will cause unnecessary chain rub issues.

You will end up with a shock stroke ratio of around 2:1 so you can just double the shock stroke to get close to your travel. So if you find a 4" stroke then you can count on 8" travel. The spring I had was 21-30 N/mm rate, but I had a secondary spring which made the total spring rate softer for the first half of the travel. I'll see if I can find the secondary spring and figure out the total rate for you. If you look through my first build thread the info is probably in there somewhere
  5. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you can have the head gasket R
    Having a hard time understanding that, as the shock mounts closet to the rear axle, how does the travel double the stroke?
  6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    It doesn't when he stretches the arm 4 inches but leaves the mount the stock distance from the swingarm pivot
  7. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Burned in the extension today and got it sitting on its own weight. 20161210_180819_HDR.jpg

Measured my shocks and they are 15.75 eye to eye , I could definitely go with a longer shock that had some sag , these things have maby 1/2'' sag with me on it .
    Clearance from top of tire to bottom of seat hoop is a issue, I built the hoop running a 16'' wheel, with more shock up travel I'll have major issues that will need addressed .
    ClutchDumpinDan likes this.
  8. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    i ended up with A rack from a gs grafted on to the front half of a stock rear fender. that kept the rear tire from hitting a fender and gave a nice place to mount luggage
  9. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Stripped her down for the winter tune up. Getting gaskets, and some paint. Possibly heads if I can find a set, front head exhaust studs all junked up, preferably Buell heads

20161221_191045_HDR.jpg
  10. Hvymax

Hvymax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is so what I was planning before I got a KLR. I will probably do it someday when I have the time. Stretching the swingarm would be first on my list.
  11. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    KLRs suck, get a sportster
    madrider5150 likes this.
  12. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
  13. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Are your forks the stock length or shortened? Its got a nice stance with the extended swingarm. Looks like a good time to powdercoat the frame..
  14. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Stock for the wp 50mm, they are compressed a bit in that pic since it's strapped to the table.
  15. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Been awhile since a update, frames bare, motors torn down waiting on a set of buell xb heads I scored, working on trimming as much excess from the bike as possible.

Need to order pistons, shocks and cams.

20170228_195312.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  16. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Are you still working on your own rear sets? Did you finish your swing arm extension?
  17. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Extension is done, no progress on rear sets, not sure what I'll do for them. Build direction has changed as life is always changing. She will be getting some better funding and more time, it's no longer my primary bike. Planning on more of a race bike, and it will probably end up at a few shows. Attention to detail has become more of the primary focus.
  18. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    Scored a set of 17.5'' fox float 2 air shocks today, planning on setting them at 16'' with me on the bike. Will net 8ish in'' of travel.

Xb12 heads need milled for carb/breather and I am looking for a set of xb9 pistons that net about 12-1 compression which is high but I'll be running hot cams with more overlap so real compression ratio will be lower.

Plan on keeping the hsr42 carb and building a hi 2-1 pipe with a cone engineering muffler. Scored a screaming eagle ignition module I may run, heard really good things about them. Not super pleased with my dynatek dualfire system.
  19. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    That sounds like fun, you know where to find me.

What size pipe? I've got a bunch of bends.
  20. Austin hayes

Oddometer:
    So I mocked her up on the new shocks 20170310_135347.jpg
    20170310_135329.jpg 20170310_135559.jpg

Pretty stoked on how it sits. Will sag some with the engine in it, which will be about right
    kraven and ClutchDumpinDan like this.