Adventure vs MX boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bikeroz, Mar 1, 2017.

1. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    After an ankle fracture in some low end Alpine-Star Tech 3's I stepped it up big time to the Gaerne SG-12's... Just putting them on you know they are going to do what they are meant for and I think they are honestly more comfortable. Maybe a tad heavy but who cares when it's the protection that really matters.

I looked at the sidis and while they are a nice piece of kit it just seemed like they pinched the front of the ankle as you bent over and they were incredibly narrow. Love the way they look though.
  2. JerryJakarta

JerryJakarta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    quite true for under 400lbs motorcycle.. easier to lift the bike. :rofl
  3. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got some of the Fox Instict orr-road boot and am very happy with them they stick on the pegs better and have been great when walking on slippery ground. They do fit a size larger than I usually would wear.
    Just be sure to tighten the buckle and hinge screw, lost a screw after a few rides, but they did send me one , FREE, in the mail real quick when I called to ask about getting one. I have since fixed that from happening again to me.
    But I still am loving them, almost like being broke in right out the box. Might be a little bulky at the top for your over the boots pants.
  4. Mark712

Mark712 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tech 7s for me. Great boot, good protection and good price.
  5. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    I've been reading posts in this thread with interest. I recently had my right foot broken when it was sandwiched between my Tiger 800 and a large rock, as the bike fell over on the right side. We were riding a jeep trail when it got real rocky, I put my right foot down to stabilize myself and it slipped out causing the bike to fall to the right, my foot got caught between the bike and a big rock, next thing, crunch. So, as I read through here, I'm not sure if an MX boot would have helped from that kind of impact, a side shot with just a sole to help brace the impact. Think of laying a boot on it's side in the driveway (medial side up), then having a tip over to the right where the bike/upper crash bar region falls on the boot. I was wearing my favorite boots, Alpinestars Toucan. Now, I'm positive an MX boot might have more protection from twisting and flexion issues, but a straight on side impact I have some doubt. Again, there are always compromises but I wish they would run crash tests on boots, and rate them with a rating system that riders use to help determine which boot was best for their riding style. Too much to ask for? Probably, and maybe costly, oh well, if this happens in the future I'd like the credit. :lol3

Anyone else have this situation come up, and the outcome with what boots?
    Oh, and I'm waiting for some Crossfire 3 SRS boots to be delivered. :D
  6. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There never is a guarantee of "no injury", whatever the boot. But anyway you can check by yourself that MX boots actually have far more impact protection, from the sole, the top of the foot, the front, the back, or the sides.
    I have both Toucan and SG12 and the later one is closer to a ski boot (with hinges) protection wise...

As for crash tests and boots, there is a CE certification: EN 13634. Main test is abrasion but there also is rigidity and perforation tests. But there are only two levels and i think the Toucan was already level 2 (higher level)everywhere when i bough it.