Adventure vs MX boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bikeroz, Mar 1, 2017.

1. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I get older and thus sometimes wiser, I realise for my own good I probably need to get a pair of boots with better protection. Also because I fall off more frequently these days.
    Currently have a pair of Forma adventures but it is FAR from ideal when it comes to crash protection. So decided to look into something more robust and I'm just confused as to what is on offer and what works and what doesn't.

So I went to a shop and started bending some boots (Alpinestars & Gaerne) and now I am even more confused. Checked out Revzilla too and not helping my cause.
    Ideally...
    1. Ankle protection is my first priority (which my Forma Adventures scored very low on)
    2. Comfort on the pegs for anywhere between 2-6 days. And maybe a small degree of walking/wearing all day.
    3. Waterproof or 'resistant' would be a bonus, but likely will not find it in MX type boot. Or at least something that will not take ages to dry out (which I think Alpinestars Tech 7's suffers from?)

I did try on a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7's and had to go up one size from my normal shoe size as it was too narrow. I am impressed with the fact they don't bend sideways at or above the ankles. A big plus and they felt rather OK-ish.

Which other boots you guys use that fits the similar criteria?
    Sidi Crossfires an overkill?
    Gaerne SG 10?
    Alpinestar Toucan (too flexible above ankle?)
    Dan Diego and bcliff like this.
  2. DualSpaz

DualSpaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as ankle protections goes I think the Crossfires are probably the best out there. Most of my riding is on rocky single track and in 8 years never had a foot, ankle or shin injury. I can wear them all day with no discomfort. I wouldn't want to walk very far in them but, 30 minutes of walking isn't a problem for me.
    Dan Diego, anydavenow and bikeroz like this.
  3. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I went from Forma Adventure's to Sidi Adventure's and am happy with the change. Better protection and still fairly easy to walk in. I did put extra insoles in the Sidi's which help if standing on the pegs for a long time.
    Dan Diego and roast44 like this.
  4. MtnRider2

MtnRider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having broken my ankle wearing Dainese Torque Out boots (street) I went on a similar hunt. My biggest obstacle is 19" calves so my choices were exceptionally limited. I ended up getting the Crossfire 2 and rode them 10K from CA to Alaska and back last year. I wore my Aerostich Darien suit and had zero problems. The Sidi Adventure 2 boots are very good as well but not as robust. I wasn't able to fit any other sadly. On a side not if you may want to check out Daytona boots as well.
  5. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    I've got big calves and wide feet. Wearing the gaerne SG-10. I've don't several multi day trips in them. To be honest, not awesome for walking around but incredibly comfortable and protective while riding.
    orrj and roast44 like this.
  6. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the CrossFire 2 TA's and they do the trick. Wore them on a 10
    Day Backcountry trip and they are comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ankle protection is my number one priority in riding boots. My right ankle probably can't be fixed again. I absolutely cannot break it or tear anything again. So 99% of why I bought the Sidi Adventures for a dual sport boot is the mechanical ankle joint that doesn't allow any lateral movement and limits front and back motion.

No, they aren't as robust as my MX boots and I hate the boot tread sole for my style of riding. I am also not wild about the Velcro closure for ITB pants. I pulled them open a couple of times until I stopped using them with my ITB pants. But that hinged ankle with front and back stops gives me some confidence about not busting my ankle again.

Standing in them isn't an issue for me because I can't stand that long anyway (see above about my ankles). Plus Fastway footpegs change the whole comfort dynamic for standing anyway. I wouldn't want to walk for miles in the Sidi Adventures. But I don't mind wearing them all day. Pretty good boot for dual sport IMO.
    Dan Diego and Tall Man like this.
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
  9. MX Engineer

MX Engineer MX Racer

Oddometer:
    Make sure to try Fox Instinct. They are the latest and greatest MX boots. Excellent protection ankle and up. They are surprisingly tactile and comfortable at the foot and toe. Wider than Alpinestars and do not require a break-in. They are as comfortable as high top sneakers. I am drooling over them. All top riders wear them, just like they used to wear Alpinestars Tech-8 in the Jeremy McGrath's days.

Not waterproof, of course. But I think for dry multiple day tips it is a plus. Better ventilation and comfort.
  10. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Go with crossfire

Be advised

There is an optional "enduro" sole available. ...looks kinda like a hiking boot sole...I love them .. especially off the bike

Scott
  11. anydavenow

anydavenow Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I wear Tech 7s all the time* whether on the 990 or 450 and I feel totally naked without an MX boot. I would not feel happy going with less protection even on the 990 after some close calls where the boot saved me from injury.

I don't find walking in them an issue at all... apart from the horrendous squeaking which requires some silicone spray every now and then.

Waterproofing is the issue. Multi-day rides in the wet aren't pleasant but I've compromised with some Gore-Tex socks which do help and at least keep your feet warmer.

But seeing as I do currently have to choose I'll take a wet foot over a broken one!

* OK, I lie. I commute to work in 2nd gear in dress shoes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars toucan..comfortable out of the box. Wide toe box. Gtx. Immediately preferred it over sidi adv. II..
    Wodger63 likes this.
  13. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    Stuff I own.

Toucans: not suitable for serious dirt crashing, IMO. Did not do so hot for me but to be fair I went through the bars and my left foot got hung up on them before being launched free. Ankle joint hinge protection looks better than it performed. I still got ankle aggravation. It was one of my more spectacular ones.

Forma Terrain TX, TX Enduro: very protective. Super high value option especially if you purchase from Europe. Too many crashes and offs to count. They've done very well. Great grip panels on inner boot area. Take a beating.

Sidi Crossfire 2TA: not too much different from the Forma for protection, the finer points could be argued. More creature comforts and stylish. They look sharp as hell. I carry these in the truck in case there's any hot dual sport babes. Then I can swap them on.

I almost always put on my Formas because I have the Enduro version with the tread sole. I like it in the woods.

Stuff I don't own but like the looks of:

Garerne SG10,12
    Sidi Crossfire 3 -if they come out with a TA version I'll get em.
    Forma Predators

:-)

I guess the bottom line for me is I'd rather crash in any MX boot than a street boot, or even my ADV Toucans.
    GF-kam, Barakaiki and juicy flawless like this.
  14. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what I have and would highly recommend. I carry a pair of sandals on the bike if I need to walk more than a 100 yards or so but the SIDIs are all day comfortable while riding and provide great protection
  15. CO303

CO303 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of older Fox MX boots (I don't know what model) I use on my GSA. Good protection and I can walk around in them. I take hiking boots if I'm going to walk off the bike.
  16. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alpinestars. I broke my Tib-Fib wearing a pair of Sidi Adventure boots in 2013. While they saved me from being an amputee, I chose to switch to Alpinestars Tech 7s for anything more than a gravel road.
  17. carbean

carbean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sidi Crossfire 2 TA all the way.
    Barakaiki likes this.
  18. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow!
    So much great advice. Much appreciated.:thumb
  19. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about Falco Avantour? Robust, much stiffer and rigid than your Forma Adventures, no lateral ankle movement, said to be waterproof. Available in black or brown and black, comparatively inexpensive.

[​IMG]
  20. Crashes

Crashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Sidi Crossfire 2 TA. They had almost no brake in time. Not to bad to walk in for a half mile bake to the truck for gas. I have a friend that loves his TCX Desert Gore-Tex boots. They are 100 percent water proof good stiff sole and a nice bit of protection.

Attached Files: