Adventure vs MX boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bikeroz, Mar 1, 2017.

1. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Laughing pretty hard here

Why in the world do you need a desert boot to be waterproof ???

Last I checked desert = very little rain and water.

Now that would seem very appropriate if it was called the rain forest boot ; )

Scott
    9Realms likes this.
  2. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    bikeroz likes this.
  3. se950

se950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20170128_151453-1.jpg Was wearing sidi discovery
    1 when water filled boots from river crossings,water stayed in boot
    2 had no protection from any form of impacts
    3 feet got hot an sweaty.

Time for change
    TCX 2.1
    1 Full armour
    2 foot fits into booty
    3 walk around camp in bootys
    4 when full of water thay drain
    5 easy to walk in but noisy every step
    6 gortex socks if needed
    7 nee pads fit nicely into boot for total leg protection
  4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    45-5403BalOilBrwn.jpg

What about the Gaerne Balanced Oiled Boots? Very popular and fantastic reviews.
    Barakaiki likes this.
  5. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comfortable as hell but IMHO not the level of foot protection that comes with a TPU laden boot. The SIDI CrossFire 2 TA is such an all-around good boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Because near zero ankle protection.
    JensEskildsen likes this.
  7. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gaerne SG-10 an A-star Tech 7 are the ones I tried on with ample ankle protection.
    Couldn't find a pair of SIDI crossfires in size 10 (only 9.5) and they were very narrow.
    I normally wear size 9 shoe, but all boots I tried I had to go one size up. Reluctant to assume SIDI in size 10 will be fine as 9.5 was extremely tight.
    Narrowed it down to those 3 for now. I have a feeling for the money, Tech 7's will be it.
  8. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I purchased forma terrain enduro tx with waterproof sock from overseas for $220 shipped. I think its a good deal.
  9. thomas.vancouter

thomas.vancouter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have tech 7's which I bought second hand for 50 euro. I really like the protection and how comfortable they are while riding. But walking of the bike is like walking with ski boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After dropping my bike ('16 GSA) on my foot during a creek crossing, I decided I needed something more substantial than my Sidi touring boots. Probably overkill, but I just took delivery of a pair of Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS boots. These things are to boots what Black Dog is to skid plates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    To the OP
    Had the same decision to make after breaking my fibula low down on a dirt road fall. I now have the BMW GS Pro. Good protection, easy to use for long days standing up, and in this location, cheaper than the Crossfires
  12. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find a pair of SIDI's to see how they fit, nor any Forma Predators.
    I have tried on Gaerne SG10/11/12's in size 10. For me they were narrow across the big to little toe line. And on the inside they felt like wearing cloggs.
    Tried on the Alpinestar Tech 10, but not a fan of the bootie system as it felt even more narrow than Tech 7's
    Tried Tech 7 (non enduro) - size 10 was narrow and size 11 (even with thicker socks) were too large in length, but width was better. But on the inside they just feel very very comfortable when you put them on.

Not sure why reviews I read people mentioned going a size down in Alpinestars whilst I went one size up and still find it narrow with my duck feet?
    I've settled for a pair of Tech 7 Enduro's and hope they wear in over time. Fingers crossed.
  13. Vikingson57

Vikingson57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used to own a pair of Hipoint off road boots back in the 70s when I was racing desert in So Cal. They were amazing and comfortable and very well made. Hipoint's, I believe are now Alpinstar. And the Alpinstar boots do not fit me like the old hipoint boots did. One thing I need to deal with is I have very large calves. So the only off road boots that fit my calves are the Sidi and the Gaerne boots. I went with the Gaerne SG10s because they felt better when I tried them on. I am not unhappy I did. These are great boots and hold up very well. Walking is always a trick in them like any heavy duty boot would be. I have no ankle lateral ankle flex or hot spots from the fit. I would not hesitate to buy the Gaerne's but they fit my foot just right. Protection wise any good boot will protect but protecting comfortably is another thing and everyone's feet are different. So find what fits and feels good for you and ride on. As for hiking when off the bike...if I figure on a longer hike, I carry a pair of lightweight hikers in my saddle bags for that.
  14. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Yet another vote for Sidi Crossfire's, I would have surely broken my ankle several times over without them. One crash my ankle was pinned under the bike if I had worn lighter Dualsport boots my ankle would have been toast.
    Barakaiki likes this.
  15. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TCX Desert, bought them used in the flea market in early 2016. I wanted good protection and waterproof; over 5,000 dual sport miles on them with no complaints. I did crack an ankle bone wearing them when my leg got trapped under the bike and twisted in a freakish manner, but I am convinced they saved my ankle from severe permanent damage. I still wear them for that reason!
    JoToPe likes this.
  16. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So were you able to make the Tech 7's work for your wide feet?

17. AkiKazeta

AkiKazeta Jupiter's Travels

Oddometer:
    I've been riding with Sidi Adventure Goretex for 2 seasons now and I love these boots. They offer great protection and, once you put a decent insole into them, they are very comfortable for walking around in. I just got back from a month-long trip to Alaska in the Sidi Adventure boots and they came back looking just like they had when I left. The only knock against these boots is that the leather rubs against the plastic bindings and the squeaking can drive you crazy. You can check through some of the other threads on this issue to see people's various remedies for the squeaking.
  18. Katokay

Katokay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up atomic Moto has the predator is on sale for 350$
  19. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey LostInPA,

I came across your post. I am in the process of looking for a more protective boot for occasional big bike riding off road. Protection against drops. Not MX or crazy scramble riding. My bike is a BMW F800GS and my current boots are Forma Terra, which are great waterproof adventure touring boots. With more than average protection.

I came across the Forma Terrain TX Enduro. You seem to have first hand experience and comparison to others like SIDI Crossfire 2 TA. So, the Forma Terrain TX Enduro has comparable protection and features to top of food chain Adventure / MX boots?

I need a boot that is still walkable, relatively lightweight ( in 3 to 4 lbs. range ), plenty of ankle protection and lateral support.

Kam
  20. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another good thing about Crossfires is although not waterproof they do dry relatively quickly.