Adventure Travel Books from Road Dog Publications

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by LWRider, May 2, 2017.

1. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own Road Dog Publications, a publishing imprint dedicated to motorcycling and adventure travel. This imprint was started in 2011 and is growing. We now have 11 books available with five more in the works currently (May 2017). We strive to be a true "partner" with adventure travel writers and make it possible for them to share their stories. (We are always looking for new authors. Look at the "Authors Wanted" link at the website for more information.)

[​IMG]

We offer a 15% discount to ADVRider forum members (use the code advrider at checkout). This discount is only good for books bought on our website. If you prefer instead to order from Amazon, all these titles are also available there. For those who prefer Kindle or Nook, most of the books are available at Amazon and/or Barnes and Noble websites, some from the authors and some from Road Dog Publications

For details on each book and info on the authors, please visit the website, where you will also find my blog. Below is a list of the books currently on offer.

From our own Brent "Capt. Crash" Allen (Capt. Crash):
    Motorcycles, Life, and…
    "Sit down and talk motorcycles, life and…(fill in the blank) with award-winning riding instructor and creator of the popular “Howzit Done?” video series, Brent “Capt. Crash” Allen. Here are his thoughts about riding and life, and how they combine, told in a lighthearted tone."

5 starsA Really, Really Good Book On The Motorcycle Experience

A fun, easy to read yet thought provoking book on living your life as a motorcyclist. Each chapter is short and the author can be very entertaining at times. One of the easiest books I have ever read on a subject that the author obviously thinks is important. After reading this book it seems odd that there are not more like it since this seems like the best way to look at you and your life as a motorcyclist without getting unnecessarily serious about it.
    and

The Elemental Motorcylist
    "Brent’s second book offers more insights into life and riding and how they go together. This volume, while still told in the author’s typical easy-going tone, gets down to more specifics about being a better rider."

5 Stars—This is a "Must Read" for those who love riding.

If you like the "Captain Crash" motorcycle instructional videos on YouTube, this is a "must read". Crash brings humor, a wonderful perspective on life and his passion for riding to this book. You get to know the guy under the helmet and you will find out why his videos are so entertaining and instructive. Read it.

From Kirk Swanick:
    A Tale of Two Dusters and Other Stories
    "In this collection of tales, Kirk Swanick tells of growing up a gear head behind both the wheels of muscle cars and the handlebars of motorcycles and describes the joys and trials of riding"

5 Stars—fun read

Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
    I had a good time with this book. It reminded me of growing up around cars. My friends and I took a similar path.
    I want to start putting my car back together but then I would have to stop playing with all the project bikes.

From Zoë Cano:
    Bonneville Go or Bust
    "Zoë Cano dreamed of riding across the US, so she scrimped and saved, and poured over maps. Finally, she took a leap of faith, flew to the US, and began the adventure of a lifetime—riding solo from Boston to LA on a Triumph Bonneville."

5 Stars—Motorcycle Adventure + Travelogue + Personal Discovery = Winning Combination

Anyone who has ever swung a leg over a motorcycle--or even just imagined doing so--has, somewhere in the back of their mind, dreamed about firing up that bike and roaring off into the sunset for parts unknown. Zoe Cano was one of those dreamers, but unlike the rest of us, she really did it. And not only did she do it, she had the good sense to write about it, so the rest of us dreamers could experience it all with her.

Luckily, she is as skilled at describing her trip as she was at completing it. She faced many obstacles, large and small, along her journey from east coast to west. Some were minor inconveniences, others were major challenges, but she describes them all in an equally engaging way that really conveys a sense of time and place, a sense of being right there with her, that makes this book an enjoyable and involving read.

I grew up in an era when the greatest adventure one could imagine was the one that lay around the next bend during a long road trip; this book has rekindled that spirit in me. I own a Triumph Bonneville almost identical to the one Zoe rode across America, but my longest trip to-date is probably equal to one of her "short days" during her trip. Reading her book has inspired me, however, to plan a longer sojourn once the snow leaves--not because it describes an always idyllic experience, but rather because it doesn't. Some of "Bonneville Go or Bust" shares Zoe's fears and failures (attention all non-expert riders: be sure to read of Zoe's experience at the famed Deal's Gap!), and her honesty is both refreshing and compelling. That Zoe faced these kinds of challenges and overcame them is far more inspiring to me than the typical macho tale of canyon carving or triple-digit speed runs. Her book describes in detail many of the interesting people and places she got to know on her trip, so also succeeds as a travelogue. It is perhaps most focused, though, on what she learned about America and about herself, and she shares her discoveries in a way I found entertaining and extremely readable.

Speaking of readable, when I bought this book it was only available in electronic format; that I read the entire thing on my tiny iPhone screen in two days time is perhaps the greatest testament to my enjoyment of it. :-) Hats off (helmets off?) ☺ to Zoe for making her dream trip a reality, and, most especially, for making the record of it an entertaining and inspiring read.

and

Southern Escapades
    "Zoë takes in a corner of the US missed on her previous journey. Riding from Florida to Alabama and back through Georgia, she finds her way to Barber Vintage Festival, AIMExpo, and Daytona Bike Week."
    (and coming soon, Chilli, Skulls, & Tequila)
    "Zoë travels Baja."

5 Stars—
    Zoe has a great way of capturing both the spirit of the ride ...

This is a part of the US I've not traveled in, and to read about it from the POV of a Brit on the road on a British bike makes it truly unique. Zoe has a great way of capturing both the spirit of the ride and what she sees and feels along the way. Well worth the read.

From our own Isabel Dyson (partner to Byron1):
    Beads in the Headlight, a Flying Aga Tale
    "A British couple tackle riding from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego two-up on a 31 year-old BMW “airhead.” Join them on this epic journey across two continents."

5 Stars—Rolicking tale of adventure

This was recommended to me by someone who is mentioned in the book. It's a good recommendation. It's a worthwhile addition to any collection of long-distance motorcycle rider tales. The author Isabel is the pillion passenger on a trip from the northernmost Alaska to the bottom of South America, on an elderly air-cooled BMW. She very ably relates the trials and tribulations of the trip without making it seem like whining (often the problem with this sort of book.) She managed to keep the tale interesting and move it along quickly with the highlights of the tale standing out nicely. The ending is in the title - and is the frosting on the cake.

From Antonia "Ants" Bolingbroke-Kent:
    A Short Ride in the Jungle
    "A young woman tackles the famed Ho Chi Minh Trail alone on a diminutive pink Honda Cub armed only with her love of Southeast Asia and its people, and her wits."

'Elegantly written and modest about the bravery involved, the book deftly weaves together her trip with enough war history to provide context.'
    Ride Magazine

‘Fantastic.’
    Overland Magazine

‘Exceptionally well researched…personal, emotional…perfectly written, demonstrating just how travel by motorbike can be used to inform, educate and entertain the reader… a great book.’
    Adventure Bike Rider magazine

From Aaron Heinrich:
    Asphalt & Dirt, Life on Two Wheels
    "A compilation of profiles of both famous and relatively unknown people who ride, dispelling the myth of the stereotypical “biker” image."

From yours truly (Mike Fitterling, aka LWRider):
    Thoughts on the Road, Wrenching, Riding, and Reflecting
    "The founder of Road Dog Publications and Editor of Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Magazine, ponders his experience with motorcycles & riding, and how those two things intersect and influence his life."

After reading the 52 portraits and interviews that Heinrich has compiled in Asphalt & Dirt, I had to think about how motorcycling has influenced my life, and the lives of my friends and fellow riders. I realized that one common dream that we all share is that of integrating our motorcycling lives with our working lives and everyday lives – and these stories all illustrate successful paths that others have followed. It reinforces my belief that every person can find his or her own path in life, and that having a passion – like motorcycling – can help to guide the way.
    Jason Fogelson, Forbes magazine

and (just out)
    *Northeast by Northwest, Two Restorative Journeys
    *10% of the net proceeds from the sale of Northeast by Northwest will benefit the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, a 4 star charity as listed by Charity Navigator, which offers help to people regardless of income.
    "The author finds two motorcycle journeys of immense help staving off depression and the other effects of stress. Along the way, he discovers the beauty of North America and the kindness of its people."

5 Stars—
    Compelling and Adventurous

Michael's personal and honest insight of his life and his journey is one of the most captivating stories I have read in a long time. Truly a MUST read!!

From Graham Field, well-known traveler and regular on Adventure Rider Radio's RAW show (first time in print form in North America!):
    In Search of Greener Grass
    "With his game show winnings, Graham sets out solo on his KLR for Mongolia and beyond."

5 Stars—
    What an awesome and honest motorcycle riding story

What an awesome and honest motorcycle riding story....I felt like I was a part of the journey, and finished the book in 2 nights....I've listened to Graham Field on ADVENTURE RIDER RADIO, where he and other overlanders openly share their tips and experiences....I'm reading Graham's second book now, called Ureka, and it's just as good a read as 'Greener Grass'....and something cool; "I actually connected with Graham on Facebook....a cool way to keep track of his future adventure endeavors...

5 Stars—
    The "other" guidebook. Raw. Personal. Honest.

The (virtual) bookshelves in the "Adventure Travel" category have been filling up quickly, and it appears that there are several standards of writing; notably, the travel editorial style is on the forefront, chronologically depicting the explorers' methodical ways of getting from A-to-Z. This is not that type of book.

Adventure travel, much like long distance (IronButt) motorcycling, ask for preparation, strategic thinking, and methodical approaches to have any chances of succeeding. It is rather easy to fall into the methodical trap of writing, which would lead the author to nearly bullet point his/her days on the road to new experiences. This is not that type of book.

There is the inevitable glorification of the standards of adventure touring, brought to you courtesy of BMW, Touratech, Nikon, Klim, Garmin, SatPhone, what-have-you; the more sponsorship stickers are on the suits and bikes of the adventurer, the easier the task becomes, as money becomes an object of lesser worry. Time, content, delivery, looks, and preservation are the name of the game. This is not that type of book.

So, what is this book about? It's about one man, on seemingly inferior equipment, taking on the eastern hemisphere with but a compass, a map, a few items of clothing, 2 cell phones for emergency and social connectivity, and the hairdo of a hairband dating back to the 1980's.
    This book is a personal account of travel. The likes, dislikes, worries, rush, relaxation, fears, and mental fortitude it takes to keep moving, even when the final destination may remain nothing but an elusive goal.
    Certainly, there's some bashing in between the lines; notably, the author's dislike for certain products, and for certain conduct of certain, corporately sponsored riders.
    Going without a shower, narrowly escaping bone dry fuel tanks, but encountering unrivaled hospitality, with a glimpse behind the scenes of life-as-it-happens, provide accounts that come to life before your inner eye.
    However, it is that very inner eye, which may for most Americans, become their own obstacle. Get used to spirited language, and get your big boy/girl pants on, as even the conservative reader must have thought about utilizing colorful language at times.
    Field never comes across with a higher-than-thou attitude, on the contrary. His underdog, yet opinionated style, provide some interesting spice.
    Can one blame him for having a point of view? Absolutely! In a politically correct world, where narrow minds don't allow to see the past the perception of brand names. In any other fashion, the author's open, honest, and in your face verbiage is raw, seemingly unedited, and blatant. Refreshing.

Bottom line: If one wants to read a fast paced, personal, and raw account of overland travel; this is the book to get. It will grip you. It will make you go to bed later than you planned. And it will leave you cursing at the author the next day, when you walk around as if you're sleep deprived. Yet, with your curse comes a silent "thank you", as Graham Field has managed to stand out from the monotonous rest of the adventure authors.

and coming soon

Eureka (Graham decided to change the spelling for the NA edition) and Different Natures

More new books on the way!
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the discount, I've added you to the discount to members thread :thumb
  3. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  4. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look for Road Dog Publications books at the new Ace Cafe Orlando, opening today!
  5. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watch for Zoë's new book coming this summer! Expecting to release this, her third book, in late July/early August.

This time Zoë sets out to explore lesser-known parts of Baja on four wheels. The tale of her travels told in her own unique way.

[​IMG]
  6. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chilli, Skulls & Tequila is in production and expected to be available by the end of July 2017.

Chilli, Skulls & Tequila
    Notes from Baja California

ISBN-13 9781890623579, $21.95 (before your ADV discount), 354 Pages, Softcover

Join Zoë Cano once more, this time on a romp through Baja California discovering new and unique places, travelling on four wheels on this trip but that makes it no less an adventure!

Zoë has won a wide and devoted audience with her first two books on adventure across the United States coast to coast (Bonneville Go or Bust) and her ride of discovery throughout the South through Alabama, Georgia, and Florida (Southern Escapades). In this tale Zoë describes her journey wandering around this surprising land of Baja, that's so different from mainland Mexico, in her own unique way. In Chilli, Skulls & Tequila she weaves the story of her trip, the places she stays, stories from the past, and even recipes she discovers along the way, into an entertaining and engaging story.

Look for Chilli, Skulls & Tequila by the end of July 2017. It will be available here from Road Dog, at Amazon, and virtually any bookseller in North America and the UK. Kindle and Nook versions will follow the printed book as well. If you're really lucky, you may be able to snag a signed copy at one of the thirty shows Zoë attends around the UK each year.

[​IMG]
  7. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming next:

Man in the Saddle by Dutch author Paul Van Hoof. English translation. A story of a ride on a vintage Moto Guzzi from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego with some unusual twists along the way.
    Chasing America by Tracy Farr. A meandering series of rides to the four corners of the US. First time in print.
  8. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eureka by Graham Field is in the very last stages of production. Look for it by the end of August at the latest.
  9. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  10. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chilli, Skulls & Tequila now available for Kindle at amazon.com (ADV discount does not apply on Amazon) for $9.99. Nook takes a bit more work and should appear in a couple days.
  11. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chilli, Skulls & Tequila now available for Nook at bn.com (ADV discount does not apply on Barnes and Noble) for $9.99.
  12. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chiili, Skulls & Tequila now available in paperback!
  13. LWRider

LWRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zoë's new book, Chilli, Skulls & Tequila SOLD OUT by one pm at Bulldog Blast in Brackley UK!
    trc.rhubarb likes this.